SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : My theology: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Re: My theology: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

Krispy, I didn't reject directly your statement and question, but in the context of your post, you are missing something more important that needs firstly to be answered, that is: What it means to love God? Otherwise, we can decline into just theoretical reasoning, without practical benefit.

Here are the thoughts of a dear brother, which I think are touching the core:

We are missing that we are limited in our knowledge WHO IS GOD. And that's why, to say "I love God" is everything simply based on presumption, that you already know fully WHO IS GOD.
And this is not true.
You cannot love God, if you don't know who He is.
Knowing God is one [b]long and deep[/b] process, and not something that we can receive by presumption that we have, and now what it is left to us to love God.
You can love God, by the measure you know Him.

And when you know more of Him, it can happen that you are far from loving God. That's why the greatest battle is, WHO HE IS [i]in reality[/i].

The real thing is to know Him and His character and thoughts about us in reality. His practical commandments. And examing ourselves in the light of that, because we could be in great delusion, thinking that we love Him and pleasing Him. Which I think, we all have been there, and are yet, just depends on the measure. That's why let us focus on that, pursuing to know Him and examing our own hearts in the light of that knowledge.

Kire

2007/12/4 12:52Profile
mml

Re:

Quote:
I am afraid of sentimentalism, emotionalism and abstract use of terms like "pleasing God", "holiness", "love God". And also of illusion of thinking that we please Him, when we please our fleshly desires.

Ahh, well assured.., each of us is held accountable to GOD, be there emotional nonsense or works of faith. I do realize that there are all too much emotionalism in the "christian" circle these days.

However, "work(s)" and "do(s)", at times, can very well be just some small doses of praise, exhortations, and expressions of that GODward love, be it emotional or sentimental, to CHRIST and to one another.

Thankfully and happily, I'm encouraged by some of the emotions and sentiments expressed by GOD's people here, and I hope to return the likekind to some of you via prayers and a few inadequate words.

Yes, I do love GOD, but it's always because HE first loves me, even at this moment. Holiness, I myself could never produce any, if I tell any of you I could, I'd be lying. Good works? Mine are as good as the thieves' by THE Cross,:(, may be worse, so there, for this moment in time, I can only offer a bit of my expression of love and sentiment of gratitude to our wonderful LORD for some of you here.

I rest contented that the Grace of our Father will only let me enjoy that precious Fruit of the Spirit (CHRIST), and the [i]pleasure[/i] of HIS Holiness. I'm sure HE does not see me as a workless, actionless and fruitless parasite, but is pleased with that Blood of Christ alone, covering all of my ...

Christ alone be gloried,
mamaluk

2007/12/4 12:59Profile
Rahman

Two things that Scare me: Freedom and Idleness ...

--- Yo Bro Krisp ...

i looked at your title beginning with "My" Theology, and instatly thought what's "His" Theology about this ... This reminds me of sis D's thread some time back: Love God Then Do What You Want ...

i guess i don't get it either because back then i could only see: Love God Then Do What He Wants, and with your thread all i can see is: Love God first, then you are free to live as He pleases - or something to this effect ...

i think i can just about fathom what you're getting at tho to me it seems like playing with words (not a jab here bro, just my honest opinion) ... For me there is a certain sense of freedom i have/know/feel in our Lord for scripture does say "Whom He's set free is free indeed" ... But i guess my problem is that i only see this freedom in terms of being set free spiritually from the laws of sin and death to salvation via being washed in His shed blood at Calvary, but i DON'T know/have/feel or even see that freedom in terms of my own everyday personal earthly life in that it's still yoked by His precepts, and tho His yoke is light (as opposed to satans heavy one) - it's still a yoke, and i must never forget that i'm a servant of God, bought and paid for with a price ...

i don't know, maybe i'm wrong here, way to tense in this or something, because altho i love God, perhaps i haven't attained the type of love you or Sis D is refering to that'll make me feel free to live as i please, or even moreso trust that i would to His glory out of just love alone, or perhaps i'm just way to suspect of anything that puts a "me" where i believe there should be a "He" to keep me energized and empowered to such Godly living ... Love of Him as i'm getting older i will admit has been more instrumental in my submitting and surrendering to Him, but prior to my getting here it was always how much i owe Him (my very eternal life) that was the major driving factor for me ... But really i guess the real truth of the matter is i don't want to be free to do what i want, or live as i want ... i want to do what He wants me to do, and as He pleases, and pray to Him continually that He make it plain to me whatever work He wants me to do ... i want to know His ultimate pupose for my life, and pray to God that i'm on the right track in what's been one strange journey thus far, because really if He's not got a job/work for me past years end i won't know what to do, save "go a fishin" literally ...

You know the thought of personal freedom in the same sentence with God actually gives me a scary feeling in the pit of my stomach ... Truth be told i'm very afraid of such freedom in attempting to choosing my direction, maybe this is a serious character flaw in me, but i surely do hope and pray not only does He have a full time, all encompassing, time consuming job for me, but that also He'll make it very plain & soon ... Even in love with Him, any kind of idelness scares me, so really i don't want to be that free ...

Enuf of my rambling here, but glad you posted this bro Krisp as it's made me think upon the subject again and i'm sure it's all part of His working out Rom. 8:28 in my behalf ... i'm at a crux of a transition place here where i'm about to become "free" one way or the other ... Free in something, or finally free of it ... His will be done ...

Blessings in Christ Jesus bro! ---

2007/12/4 13:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, I didn't reject directly your statement and question, but in the context of your post, you are missing something more important that needs firstly to be answered, that is: What it means to love God? Otherwise, we can decline into just theoretical reasoning, without practical benefit.

I think I understand that now... I am sorry if I seemed to be totally dismissing you. Sometimes my words come across a lot stronger than I intend. I think you're right. It's a good questions to ask.

How do we know we love God? From the human end we look at the emotional charge we think we should have, but love is more than emotional. Love is a command, first of all. But it is also a committment. So what does it really mean to be committed to God? And love is a verb as well... so how do we show our love to God?

In the end tho, once we've considered all these things, what I find interesting is that for me... I realize just how small and incapable I am, and how awesome HE is.

Krispy

2007/12/4 13:53

Re: Two things that Scare me: Freedom and Idleness ...

Rahman...

Quote:
i looked at your title beginning with "My" Theology, and instatly thought what's "His" Theology about this ... This reminds me of sis D's thread some time back: Love God Then Do What You Want ...

Oh great! Now I'm gonna be accused of plagerism!! LOL... I never saw that thread.

Quote:
i think i can just about fathom what you're getting at tho to me it seems like playing with words (not a jab here bro, just my honest opinion) ...

It is a play on words, brother. At first glance (or hearing, as was the case Sunday) the believer will bristle, and then start explaining why we cant live as we please... because they are only looking at the surface. I got the same reactions Sunday. But as the discussion developed and people really started to think about that statement and all it entails... people really started to go deep with this. And it's happening here too.

It's an old teacher's trick.

I have some responses to some of your other thoughts, brother, but I'm tight on time this afternoon. And I kinda wanted to just facilitate this discussion instead of telling everyone what I think, or my opinions. I'm hoping to see where this goes and let the Lord use this discussion to minister to me and help me see some things I'm still missing.

I'm sure there are others who will address some of your questions as well.

This is a great discussion.

Krispy

2007/12/4 14:00
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Love God first, then you are free to live as you please

The inversion of this statement is:

[i]If you don't love God first, you are not free to live as you please. [/i] And we all know that such a statement is not true. Plenty of non-believers live exactly how they please.

But consider:

[i]If you love God first, you are empowered to live a life that pleases Him[/i]

Because the inversion of it states:

[i]If you don't love God first, you are not empowered to live a life that pleases Him.[/i] And we know this to be a true statement.

This ought to open a few more doors for balanced discussion (and be less treacherous to a carnal believer). I'm not heckling; I understand where Krispy is coming from, and also where Kire and Pursuit are coming from, and I bless God for the balance.

Brother Paul

2007/12/4 14:08Profile
LiveforGod

Re:

Amen brother Paul, I liked that better, I understand what Krispy is saying, but I belive that a person can not change of his own accord or rather can not do what the Lord pleases on his own strenght. A person by himself has a perverted will and can not be anything else but what he already is, A God hating person. It is when God lives through us that we stop being what we where and it is no longer us livig, but Christ living in us and through us. There is a compilation called Crucified with Christ by Paris Reidhead wich talks just about this. I think it is well worth listening to. here is the lik.
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=15790

God Bless.

2007/12/4 15:06Profile

Just to set the record straight.

It was Augustine, who said "Love God, and do what you like."

2007/12/4 16:10
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Liberty

Reply to Krispy
All the books of the New Testament beginning with the second chapter of Acts, teach the Perfect Law of Liberty. Even the book of James but it requires careful study.

2007/12/4 16:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
It was Augustine, who said "Love God, and do what you like."

Grrrreat... now I'm unknowingly quoting one of the granddaddies of Catholicism.

It's time I drink the Kool-Aid.

:-P

Krispy

2007/12/4 16:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy