SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do you have to be baptised?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
whyate

Do you have to be baptised?

I have not yet been baptised. I don't know or understand what the scriptures say about it.

The only thing I can gather is:

I think you are supposed to be baptised but the Lord has not led me be, maybe because I have never been in that place in my walk yet, and that is why he has not given me understanding on that matter?

2007/11/30 23:12Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re: Do you have to be baptised?

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; he that believeth not shall be damned

If you believe, you must be baptized

2007/11/30 23:58Profile
JCGarc55

There is a video teaching on baptism on youtube
(that I recommend) which might help you:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qwlmPTjHow]Baptism - the biblical method[/url]

2007/12/1 4:23Profile

If one has made Jesus both Lord and Savior you have been baptized with HIS SPIRIT.
ref:
Luke 3:16
16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
KJV

ref:
Acts 1:5-8
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
KJV

In response to that their are two ordiances in the church. Water Baptism and Communion.

Water Baptism is a outward expression of inward change.
ref:
Rom 6:4-8

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
KJV

Does the water in itself do anything?
ref:
1 Peter 3:20-21
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
KJV

Who is this for?
ref:
Acts 2:38-42
38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-for all whom the Lord our God will call."
40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

We are not water baptized to be saved but because we are saved we follow the first command he gave us after we are saved and have been sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.
ref:
Eph 1:13
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,
KJV

It is HIM that works in us both to will and to do HIS good pleasure.
ref:
2 Tim 1:12-14
12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
KJV
Conclusion:
Gal 2:20-21
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
KJV

2007/12/1 6:55
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Do you have to be baptized?

[i]Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.[/i] Mat 3:13-17

Quote:
I think you are supposed to be baptised but the Lord has not led me

The Lord gave us a tremendous example of Himself when he underwent His baptism, ours is quite different. Brother, it is not a matter of being led but of desire to do as He did, to give expression to your own assimilation into His death and resurrection. There is much that could and has been said, try a search on "Baptism" here.

Besides, it is a most incredible moment in your walk ... Something that I don't often hear and occurred me;

Why wouldn't you?

2007/12/1 7:34Profile
Tears_of_joy

Quote:

I have not yet been baptised. I don't know or understand what the scriptures say about it.

The only thing I can gather is:

I think you are supposed to be baptised but the Lord has not led me be, maybe because I have never been in that place in my walk yet, and that is why he has not given me understanding on that matter?

Are you part of a local spiritual family? Do you have teacher or elder which need to instruct and guide you into these steps of the faith? Do you sit under some godly man from which you can learn?

2007/12/1 8:02Profile
whyate

No, I don't have any fellowship close. As you can see from my other post here, "Ungodly Husband? what a struggle.", my husband does not have a relationship with God and does not seen to have any interest in it. I do have some fellowship down in the US, but I can't just go down there. I do not currently go to church nor do I know where to go. I would love to find a church with simular belief to my friend in Colorado. www.achurchinfortcollins.org. But I have not come across anyone like that here and I don't think it is right to go from church to church to church until you find a paster that you like.

2007/12/1 13:01Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Hello whyate, I haven't read the thread you said, but thank you for the answer.
Pray for wisdom and favour from the Lord, to show you healthy and solid biblical fellowship that you can join, especially some godly elderly sisters. This is one of the most important matters, especially in the days that are coming. You need your spiritual family, and I believe God is faithful to answer your prayers.

Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus.

2007/12/1 13:20Profile
JCGarc55

Re:

Quote:
I don't think it is right to go from church to church to church until you find a paster that you like.

I don't think it's a question of finding a pastor "you like" but finding a Pastor that is a true Pastor that will minister Grace and Truth to you. I went from church to church before and it wasn't because I was not willing to commit somewhere. It's because it is very difficult to find churches where I live that are not caught up in the seeker friendly methods. Many of them were doing the same sermon series! but that's another topic. ;-) I suggest you search for a church home. I don't see anything wrong with it. The alternative is sitting at home and not being in a fellowship and forsaking the assemblying of the saints which is worse IMO.

2007/12/4 11:15Profile

Re:

If you know another believer you can have that brother baptise you in a creek, swimming pool, bathtub... whatever. Nothing in scripture proclaims that it has to be done by a minister or in a river.

It should be done, if possible, publicly because it is you making a publicl confession of faith. But if thats not possible, have a brother baptize you whereever you can get your body under water.

Krispy

2007/12/4 11:49

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy