SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : PERFECTION is the only way.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
whyate

PERFECTION is the only way.

Perfection is possible. Perfection is the only way.

Proverbs 2:20-22

20That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.

21For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.

22But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.

Isaiah 42:18-20

18Hear, ye deaf; and look, ye blind, that ye may see.

19Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant?

20Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.

This may be long but I felt led by the Lord to post this.. It is worth your while.

Genesis 6:8-10

8But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

9These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Genesis 17

1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him,....

2 Samuel 22:32-34

32For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

33God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.

34He maketh my feet like hinds' feet: and setteth me upon my high places.

1 Kings 8:60-62

60That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

61Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.

2 Chronicles 16:9

9For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.

2 Chronicles 19:9

9And he charged them, saying, Thus shall ye do in the fear of the LORD, faithfully, and with a perfect heart.

2 Chronicles 25:2

2And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, but not with a perfect heart.

Job 1:1

Job 1
1There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Psalm 37:36-38

36Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

37Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.

38But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.

Psalm 64:3-5

3Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:

4That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.

5They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psalm 101:1-3

1I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.

2I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

3I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Psalm 101:5-7

5Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

6Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.

7He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.

Psalm 138:7-8

7Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.

8The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Proverbs 11:4-6 (King James Version)

4Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.

5The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness.

6The righteousness of the upright shall deliver them: but transgressors shall be taken in their own naughtiness.

Matthew 5:47-48

47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 19:20-22

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Luke 6:39-41

39And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

40The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

41And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Luke 8:13-15

13They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luke 13:32

32And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

John 17:22-24

22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Romans 12:1-3

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

1 Corinthians 2:5-7

5That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

6Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

2 Corinthians 7:1-3

1Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man.

3I speak not this to condemn you: for I have said before, that ye are in our hearts to die and live with you.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10

8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 13:11

11Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

2 Peter 3:13-15

13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

14Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Colossians 1:27-29

27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

29Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

1 Thessalonians 3:10

10Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hebrews 5:8-10 (King James Version)

8Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

10Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

Hebrews 6:1-3

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 13:21

21Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

James 1:3-5

3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

James 2:21-23

21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

1 Peter 5:9-11

9Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

11To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1 John 2:4-6

4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 John 4:17-19

17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19We love him, because he first loved us.

Revelation 3:1-3 (King James Version)

1And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

2Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

3Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Philippians 2:14-16

14Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

15That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

16Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

2007/11/30 14:30Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: PERFECTION is the only way.

Perfection is the only way. We are perfected through Christ, and Him alone.

2007/11/30 14:40Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Hebrews 8-10, we're made perfect by the sacrifice of Christ. Galatians 2-5, we are made just, attaining unto righteousness which is by faith. Romans 8-11, the Jews who sought the righteousness which is by the law missed it, while the Gentiles attained to righteousness by faith.

Meanwhile, for God's sake, as His children, we are moved by the Spirit to seek after present holiness of character, reaching towards the prize of the upward calling.

2007/11/30 16:38Profile
whyate

Re:

Hebrews 10

14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Sanctified is the key here.

2007/11/30 21:48Profile

Re:

Quote:

Miccah wrote:
Perfection is the only way. We are perfected through Christ, and Him alone.

Thanks Christiaan. I was going to post something on these lines too, being tired of discussions/arguments on whether or not WE can attain perfection.

Indeed perfection is the only way. Jesus is Perfection and He is the Way!

And if He is in us there should be no problem.

It's the outworking of this truth that often causes problems.

By the way, "perfection" in the New Testament means ended, finished, completed. We tend to think in terms of clinically pure, but I believe it's more to do with heart-purity, single-heartedness, willingness to respond - a desire to follow the Lord that is greater than any other desires; however much such desires may clamour at the surface of our lives. It is this that the Lord seeks.

I also believe that this is the reason that the Lord said, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I [by comparison] hated." Jacopb desired God, and the things of God - even htough he chose wrong ways of achieving his aims. But Esau couldn't care less.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God"

Also, true perfection can't be achieved by seeking it, only as His gift as He is increasingly allowed to have His way in us.

Thank you for this thread.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/12/1 12:43
theopenlife

Re:

Hi, Whyate. Welcome to SI! I appreciate your zeal for having holiness of character. Without a doubt, Christ has called us to pattern ourselves after His image.

I do sincerely hope that you will read over the passages I have collected here for your edification and improvement. I was blessed greatly in arranging this for you.

Concerning Hebrews 10:14, which says, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified", you wrote, "Sanctified is the key here."

I agree, the meaning of that word "sanctified" is of great importance. The original term is the Greek [b]hagiazo[/b], which appears 29 times in the New Testament. Interestingly, as I looked at every one of its occurrences, I found more than 21 of them are used in a particular way, with the other instances not so directly pertaining to the discussion.

Come with me, and let's see how the term is used...

John 10:36, "Do you say of Him whom the Father [b]sanctified[/b] and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?"

The sanctification which Christ here refers to is not moral sanctification, but is the choosing of the Father, who chose Him to be Christ. The next verse also describes this "sanctification" of Christ.

John 17:19, "And for their sakes [b]I sanctify Myself[/b], that they also may be sanctified by the truth."

Again, Christ could not be improved morally, thus this "sanctification" refers not to any cleansing from past moral failures, but to his consecration unto a specific purpose, namely, the cross. Somehow, our Lord expected that His work on the cross, and more specifically the truth related to it, would "sanctify" a specific group of people referred to here as "they."

Compare this to verse 24 of the same chapter, "Father, I desire that [b]they[/b] also [b]whom You gave Me[/b] may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me." Because this is a prayer of Christ, bear in mind the His earlier words, "All that I ask for, the Father gives to me." Whatever Christ prays, He receives, because He prays with perfect faith according to the will of God. Let's look at the next instance.

Acts 20:32, "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified."

Whether or not "sanctified" here refers to their being "chosen" or being "morally improved", we see very clearly that it is God and the word of His grace which is able to build up and prepare a greater inheritance. Inheritance is reserved for the children, and not for the strangers. How does one become a child of God?
Ephesians 1:3-6, "Blessed be the [b]God and Father[/b] of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has [b]blessed us with every spiritual blessing[/b] in the heavenly places in Christ,
4 just [b]as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world[/b], that we should be holy and without blame before Him, [b]in love 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ[/b] to Himself, [b]according to the good pleasure of His will[/b],
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which [b]He made us accepted[/b] in the Beloved."

It is here very apparent that this son-ship was ordained by the Father, and made a reality in Jesus Christ, and that it was ordained with certainty from before the foundation of the earth for all to whom it would come. Grace!

In Acts 26:17-18, Christ says to Paul, "I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are [b]sanctified by faith in Me[/b]."

Here our Lord says exactly how believers receive forgiveness of sins and separation from the kingdom of darkness and Satan, namely by faith in Christ. He does not tell them to separate and then receive forgiveness, but rather explains that the word itself will open the eyes of God's elect, who are then fully forgiven according to their faith in the sacrifice and imputed righteousness of Christ.

Paul describes his fulfilling of this ministry in Romans 15:15-16.

"I have written more boldly... that I might be a minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering [b]the gospel of God[/b], that the offering of the Gentiles might be acceptable, [b]sanctified by the Holy Spirit[/b]."

We are relieved to discover that this sanctification comes by the Holy Spirit. Compare Peter's words in the opening to his first epistle, "elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ."

Because God had fore-loved them in grace, above their inevitable sinfulness which would come through Adam (Romans 5) God elected these people to salvation. In order to be saved, one must obey the command to repent from dead works and believe on Christ's mercy. Therefore, by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit, God brings them to obey the gospel call, whereby they instantly receive the sprinkling of Christ's atoning blood. This is why Peter says in the next sentence, "According to his great mercy, He has [b]caused us to be born again[/b] to a living hope [b]through the resurrection of Jesus Christ[/b] from the dead."

Hallelujahs, anyone?

The term appears again in 1 Cor 1:2, where Paul writes, "To those who are [b]sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ[/b] our Lord, both theirs and ours."

Remember now that Christ sanctified Himself unto the cross so that His people, given to Him by the Father, could be sanctified by the truth of the gospel. This truth, in a word, is that all who sincerely call upon Christ to be saved shall be saved, and were elect from before the foundation of the world. Recall Romans 10:9, "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, [b]you will be saved[/b]." And verse 13, "For [b]whosoever shall call[/b] upon the name of the Lord [b]shall be saved[/b]. "

Paul continues to remind the Corinthians of this "sanctifying" work in chapter 6, verse 11. Note the tense of the terms:

"But you [b]were[/b] washed, but you [b]were[/b] sanctified, but you [b]were[/b] justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

This washing, sanctifying, and justifying has already been accomplished in these people to whom Paul writes. And yet what is Paul writing them about? Sin! Paul is writing to Christians and assuring them that, so many as have truly believed on Christ, have been sanctified unto salvation by the merit of Christ's blood, and that they must continue on in loving and reverent obedience. Their obedience is not improve the death of Christ, but to acknowledge it and to comfort their own consciences, while demonstrating godliness to others.

And now we come to Hebrews 2:10-11.

"For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in [b]bringing many sons to glory[/b], to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
11 For both [b]He who sanctifies[/b] and [b]those who are sanctified[/b] are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren."

From other scriptures we have already visited, and many others, we know that [b]in a certain sure sense Christ has already succeeded[/b] at the cross in saving all of His people for whose sins His blood made propitiation. Therefore, referring to the sacrifice of Christ, the author affirms that the Captain of our salvation has "brought many sons to glory."

Yet, in another sense, [b]every individual saint must at some point in life come to personal faith in Christ[/b] in order to receive the application of Christ's atonement. Some translations render the latter instance of [b]hagiazo[/b] as "being sanctified"; I respond that insomuch as not all of the saints placed their faith in Christ at once, let alone those not yet born, such as ourselves, I believe the author describes the whole church, present and future, as "those who are being sanctified". Paul was sanctified to salvation in the first century. Others were sanctified to salvation throughout the years up to now. We, as a church body not yet fully gathered, are "being sanctified".

Another case is Hebrews 9:13-15, which also uses the term [b]hagiazo[/b].

"For if [b]the blood of bulls and goats[/b] and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, [b]sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh[/b] , 14 how much more shall [b]the blood of Christ[/b], who through the eternal Spirit [b]offered Himself without spot[/b] to God, [b]cleanse your conscience from dead works[/b] to serve the living God? 15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the [b]new covenant[/b], by means of death, for the [b]redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant[/b], that [b]those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance[/b]."

If there is one thing certain about the sanctifying which came by the blood of bulls and goats, it is that the offering itself did not guarantee an immediate perfection of actual character in the life of the one for whom it was made. What it did perform was a transfer of imputed ceremonial righteousness, based on the covenant God made with Moses and Israel. Now the author tells us that under the new and better covenant, made by the offering of Christ Himself, we are perfectly sanctified from all sins and our flesh is purified in the sight of God. This ought to - and does, with time - cleanse our consciences from dead works, to serve the living God with grace and gratitude.

At last, the verse which we first discussed, Hebrews 10:14. Perhaps we should take it with some context, going from verse 10 to 14.

"By that will [i]we have been sanctified[/i] [b]through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all[/b].
11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
12 But this Man, after He had offered [b]one sacrifice for sins forever[/b], sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has [b]perfected forever those who are being sanctified[/b]."

Again it is apparent that this sanctification refers to something accomplished by Christ. It is a change of legal standing which has already taken place for every believer, hence the passage says, "we have been", and not, "we shall be sanctified." How was it that these saints were "perfected forever"? The writer tells us "through one sacrifice."

There are several more instances, such as Hebrews 13:12, and Jude 1:1, and Ephesians 5:26, but I see no need to say again what is written above.

As for the conclusion, I recommend looking at the events in Acts 10, 11, and 13.

God bless you!

Acts 10:43-45
43"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name [b]whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins[/b]."
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Acts 11:14-18

14[Peter] shall tell thee [b]words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.[/b]
15And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17Forasmuch then as [b]God gave them the like gift[/b] as he did unto us, [b]who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ[/b]; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles [b]granted repentance unto life[/b].

Acts 13:38-39
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the [b]forgiveness of sins[/b]:
39 And by him [b]all that believe are justified from all things[/b], from which [b]ye could not be justified by the law of Moses[/b].

2007/12/1 16:29Profile
kingsson

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Re:

Quote:
Without a doubt, Christ has called us to pattern ourselves after His image.

I don't mean to be semantical here, but is it us patterning ourselves after Christ's image, or is it us dying to ourselves and taking on His image? Is it a "changed life"? I believe it is rather an EXCHANGED LIFE as Hudson Taylor called it. As long as I am trying to be like Jesus, I will fail. As I put off this old man and put on Christ - that is, take HIS life in exchange for mine - THEN I am perfected. Yet, not I, but Christ is formed in me. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Gal. 2:20. We get so frustrated trying to "live the Christian life". There is only One Who has ever managed that, and the only chance we have is to die to ourselves and let HIS life take over. This is His offer, and He paid the price for it all. The Cross is not so much an invitation to the "abundant life" but rather an invitation to death. The "abundant life" is then a product of that death. God is the END, not the MEANS.

2007/12/3 14:50Profile

Re:

Quote:

kingsson wrote:
Quote:
Without a doubt, Christ has called us to pattern ourselves after His image.

I don't mean to be semantical here, but is it us patterning ourselves after Christ's image, or is it us dying to ourselves and taking on His image? Is it a "changed life"? I believe it is rather an EXCHANGED LIFE as Hudson Taylor called it. As long as I am trying to be like Jesus, I will fail. As I put off this old man and put on Christ - that is, take HIS life in exchange for mine - THEN I am perfected. Yet, not I, but Christ is formed in me. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Gal. 2:20. We get so frustrated trying to "live the Christian life". There is only One Who has ever managed that, and the only chance we have is to die to ourselves and let HIS life take over. This is His offer, and He paid the price for it all. The Cross is not so much an invitation to the "abundant life" but rather an invitation to death. The "abundant life" is then a product of that death. God is the END, not the MEANS.

AMEN!!!

When will we learn that we can't pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps.

In fact it's an insult to the Lord, and His provision for us, to try.

Remember the parable of the man without the wedding garment? The garments were traditionally supplied by the host, so there was no excuse for not wearing one.

in Him

Jeannette

2007/12/3 16:04

Re: PERFECTION is the only way.

Quote:
Perfection is possible. Perfection is the only way.

[b]Jesus is the only way[/b]!

As soon as you reach perfection, let me know... and then I'll point out your pride. :-)

Welcome to SI!!

Krispy

2007/12/3 16:06
kingsson

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Re:

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast
Save in the death of Christ, my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

So go the words of the old hymn, and as long as we view it as "our perfection" we will be doomed to fail - and simply full of pride (quite right, Krispy!). It is not MY perfection, but being "made perfect in Him." IN HIM is the key. "Perfect" in the scriptural context simply means "complete". We are only complete in Christ.

2007/12/3 17:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy