SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Church Buildings vs House Churches

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I would like to point out that those of us who meet together in House Church do not meet as a "club". That is something for those who knit, have classic cars, and wear silly hats, j/k.

Most people attend church just like they would a college class. Here are a list of things about college classrooms.

1) You must pay tuition.

2)It's nearly immoral to question the professor. If you do talk to the professor, there is usually a part of you that just wants brownie points. Either that or you just want to get a better grade.

3)When you come to class, no talking. Sit down, be quiet, and listen. If it's a good day there might be a movie or something to watch.

4) The only time you talk to the people in the class is right before or after class. You might get with them some other time, but only if you need something.

5) Your only there to graduate.

I'm sure most of you can put the parrallels together. :-o

2007/11/30 16:57Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:

Tears_of_joy wrote:
I would be thankful if you read again the post and ask if something made confusion.

Thank you very much.
Kire

Brother Kire,

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. I have been known to do that at times, hence the back and forth with the postings. I stand corrected.

Blessings

2007/11/30 17:06Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Brother Kire,

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. I have been known to do that at times, hence the back and forth with the postings. I stand corrected.

Blessings

Grace and peace from Jesus unto you also, brother.

2007/11/30 20:09Profile
reformer

Re:

I have always been an advocate of going to a local fellowship. Those that know me from earlier thread concerning this matter, will probably gasp! I once was against home churches but now very much considering it. i don't believe that I am able to try a house church yet. There are many obstacles that I must get over. "Church" has away of making you feel institutionalized. Once you get used to it for years you have a hard time adjusting to something else. After leaving a church, that subscribed to the the "How to grow your church" manual, I have such a different view than ever before.

I don't think meeting in the building is the problem, the problem is the system within the building.

2007/11/30 21:44Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re:

the early church was meeting in houses because they were a persecuted church...
china for instance.
Try and be a christian in pakastan, or some of the other radical muslum countries of today...
House churches are probably the only way...
Constantine made it possible for Christians to worship without blantant persecution, praise God.
I honestly believe a persecuted church is a stronger church. Why be luke warm as a believer when your persecuted?
I do have a few problems with house churches, because I was in one for awhile.
lack of accountability for moral charector, no one wanted to be the heavy..
and it was hard to put a stop to goofy doctrine with no one who would have the final say what was conscidered good doctrine or bad doctrine.
but there may be other house churches who do quite well, and I would like the closeness that it does offer.
my two cents.

2007/11/30 22:26Profile

Re:

I have attended a house church off and on for about 10 years now. It has it's ups and downs.It's no different than SI, except your sitting together in a living room. :-)

It's really great when you have good leadership which was what we were always lacking. Not anyone really to teach but to have the oversight and keep things going in the right direction just like SI.

It's also really nice eating together. The fellowship seems to always be nicer at the dinner table or fellowshipping afterwards. I'm a little tired again with the Institutional church right now and Im ready to get back to house church again.

2007/11/30 23:06
Mattie

Re:

Tears of Joy, what you said was also very true. The issue is a body of believers becoming jealous for the glory of God. It isn't about locality as much as about a corporate jealousy for God's name to be honored.

True Fellowship is a wonderful book!

2007/11/30 23:42Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Quote:
I would like to point out that those of us who meet together in House Church do not meet as a "club". That is something for those who knit, have classic cars, and wear silly hats, j/k.

Most people attend church just like they would a college class. Here are a list of things about college classrooms.

1) You must pay tuition.

2)It's nearly immoral to question the professor. If you do talk to the professor, there is usually a part of you that just wants brownie points. Either that or you just want to get a better grade.

3)When you come to class, no talking. Sit down, be quiet, and listen. If it's a good day there might be a movie or something to watch.

4) The only time you talk to the people in the class is right before or after class. You might get with them some other time, but only if you need something.

5) Your only there to graduate.

I'm sure most of you can put the parallels together. :-o

I was asked to clarify this. It really wasn't directly for or against any type of church structure but about the commonly mentality of going "to church" or attending a fellowship. Here are the parallels.

1) Most people think going to church is about tithing. If you don't give a certain way, your not welcome.

2) The non-spoken rule is to never question your pastor. If you do your rebelling against authority.

3) Most aren't encouraged to be involved. Sitting and listening to your pastor sermonize is enough. If it's a good day, something worth watching may happen.

4) Most don't have any connection with the people other than saying "Hi" or something short before or after the service.

5) People only go to church because they think it's what they need to go to heaven.

2007/12/1 13:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Wilderness Sojournings by Choice

As far as giving weekly at church fellowships and enduring the sovereignty of a pastor we may not agree 100% with, we need to know that these are the very things God uses to test us. A recalcitrant, unwise spirit will gripe to others and stir strife among brethren and make all of his/her qualms publically known. He or she will publically say that "we don't need to pay tithes - it's old Testament law" or "the Pastor shouldn't have a monarchial position in this fellowship" and thus they bring instability and confusion to the minds of those whom God has not yet spoken to concerning this. They usurp the role of the Holy Spirit with their own contaminated spirit and would diffuse their own unsavory odor among the flock of God.

I have found that over the years God uses the principle of the tithe and spiritual submission at the pastoral level to engender discipline, humility, and refining for His choicest saints. Many people - and some reading this right now - cannot accept this. Men are fueled to bring confusion to such things usually by way of personal gripes and deep-seated issues they feel prompted to "make known all." A fool will open his mouth without discretion and reveal all the secrets of his heart, but a wise man will keep them in and ponder and wait for more illumination from God.

Many house churches had their birth in the seat of spiritual pride. Of course, there are execptions to this, but most house church people I've talked to are bitter about something or someone and demonstrate no sense of the grace and glory of God. Conversely, there are many tradtional churchgoing people of the same temperature. Therefore, whether you attend a house church or a tradtional church has no bearing whatsoever on your maturing in God (I wish it were that easy).

I would, in fact, dissuade people from aligning themselves with independant house churches and instead have them look to be broken, humbled under a Pastor they may not agree 100% with. I don't agree with my Pastor on a few things (both doctrinally and musically) but God would have me submit to him. If I were to let my pride and emotions take control, I would leave the church and step out of the will of God.

If you want to be a first-rate Christian, let God break you and teach you patience and humility. It may take years and years before He finally calls you out, but one day He will, and honor you for all the years you honored Him by submitting "not my will, but Thy will, O Lord." If you step out prematurely you'll only extend your wilderness sojourning.

Brother Paul

2007/12/1 13:49Profile

Re:

Personally PreachParsly, I enjoyed your post.

In many cases it takes longer to get ready for "Church" than the "Service" lasts, also.

Now a days at College - you don't have to "worry about what to wear" as much.

Another difference is, they don't stress the "Homework/Studying" as much as College does.

Thanks for the comparison.

2007/12/1 13:51

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy