SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you conquer Non christian music in a heathen enviroment?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I would just like to state, for Katy-dids benefit, that I have yet to hear ANY kind of Christian music... even hymns... that did not sound like some kind of music or another out there in the world.

What makes a particular style of music "Christian"? The Bible doesnt tell me anything about it one way or the other... so if someone could please enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

:-)

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about styles, not artists or lyrics. That stuff is obvious.

Krispy

2007/11/30 12:55

Re:

Hi Krispy,

You may be correct there.

However "9 inch Nails", isn't that head banger Christian rock?

My nephew was into all of that kind of Christian Rock, and even played for a Christian Rock band.

3 years ago he died of the worse kind of cancer there is. I'm not saying the rock music gave him the cancer. But during the end, while in the hospital, he was listening to this through his head phones. One night the nurses saw that his vital signs and facial expression were so out of whacked they didn't know what to do. Taking the head phones off they could hear the music. These Nurses were Christians. The got some hymns and replaced the rock and roll with the hymns, and believe it or not, his vital signs or what ever concerned them went back to normal and his facial expression became peaceful.

Now, the issue is, this MUSIC, not words affect us. That is a fact Krispy. And the music can work people up into an emotional frenzy. Satan works on our emotions, and he knows how to do this through music….worldly music.

But you are correct. I remember years ago hearing the other version of Amazing Grace. I was with a friend who invited me to church. During communion they were playing what I thought was “Oh Danny Boy” and I was shocked. I said, " Mom, why were they playing Oh Danny Boy from the Danny Thomas Show?", that’s not Christian!

Love in Christ
Katy-Did :-)

2007/11/30 13:18

Re:

Quote:
However "9 inch Nails", isn't that head banger Christian rock?

Actually, I've never heard anyone call 9 Inch Nails a Christian band... including the band themself. They are about as far from being Christian as a band can get.

I think there is a time everything, including music and different music styles. When I'm weight lifting at the gym, hymns dont cut it for me. But when I'm alone with the Lord, they do. Keith Green's song "Asleep In The Light" is not a song that someone would play during a wedding ceremony... but at a revival service it would fit in great.

Dont know your nephew, dont know the music he was listening too... if it was 9 Inch Nails, well, they are bad enough to make a pig want to take a bath. I guess my face would be contorted too. The nurses did the right thing.

But then.... opera music makes my face get all contorted, and yet some people love it.

(by the way, please understand that I'm not in any way making light of what your nephew went thru...)

By the way, sorry to hear about your nephew. Glad to hear he knows the Lord. I says "knowns" because he knows Him better now than any of us ever have.

Krispy

2007/11/30 14:57

Re:

Quote:
But then.... opera music makes my face get all contorted, and yet some people love it.

Krispy,

There is a teacher in Indiana who kept the kids in detention after school. For punishment he would make them listen to one hour of Frank Sinatra. The kids hated it so much, it almost put after school detention out of business.

Love in Christ
Katy :-)

2007/11/30 15:28

Re:

LOL... yea, that would make me change my ways!

Krispy

2007/11/30 15:32

Re: How do you conquer Non christian music in a heathen enviroment?

Quote:
but how do you set yoru mind on things above when working in a place like that.

You simply ask the LORD to get them to turn it down or turn it off. The LORD places us in these situations so that we can turn to Him for help and be a testimony. Whatever you do, don't tell them your a Christian and you don't like that kind of music. Just let the LORD shine through you and He'll give you a song to rise above the clamour. Let the LORD build your faith by asking Him for these needs to be met in your workplace. Again, these challenges are there for us to run to Him for help.

God Bless

2007/11/30 19:10

Re:

Quote:
“Oh Danny Boy” and I was shocked. I said, " Mom, why were they playing Oh Danny Boy from the Danny Thomas Show?", that’s not Christian!

Actually Dottie Rambo wrote lyrics to the music of Danny Boy., "He looked beyond my faults"

The song goes like this:
Quote:
Amazing Grace, shall always be my song of praise. For it was grace that brought me liberty. I do not know, just why He came to love me so. He looked beyond my fault and saw my need.

Chorus: I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary, To view the cross, where Jesus died for me. How marvelous, His grace that caught my falling soul. He Looked beyond my fault and saw my need.

Krispy regarding Opera, I love it. Not all of it, but only the ones that have a great voice and a melody. Some of it gets me weeping..........I know what a sap, right?! ;-)

2007/11/30 19:20
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

What happens is that I listen to my bible and am blessed in the morning before I go to work and then polluted by the music there.

Tit 1:15 - Show Context
To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.

This is the verse that I want to obey. I sometimes try and sing to get my mind on Jesus sometimes I am too busy to think about it.

I want to walk into a place like that and let the light of Jesus in me affect it rather than it affect me

2007/11/30 22:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
Actually Dottie Rambo wrote lyrics to the music of Danny Boy., "He looked beyond my faults"

Compliments, I love the words to this verson, and really love the song. The first time I heard it as a kid, was only a piano version during communion without words. I thought they were playing the theme song to the Danny Thomas Show.

Once I heard the words, Oh My, it is the Song of my heart!!!

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/12/2 16:44

Re:

Quote:
I want to walk into a place like that and let the light of Jesus in me affect it rather than it affect me

It takes a renewed mind and that takes the rest of our lives. In the meantime, we just surrender our ears and eyes and mind to the Lord.

We witness in a filthy world of sin and sinners, and need to remember Jesus did too. He spent long quiet times with God, and too needed time away from all the stuff going on.

We're perfected in Love, and brought to a place of maturity where we can go to the lost, in a lost and sinful world, and let the Light of the Love of Christ shine through us in spite of the surroundings.

The lost see that love in the absence of judgementalism.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/12/2 16:53

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy