SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you conquer Non christian music in a heathen enviroment?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

How do you conquer Non christian music in a heathen enviroment?

I work am working in the royal mail at the moment and have to listen to 8 hours of heathen music. The machines are so loud that I am so glad to play Christian music when I get home.
I get half an hour break but how do you set yoru mind on things above when working in a place like that.

2007/11/30 6:08Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: How do you conquer Non christian music in a heathen enviroment?

I suppose I am ill equipt to answer this question since I work from home and it is 16 years since I worked outside the home, but I'll share my past experience with you.

To be honest, it never affected me, why, I don't know. If you were to ask me of some of the songs that were around then, or named them to me, or the singers, I would not know what you are talking about.

Are you allowed to use earphones at work? If so, listen to your own music. If not, use your break times to listen to your own music or read the word.

Guess you don't know any Christians at your workplace, that would help, depending on the level of their spirituality.

The sad thing is, some Christians are okay with worldly music. Speaks for itself, but they are.

I trust God will help you in your endeavour to glorify Him in every area of your life.

God bless.

2007/11/30 6:20Profile

Re:

I'm w/ enid... I work at home as well.

I would consider looking for another job if I were you. You're not a slave. You can go elsewhere.

Krispy

2007/11/30 7:32
Compton

Re:

Dom,,

I agree with this.

Quote:
You're not a slave.

In the least, without knowing the situation, would it be possible for you to ask management to lower the volume of the music that is playing?

You mentioned you work for the Royal Mail. Well, just don't go postal over this situation. ;-)

MC

2007/11/30 8:08Profile

Re:

Maybe we should concentrate on trying to conquer non Christian music in a Christian environment first. It's really hard to make a statement when much of the today's Christian music sounds the same, including hard head banger Christian rock.

I know this is a touchy subject, but shouldn't we clean up our own house before we point fingers at someone elses?

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/11/30 9:05
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Katy,

What you are talking about is a whole different subject to the one deltadom wants help with.

We can talk about what's wrong with the church and it's music forever and still get nowhere.

Some even complain about certain hymns saying they are not Christian but roman catholic.

Where does it end?

Another thread can easily be started concerning that topic, or check out some of the numerous threads already started.

Let's deal with the question in hand.

God bless.

2007/11/30 10:24Profile

Hi Dom,

I have a few other thoughts.

First, if the music is unhealthily loud and you are working with machinery which is loud, you may have a legal right to wear baffling ear muffs, to protect your hearing. This would also cut out the music.

When I read your question, my first thought was 'ear plugs?'.

Additionally, if the environment is so loud that you cannot carry on conversation with colleagues, you may be allowed to listen to radio through an earphone - and of course, if you could get ear muffs, this might something you could do without specifically asking permission.

Particularly if the management already have a licence to play radio music in your workplace (and it is not simply cds being blasted out over loudspeakers) this would be a way forward. But if they are not playing radio music, you may not be allowed to either, because it's a legal requirement to licence a place of work for radio.

It is definitely worth your ringing your local environmental health department for advice. You can usually be put through to them from the number for your town hall. They have instrumentation for measuring noise levels, and if the amount of noise caused by the machinery is above a certain pitch, there may be a requirement on Royal Mail to provide you with industrial ear protection. It may be an option you can take anyway, and they cannot prevent you, if you find the noise levels distressing...

For instance, if your ears are ringing when you leave work, that is a hearing hazzard. They cannot make you [u]not[/u] wear ear muffs, even if no-one else's ears are ringing.

2007/11/30 10:40
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Dom...

I'll be praying for your situation, brother. Personally, I've found that it is helpful to learn to "tune out" the things of the world by finely tuning our minds and hearts upon "things above."

It is amazing that we can walk amongst the people and ways of this world with our line of communication with God still open. We need to move away from seeing prayer as simply a phone conversation that takes place solely on our knees and take the advice of Paul to "pray without ceasing" (I Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:8). This means we can always remember, always cry out (even if in our hearts), always remaining "in His presence" by learning to simply walk with God. When our focus is on "things above," it makes our days go by in a much more productive and blessed way!

Remember, the Lord didn't come to take us "out of the world" -- but to "keep us" while we are here (John 17:13-21). Rather, he hopes to take the world out of us. I remember how weird it felt when I first came to the Lord to walk down the loud, crowded halls of my public school while praying. I remember feeling like I didn't belong here. I felt like a pilgrim. But we must also remember that we are Ambassadors of Christ. We are meant to introduce Christ to those we come into contact with.

Be encouraged, dear brother! We will be praying for you. I have felt your pain. But more importantly, the Lord himself has felt your pain. He left Heaven to come and walk amongst a people who mostly did not recognize Him (and eventually lied about, betrayed and murdered Him). But remember the encouragement found in Hebrews 12:1-2...

Quote:

[b]1[/b] Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

[b]2[/b] Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Be encouraged!

Matthew 11:28-30
Jeremiah 29:11-13
Exodus 33:11
Matthew 5:8, 16

2007/11/30 11:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
First, if the music is unhealthily loud and you are working with machinery which is loud, you may have a legal right to wear baffling ear muffs, to protect your hearing. This would also cut out the music.

If you're working around machinery, loud music could be a safety issue as well. You may want to look into that avenue.

Krispy

2007/11/30 11:13

Quote:
I work am working in the royal mail at the moment and have to listen to 8 hours of heathen music. The machines are so loud that I am so glad to play Christian music when I get home.

I believe I did keep to the subject here.
I agree with cchhrriiss, that we are in the world but not of the world, and we keep our mind on Christ.

Christians need to be careful not to ***force*** Christianity and Christian likes and dislikes on the unsaved in an unsaved world.

If we are going to work in a world of unsaved and try to force OUR principles on others not yet saved, then we've lost the battle before it has started.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/11/30 11:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy