Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Whatsoever you bind on earth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spitfire

Whatsoever you bind on earth

I awoke this morning with this scripture running through my head: [i][color=0066FF] "And I will give unto you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Matthew 16:18-20[/color][/i]

Having come from the prosperity gospel, I was taught that this applied to every believer. Jesus, in this passage, was speaking to Peter. I have often spoken into the spirit, out loud, and declared things loosed or bound. I couldn't find much in the Bible commentary I looked at. Anyone have insight concerning this scripture?

2007/11/30 5:30Profile
Spitfire

Re: Whatsoever you bind on earth

While we are on this topic of scriptures I was taught that applied to me in the "prosperity gospel", I'd like to also look at the idea that was presented to me that I have the same authority as Jesus Christ. I was taught that I am a joint heir with Jesus and therefore all things that he enjoys as the Son of God, I also enjoy.

One scripture, in particular that seems to be a part of my foundation is this one from Hebrews 2:9, [i][color=0066FF]"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood..."[/color][/i]

I was taught that I am a priest unto God. What think ye of these things?

2007/11/30 5:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I can tell this will be one of those threads that will run, because much has been said concerning this subject, and there is more yet to say.

I looked up the words bind and loose in the dictionary, here's what I got.

Bind - tie or fasten tightly, restrain, put in bonds, constrict, obstruct.

Loose - not or no longer held by bonds or restraint, not confined, detached, not held together or contained or fixed.

I think we get the message.

This scripture is repeated in Matthew 18v18 which is followed by 'Again, I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven'

The context in which Jesus uses this verse differs in both scriptures, which shows it's valid in any situation pertaining to the church.

Notice in both scriptures, in mentions the church in the context that it is used.

As for binding and loosing that is so prevalent in some circles, in my eyes, it's little more than a mantra that is used by those who have heard about it, yet don't understand what they are doing.

And when I say mantra, I mean it.

If it worked so well, how come we see what we see going on in the world and in the church?

How come every demon hasn't been bound by now, whatever that means.

I've seen people work themselves up with all the binding and loosing, and nothing changes in their lives or whatever it was they were binding. And I'm talking about years down the line.

We need to focus on the Cross.

God bless.

2007/11/30 5:58Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

If we have the same authority as Jesus Christ, that means we can all walk on water, right?

The scripture you refer to should be 1 Peter 2v9.

You know what, there is great need for humility in this area.

We became partakers because Israel were disobedient. And also, we were called out of darkness. Nothing to glory about!

It says in Revelation 5v10, 'And have made us kings and priests to our God, and we shall reign on the earth'.

However, the part, 'reign on the earth' refers to the thousand year reign of Christ, and to those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus, Rev 20v4.

That's it.

God bless.

2007/11/30 6:10Profile
Spitfire

Re: walking on water

Quote:
If we have the same authority as Jesus Christ, that means we can all walk on water, right?

Are we not supposed to walk on water? Jesus told Peter to come to him and then rebuked him when he sank for "little faith". I'm just wondering if we are supposed to search our faith to see if we are really in it? To be honest, my entire theology cart has been upset over the past 3 years and I want to be careful that I don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Love, Dian.

2007/11/30 7:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I wasn't being serious when I said about walking on water. I hope you understand that.

I only said that because I heard a pastor who knew this woman who believed a man was Jesus.

The pastor told her if he really is Jesus, tell him to walk on water. She never returned to the church.

Our minds are being attacked by the enemy all the time. He will cause us to question God's word, as he did Eve in Eden, hence the mess we are in today. It worked.

Eph 6v16 talks about the firey darts of the wicked one, which we use the sheild of faith to quench.

Either we believe God or we do not. Whose right, God, or the man God created?

I know we will hear questionable teaching. It's good if you question it, instead of accepting everything everyone says, no matter who it is.

Maybe that is why some go astray, by accepting teachings without even testing it by the word of God.

At least you still have a theology. Trust God.

God bless.

2007/11/30 8:08Profile
Sharlene

Houston, Tx

These are spirits that are STRAIGHT OUT OF THE WORD OF GOD. I hope that they post right without been jumbled up. If they all run together I can send them as an attach if anyone is interested.

We can bind and loose these spirits over us, property etc. We do have the authority over all things/spirits through Jesus Christ and His Blood. Amen!

BIND

LK
13:11

SPIRIT OF INFIRMITY
LK 13:11 SPIRIT OF WEAKNESS
1JN
4:3 SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST
11 TIM 1:7 SPIRIT OF FEAR
MK 9:25 DEAF SPIRIT
ISA 19:14 PERVERSE SPIRIT
MK
9:25 DUMB SPIRIT
1 SAM 1:15 SORROWFUL SPIRIT
MATT 9:27 BLIND SPIRIT
ROM 11:8 SPIRIT OF SLUMBER
MK 9:25
Rev 18:2

SPIRIT FOUL
Hos 5:4 SPIRIT OF WHOREDOMS
MT. 12:43, MK. 1:23, 26; 3:30, 5:2, 8; 7:25 UNCLEAN SPIRIT
DEUT
13:15 DESTROYING SPIRIT
ACTS 16:16 SPIRIT OF DEVANTION
II COR
11:4 ANOTHER SPIRIT
ROM 8:15 SPIRIT OF BONDAGE
PROV 14:29 HASTY OF SPIRIT
EX 23:1 FALSE DOCTRINE
NUM 5:14 JEALOUS OF SPIRIT
I JN 4:6 SPIRIT OF ERROR
PROV 16:18 HAUGHTY SPIRIT
I TIM 4:1 SEDUCING SPIRIT
1 KING 21:5 SAD SPIRIT
PROV. 18:14 WOUNDED SPIRIT
I KINGS 22:22, -23; II CH. 18:21-22

SPIRIT LYING
ECC 7:8 PROUD SPIRIT
ISA 4:4 SPIRIT OF BURNING
LEV. 20:27; I SAM. 28:7-8; I CH. 10:13; II CH. 33:16

FAMILIAR SPIRIT
ISA 19:13 SPIRIT OF EGYPT
ISA 61:3
SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS
LK 4:33 SPIRIT OF UNCLEAN DEVIL
I COR 2:12 SPIRIT OF THE WORLD

JUDGES 9:23;I SAM. 16:14, 23; 18:10; 19:9 EVIL SPIRIT

LOOSE

EX 28:3 SPIRIT OF WISDOM

MT 5:23 POOR IN SPIRIT

GEN 1:2 SPIRIT OF GOD

MT 10:20 SPIRIT OF YOUR FATHER

JUD
3:10 SPIRIT OF THE LORD

LK
1:30 STRONG IN SPIRIT

PSALM 51:10 RIGHT SPIRIT

JN 14:17 SPIRIT OF TRUTH

PSALM 51:17 HOLY SPIRIT

ROM 8:2 SPIRIT OF LIFE

ROM
51:17 BROKEN SPIRIT
Rom 8:15

SPIRIT OF ADOPTION
PSALM 76:12 SPIRIT OF PRINCES

ROM 12:11 FERVENT IN SPIRIT PRO 11:13 FAITHFUL SPIRIT

I COR 4:21 SPIRIT OF MEEKNESS

PRO 16:19 HUMBLE SPIRIT

II COR 4:13 SPIRIT OF FAITH

PRO 17:27 EXCELLENT SPIRIT

PHIL 1:19 SPIRIT OF JESUS

PRO 20:27 SPIRIT OF MAN

HEB 9:14 ETERNAL SPIRI

ECC 7:8 PATIENT IN SPIRIT

I PET 3:4 MEEK IN SPIRIT

I PET 3:4 QUIET IN SPIRIT

ECC 10:4 SPIRIT OF THE RULER

I PET 4:14 SPIRIT OF GLORY

ISA 4:4 SPIRIT OF JUDGEMENT

REV 19:10 SPIRIT OF PROPHECY

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF UNDERSTANDING

II KINGS 2:15 SPIRIT OF ELIJAH

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF COUNSEL

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT MIGHT

PSALM 34:18 CONTRITE SPIRIT

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF KNOWLEDGE

PSALM 143:10 GOOD SPIRIT
EZEK 11:19 NEW SPIRIT

ISA 29:10 SPIRIT OF DEEP SLEEP

ZEC 12:10 SPIRIT OF SUPPLICATION

ZEC. 12:10; HEB. 10:29

SPIRIT OF GRACE ROM 1:4 SPIRIT OF HOLINESS ROM 8:9
SPIRIT OF CHRIST I COR 15:45 QUICKENING SPIRIT PSALM 51:12
FREE SPIRIT

2007/11/30 8:46Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I've found out over the years, that it is better to spend the time with God, than to concern myself with evil spirits.

They are real, but I've seen people distracted with 'demonology' as opposed to focusing on God.

God does not tell His people to seek Him for nothing.

God bless.

2007/11/30 8:55Profile
Sharlene

Houston, Tx

Dear Enid,

I agree with you, balance is a must. Maybe you didn't look at the whole list that I posted. If you scroll down you will find a list of Godly Spirits as well. I believe praying the following over ourselves and others is very profitable.

Here they are again

LOOSE

EX 28:3 SPIRIT OF WISDOM

MT 5:23 POOR IN SPIRIT

GEN 1:2 SPIRIT OF GOD

MT 10:20 SPIRIT OF YOUR FATHER

JUD 3:10 SPIRIT OF THE LORD

LK 1:30 STRONG IN SPIRIT

PSALM 51:10 RIGHT SPIRIT

JN 14:17 SPIRIT OF TRUTH

PSALM 51:17 HOLY SPIRIT

ROM 8:2 SPIRIT OF LIFE

ROM 51:17 BROKEN SPIRIT

Rom 8:15 SPIRIT OF ADOPTION

PSALM 76:12 SPIRIT OF PRINCES

ROM 12:11 FERVENT IN SPIRIT

PRO 11:13 FAITHFUL SPIRIT

I COR 4:21 SPIRIT OF MEEKNESS

PRO 16:19 HUMBLE SPIRIT

II COR 4:13 SPIRIT OF FAITH

PRO 17:27 EXCELLENT SPIRIT

PHIL 1:19 SPIRIT OF JESUS

PRO 20:27 SPIRIT OF MAN

HEB 9:14 ETERNAL SPIRI

ECC 7:8 PATIENT IN SPIRIT

I PET 3:4 MEEK IN SPIRIT

I PET 3:4 QUIET IN SPIRIT

ECC 10:4 SPIRIT OF THE RULER

I PET 4:14 SPIRIT OF GLORY

ISA 4:4 SPIRIT OF JUDGEMENT

REV 19:10 SPIRIT OF PROPHECY

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF UNDERSTANDING

II KINGS 2:15 SPIRIT OF ELIJAH

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF COUNSEL

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT MIGHT

PSALM 34:18 CONTRITE SPIRIT

ISA 11:2 SPIRIT OF KNOWLEDGE

PSALM 143:10 GOOD SPIRIT

EZEK 11:19 NEW SPIRIT

ISA 29:10 SPIRIT OF DEEP SLEEP

ZEC 12:10 SPIRIT OF SUPPLICATION

ZEC. 12:10; HEB. 10:29 SPIRIT OF GRACE

ROM 1:4 SPIRIT OF HOLINESS

ROM 8:9 SPIRIT OF CHRIST

I COR 15:45 QUICKENING SPIRIT

PSALM 51:12 FREE SPIRIT

2007/11/30 9:36Profile
moreofHim

Re: binding/loosing

Hi Dian,

What I have learned the last couple of years from the bible commentaries and from good bible teachers is that these verses are are taken out of context most of the time- including the similar verse in Matthew 18:18 about binding and loosing. If you read the surrounding verses and see what was going on in the situation, i think they are talking more about discipline- church discipline type things- not about binding and and loosing spirits. It is funny now to see how often I catch someone trying to quote those verses using the wrong context, but now that i know and go back and read the actual context (especially regarding Matt. 18:18 and the surrounding verses)and what was going on in those verses- it is very obvious :)

The following is some info from different commentaries as well as a teaching from John Macarthur.

[b]John Gill[/b](this was the preacher who pastored Charles Spurgeons' church before Charles Spurgeon)

And whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven.

This also is not to be understood of binding, or loosing men's sins, by laying on, or taking off censures, and excommunications; but only of doctrines, or declarations of what is lawful and unlawful, free, or prohibited to be received, or practised; in which sense the words, (rtwmw rwoa) , "bound and loosed", are used in the Talmudic writings, times without number, for that which is forbidden and declared to be unlawful, and for that which is free of use, and pronounced to be so: in multitudes of places we read of one Rabbi (rowa) , "binding", and of another (rytm) , "loosing"; thousands, and ten thousands of instances of this kind might be produced; a whole volume of extracts on this head might be compiled. Dr. Lightfoot has transcribed a great many, sufficient to satisfy any man, and give him the true sense of these phrases; and after him to mention any other is needless; yet give me leave to produce one, as it is short, and full, and explains these phrases, and points at the persons that had this power, explaining (Ecclesiastes 12:11) and that clause in it, "masters of the assemblies".
``these (say they F20) are the disciples of the wise men, who sit in different collections, and study in the law; these pronounce things or persons defiled, and these pronounce things or persons clean, (Nyrytm Nllhw Nyrowa) (wllh) , "these bind, and these loose"; these reject, or pronounce persons or things profane, and these declare them right.''
And a little after,

``get thyself an heart to hear the words of them that pronounce unclean, and the words of them that pronounce clean; the words of them (Nyrowa) , that "bind", and the words of them (Nyrytm) , that "loose"; the words of them that reject, and the words of them that declare it right''

But Christ gave a greater power of binding and loosing, to his disciples, than these men had, and which they used to better purpose. The sense of the words is this, that Peter, and so the rest of the apostles, should be empowered with authority from him, and so directed by his Holy Spirit, that whatever they bound, that is, declared to be forbidden, and unlawful, should be so: and that whatever they loosed, that is, declared to be lawful, and free of use, should be so; and accordingly they bound some things which before were loosed, and loosed some things which before were bound; for instance, they bound, that is, prohibited, or declared unlawful, the use of circumcision, which before, and until the death of Christ, was enjoined the natural seed of Abraham; but that, and all ceremonies, being abolished by the death of Christ, they declared it to be nothing, and of no avail, yea, hurtful and pernicious; that whoever was circumcised, Christ profited him nothing, and that he was a debtor to do the whole law: they affirmed, that the believing Gentiles were not to be troubled with it; that it was a yoke not fit to be put upon their necks, which they, and their fathers, were not able to bear, (Galatians 5:1,3,6) (Acts 15:10,19) . They bound, or forbid the observance of days, months, times, and years; the keeping holy days, new moons, and sabbaths, which had been used in the Jewish church for ages past; such as the first day of the new year, and of every month, the day of atonement, the feasts of the passover, pentecost, and tabernacles, the jubilee year, the sabbatical year, and seventh day sabbath, (Galatians 4:9,10) (Colossians 2:16,17) . They loosed, or declared lawful and free, both civil and religious conversation between Jews and Gentiles; whereas, before, the Jews had no dealings with the Gentiles, nor would not enter into their houses, nor keep company with them, would have no conversation with them; neither eat, nor drink with them; but now it was determined and declared, that no man should be called common, or unclean; and that in Christ Jesus, and in his church, there is no distinction of Jew and Gentile, (Acts 10:28) (11:2,3,18) (Galatians 3:28) . They also loosed, or pronounced lawful, the eating of any sort of food, without distinction, even that which was before counted common and unclean, being persuaded by the Lord Jesus Christ, by the words he said, (Matthew 15:11) . They asserted, that there is nothing unclean of itself; and that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; or that true religion does not lie in the observance of those things; that every creature of God is good, and fit for food, and nothing to be refused, or abstained from, on a religious account, provided it be received with thanksgiving, (Romans 14:14,17) (1 Timothy 4:4) . And these things now being by them bound or loosed, pronounced unlawful or lawful, are confirmed as such by the authority of God, and are so to be considered by us.

[b]John Wesley[/b]

I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven - Indeed not to him alone, (for they were equally given to all the apostles at the same time, 20:21,22,23;) but to him were first given the keys both of doctrine and discipline. He first, after our Lord's resurrection, exercised the apostleship, Acts 1:15. And he first by preaching opened the kingdom ofheaven, both to the Jews, Acts 2:14&c., and to the Gentiles, Acts 10:34&c. Under the term of binding and loosing are contained all those acts of discipline which Peter and his brethren performed as apostles: and undoubtedly what they thus performed on earth, God confirmed in heaven. 18:18.

[b]Matthew Henry[/b]

"Your business shall be to explain to the world the will of God, both as to truth and duty; and for this you shall have your commissions, credentials, and full instructions to bind and loose:’’ these, in the common speech of the Jews, at that time, signified to prohibit and permit; to teach or declare a thing to be unlawful was to bind; to be lawful, was to loose. Now the apostles had an extraordinary power of this kind; some things forbidden by the law of Moses were now to be allowed, as the eating of such and such meats; some things allowed there were now to be forbidden, as divorce; and the apostles were empowered to declare this to the world, and men might take it upon their words.

You can find more commentaries at Crosswalk.com :)

[b]John Macarthur[/b]

THE AUTHORITY OF ALL BELIEVERS (v. 19)
"I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. "

Here Christ was giving the disciples authority to approve (to bind) or disapprove (to loose) the actions of others. Christ spoke of that same authority in John 20:23: "Whosoever's sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whosoever's sins ye retain, they are retained. " In Matthew 18:18 Christ gave the entire church that authority by saying, "Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. " So the kind of authority Christ spoke about in Matthew 16 was given not only to Peter and the other apostles, but also to every believer.

A. Based on God's Word
All believers have that authority because God's Word reveals to us the kind of behavior God approves or disapproves of. So if you ask a man if he has received Christ as his Lord and Savior and he says yes, you can say, "Your sins are forgiven. " But if says no you can say, "Your sins aren't forgiven. " Similarly, we can say to others, "It's wrong to do that!" If what we say is based on God's Word--not on a person's title, office, human worthiness, or intelligence--we know it will concur with what's said in heaven. Because God's Word is our authority, it's important that we not compromise the truth it teaches.

B. Exercised in the Church
God has entrusted the Word to His church so it might shine as a light in the world (Matt. 5:14). When the church upholds the Word, the Lord's will is done on earth as it is in heaven (Matt. 6:9). That way the church serves as a divine pattern for the lost world to see. It has a responsibility to tell the lost about sin, righteousness, and judgment. By telling them what God's Word says, they will hear what heaven says.

Because God has given His Word to the church, the church is His authority in the world. With such divine authority, there's no need to worry about the world's reaction to the gospel message. Even though many will reject Christ, the church must never compromise the truth. Upholding the standard of His Word will bring Him the glory He deserves.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings, Chanin

2007/11/30 12:27Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy