SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Observations on Marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Observations on Marriage

My brother and sister in law, Mat and Mim (who are members of this site) are going through a rough time.

They've been married for about 18 months, have one daughter who's 6 months and another on the way. Mim seems to be alergic to pregnancy as she keeps getting these sores on her legs, she is also alergic to nuts and we'll get to that in a minute.

Last week the baby took ill and they drove her to hospital. While there someone gave Mim a sandwitch which must have had something nutty in, no problem she's in a hospital right? Here in England the hospitals may be free but they are seriously messed up. There were 3 doctors debating how to treat her and they actually phoned for an ambulance to take her to another hospital!

Anyway there is a lot more to the story but suffice it to say that all are well at the moment and they are covered in our prayers, (please join us too)

So what I was thinking, I have been married for 18 years and I've had similar experiences and these times I believe are sent by God to strengthen our marriages. Next time I see Matthew I'll point out to him that what he's going through is building his character and strengthening their marriage.

I'm sure all you married people realise that marriage is about giving up what we want, to give others what's best for them.

You see the other side is this, (I haven't read the divorce thread, I have no Idea if this fits in or not) In the world, people tend to be more selfish and when they come to problems like our brother and sister above, they resort to what's best for themselves and often bail out 'This is too intense for me, I didn't sign up for this!' they complain.

I know not all non Christians are like this, and I also know some Christians can act selfish too. but just to encourage you married ones, It's the tough times that we can prove our love best, (I remember spending six months working and looking after my wife when she had to have complete bed rest to ensure the safe delivery of what's now our eldest daughter), we build our foundation in difficulties (Christ centred, following His example) and years later we look back and have fond memories of what was maybe a sad but valuable time.

We often don't talk to others about these areas of our walk with Him and each other, but when we see younger Christians going through similar times we can encourage them to trust in God, He truely does know best.

May God bless all who are struggling at the moment;
Rom 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Steve

2007/11/30 0:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy