SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Experiencing dry seasons, what do they mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
reformer

Experiencing dry seasons, what do they mean?

We all can say we have been in a dry season with the Lord. We all have discussed at one time why this may be? So my question is why do you think we go through times of quietness or dried up times in our walk?

I know how frustration these times can be, if you are like me, i can act like a child at times! I can get pretty weak and prayer is so crucial during those times, though I don't feel like praying during those times, it would be great to start a thread that is specific for those going through these seasons.

:-o

2007/11/29 6:58Profile

Re: Experiencing dry seasons, what do they mean?

reformer asked

Quote:
So my question is why do you think we go through times of quietness or dried up times in our walk?

the most constructive answer I've heard to this question, is the analogy of the seasons through which trees pass.

Have you heard this one before? If so, perhaps you could write it here for others, and to encourage your own heart. If not, I'll tell ya - ;-)

2007/11/29 10:58
Tears_of_joy

Hello brother, this article could be good spiritual food, in a winter season:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14139&forum=34#109063]The Blessedness of Winter by Madame Jeanne Guyon[/url]

2007/11/29 11:10Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

reformer asked
Quote:
So my question is why do you think we go through times of quietness or dried up times in our walk?

the most constructive answer I've heard to this question, is the analogy of the seasons through which trees pass.

Have you heard this one before? If so, perhaps you could write it here for others, and to encourage your own heart. If not, I'll tell ya - ;-)

I haven't heard the analogy, but i have a pretty good idea though! :-)

But don't hold back for me. :-) Share it brother.

2007/11/29 16:12Profile

I don't know whats beyond a "Dry Season". I have never experienced a rainy season, so I can't relate to it whatsoever. I do know that when it does rain in the natural everything gets messy, plants droop, willows weep. Animals scurry into shelters, and those that get caught in it look miserable, people and animals alike. The only ones that seem to enjoy it are the things that creepeth upon the earth, worms and slugs, the lowly of the lowly.

No, I have only heard stories of the rain of the holy Ghost. I have heard preachers preach about these mountain top experiences, however I have never heard anyone coming down off the mountain "leaning on her lover", but it's in the Valley where He restoreth my soul. ;-)

I think everyone of us has the seed Christ dwelling in a ground that has been parched for many many years. It sits there dormant waiting for a good rain. It sits there protected from the blistering heat of trials and tribulations. We are that ground and that seed is His investment. When Christ came, He came at a time of darkness and obscurity. It was as if God was hovering over the waters once again and saying, "Let there be Light" and Christ came on the scene thru the virgin birth.

2007/11/29 17:28
reformer

Re:

Quote:
No, I have only heard stories of the rain of the holy Ghost. I have heard preachers preach about these mountain top experiences, however I have never heard anyone coming down off the mountain "leaning on her lover", but it's in the Valley where He restoreth my soul.

Oh yes I have heard those sermons too!

Quote:
I think everyone of us has the seed Christ dwelling in a ground that has been parched for many many years. It sits there dormant waiting for a good rain. It sits there protected from the blistering heat of trials and tribulations. We are that ground and that seed is His investment. When Christ came, He came at a time of darkness and obscurity. It was as if God was hovering over the waters once again and saying, "Let there be Light" and Christ came on the scene thru the virgin birth.

I like it!! :-)

2007/11/29 17:48Profile

reformer said

Quote:
I haven't heard the analogy, but i have a pretty good idea though!

But don't hold back for me. Share it brother.

I don't know if you've read the article by Mme Guyon in the leading post from which Tears_of_joy posted, but it considers (mainly) a different aspect of the same truth... Possibly it's a bit more probing than what I'm about to say... which is simply, that during winter, a tree rests, puts down slightly deeper roots to support the anticipated growth of the coming year, and concentrates its strength on standing against the hostile conditions of the season.

Anything that bears fruit, including trees, is at its most vulnerable during the fruit-producing season. This is another related truth, because sometimes Christians have the idea they should be doing whatever seems to be 'fruit-bearing' in their lives, 24/7, 52/52 and it simply would not be natural!

There is also a truth [i]during[/i] fruit-bearing, to understand that [u]we are weak[/u], and not to think ourselves the cause of the fruit, which is really coming from the strength of the root and rootedness. Pests are also attracted by the blossom and young fruit, and may reappear next year if they didn't die during the winter.

You get a good view during the winter, of things as they really are. That is, you can get your bearings here. This is useful to acknowledge in prayer, thanksgiving and praise, even if you only see a sparse grey desert around you. Amen.

God is always at work. There may be healing to receive, also, in that sterile environment, where in private, only God has access to you.

Now I feel as if I may be rambling slightly, but I do believe it is important always to have in [i]your[/i] mind that as you (and your wife) keep giving yourselves to know God's heart and mind for you, He is moving you on imperceptibly, in the same way as children grow invisibly, but you do notice them changing. You can thank Him for this, even if you have no words for what He is doing.

2007/11/29 23:21

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy