SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which catholic are you?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Which catholic are you?

There are same nine categories of Roman Catholic people around the world. The distinctions between them are not often clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. Nor would individual Catholics necessarily appreciate or agree with such labels. But they will serve as convenient definitions for purposes of discussion:

1. Nominal or Social Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism of the largely uncommitted-perhaps those born or married into the Church but who have little knowledge of Catholic theology and who are, in practice, Catholics in name only.

2. Syncretistic/eclectic Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism that is, to varying degrees, combined with and/or absorbed by the pagan religion of the indigenous culture in which it exists (e.g., as in Mexico and South America).

3. Traditional or orthodox Catholicism: the powerful conservative branch of Roman Catholicism that holds to historic church doctrines such as those reasserted at the Council of Trent in the sixteenth century.

4. "Moderate" Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism of Vatican II which is neither entirely traditional nor entirely liberal.

5. Modernist, liberal Catholicism: the post Vatican II "progressive" Roman Catholicism that to varying degrees rejects traditional doctrine.

6. Ethnic or cultural Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism often retained by migrants to America who use "their religion to provide a sense of belonging. They feel that not to be Roman Catholic is not to belong and to lose [their] nationality and roots."

7. Lapsed or apostate Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism which involves alienated, backslidden, or apostate Catholics who are largely indifferent to the Catholic Church.

8. Charismatic Catholicism: the Roman Catholicism which seeks the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" and speaking in tongues and other spiritual gifts as signs of a deeper Catholic spirituality.

9. Evangelical "Catholicism": the branch of former Roman Catholics who are truly evangelical and who have rejected the unbiblical teachings of Rome, often deciding to remain in the Church as a means to evangelize other Catholics.

The traditionalists are arguably the most influential segment of the Church because through the Pope, bishops, and orthodox priests, they occupy the center of power in Catholicism. Traditionalists believe that by being obedient to the Church, they are being obedient to God and Christ. This is because they have been taught that whatever the Church decrees as orthodox belief and practice through its tradition is, by definition, the will of God.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/joeflorence/catholicism.htm

2007/11/26 20:08
swsojourner

Re: Which catholic are you?

"In all probability, all that is best in Protestantism will only survive in Catholicism; and in that sense all Catholics will still be Puritans when all Puritans are Pagans."

-- G.K. Chesterton, a Catholic convert who got it. :)

2007/11/26 22:20Profile

I'm glad to say I'm a disciple of Jesus... I'm not Catholic, and I'm not Protestant.

Krispy

2007/11/27 8:11

I have to ask... why pose this question here on this forum? If there are any Catholics who are actively a part of this forum, I am not aware of them. Not that they wouldnt be welcome (tho their beliefs would be challenged at every turn), but I would venture to say that 95% of the people who actively participate in this forum are not Catholic.

The overwhelming answer will be "I'm not any kind of Catholic."

So why ask the question (or more appropriately, why copy/paste this question) in this forum?

[i]Of course I realize you'll never answer my question...[/i]

Krispy

2007/11/27 11:07
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

10. None of the Above.

:-P

2007/11/27 11:17Profile
GodsPeace

Re: Under attack from ex-catholics

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know where to look for advice on this. I'm more at home here at SI than anywhere else, and I thought I'd post this on this thread, realizing it's pretty far off-topic. My apologies.

The Lord has been using me to institute some reforms in a nice little English-speaking church on Koh Samui Island in Thailand. I started going there a couple months ago and was welcomed with open arms by the pastor and many in the congregation. He and I share similar ideas regarding the house church model of leadership, and, for many years I have been influenced by the idea that the church is the body of christ and not a building, and leadership is at its best when viewed as servitude.

Well, we - as an English speaking church in a Thai speaking nation - collect both people who’s first or second language is English. In the fold is a group of Filipinos that are more charismatic-ally oriented than the rest of us, and promote the "Word of Faith" doctrine. One of them takes turns with me and the main pastor preaching, and when he does, he always asks that the Lord station His angels at the 4 corners of the sanctuary to keep out evil. When he officiates over the Lord's supper, there is a definite thought in his mind that it will bring healing from sickness, and refers to the bread and wine as 'elements' and, I believe, he is inferring transubstantiation.

There are other problems. I just wanted to give you a feel for what's happening. Anyhow, last week they basically tried to have me thrown out. Because the Lord is leading me to start a repentance/revival-oriented prayer meeting, and I'm leading a Bible study on the words of Jesus, and I have openly criticized a "Personal Confession" (widely-circulated off the internet from a lady named Germaine Copeland - you can google it using the phrase in quotes - below) that they have the whole church recite, which contains a lot of scripture, and a fair amount of bunk. "I am the body of Christ", is one of the unscriptural statements. They didn't like it when I walked out of the church during their recitation. (Just 'a member' of the body of Christ reacting).

I love and want to help these people, and I want to avoid leaving, or having any of them leave. So, my question is; where do I get advice on this kind of thing. Is this evangelical/catholic syncretism, or something else? Does anyone know about any apologetic resources that I could explore? Or perhaps some other forum with more of a handle on Catholicism? What do I know? I'm just a sometime Baptist.

Thanks friends!

Jeffrey

2007/11/27 12:22Profile

Re:

This is an important question, and I would recommend that you start another thread so this doesnt get lost in the shuffle.

Quote:
I love and want to help these people, and I want to avoid leaving, or having any of them leave.

This is going to be no surprise to you, but the fact is you probably will not be able to take a strong stand for doctrinal purity without upsetting these folks.

First thing you need to do is find out if you and your pastor on the same page doctrinally, and if you both agree that what these folks are promoting is unscriptural. If you are both of one spirit concerning this... then you both need to take an aggressive stand. If you had cancer in your body would you want a doctor who will take immediate action, or a doctor who will take a laid back "wait and see" course... while the cancer grows and eventually overtakes you?

Remember, these people are NOT the enemy. The enemy is the one who has deceived these folks... Satan. And his goal is to detroy churches and families. You need to pray for those folks, but your church leadership needs to take a strong stand and say "No, this is unscriptural... this is why it's unscriptural... and we are not going to have this type of heresy in the Lord's body."

And some will leave. Thats just the nature of the beast. But scripture does not say to coddle sinners or deceivers in the church. On the contrary... we are commanded to put them out if they will not repent. This is for the spiritual safety and health of those within the church. It is a guard.

This type of situation demands immediate action. If your leadership will not have the backbone to confront it... then you will probably have to leave. We are not called to stay in a church that is apostate... we are called out of it. Be ye seperate.

Krispy

2007/11/27 15:23
GodsPeace

Re:

Thanks Krispy - Good advice! Really good! This, indeed, comes as no surprise to me. I'm just wondering why the attack wasn't more immediate. We've heard plenty of sermons at SI where a new pastor comes in and is completely not accepted by the congregation - sometimes with devastating results. But you also mentioned something else on my heart:

Quote:
This is an important question, and I would recommend that you start another thread so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

A radio DJ once described popular and unpopular songs, and the length of time they would receive airplay. He said it started out like a road going over a cliff. Every time a record got played, it would get to go back to the beginning, but, eventually, when it ceased to be played, it would go over the cliff.
That's the way a lot of forums work, and sometimes SI can do this very quickly... too quickly for some topics to really get the attention they deserve, IMHO.
I have found other sites that the topics stick around longer, but the theology isn't as sound. Does anyone know a site that meets this description?

So, the other question I asked was -
Quote:
I love and want to help these people, and I want to avoid leaving, or having any of them leave. So, my question is; where do I get advice on this kind of thing. Is this evangelical/catholic syncretism, or something else? Does anyone know about any apologetic resources that I could explore? Or perhaps some other forum with more of a handle on Catholicism?

Thanks for any help you may provide,

Jeffrey

2007/11/28 1:27Profile

Jeffrey asked

Quote:
Is this evangelical/catholic syncretism, or something else? Does anyone know about any apologetic resources that I could explore? Or perhaps some other forum with more of a handle on Catholicism?

There may be more help here than you think, from those who have close friends who are Catholics, and those here who were Catholics, or Word of Faith.

Every ex-Catholic I've met who has a comment on the Roman religious system simply wraps it up in one word - 'evil'. But, in my hour of need, it was all ex-Catholics who knew how to be practical, so .... [i]hope for them[/i].

A helpful thought I'd like to pass on, also, is, just think of them as [i]people[/i] who need to meet God, or, to know Him and His ways better. Look straight past the outward religious appearances and love them. I don't mean, ignore what is wrong, but take them to your heart anyway, so they can trust and receive from you.

The thing which I've noticed about Catholics who don't want to leave the system, is that they are genuinely concerned about their eternal future, and don't want to make a serious mistake. They don't see much in protestantism to commend it to them, and there is a deeply embedded religious hold in their minds and spirits, because of doctrines covering where they will be buried, and last rites (and so on). I feel that if they can come to understand the important part about judging themselves dead in Christ - if this can be made comprehensible to them - inward cares about an outwardly 'religious death', should melt away.

There is a brother on SI from England, who is very keen to evangelise Catholics, having been one himself. If I can find the website he links to occasionally, I'll post it here for you.

2007/11/28 3:36
nowhr2hide

Australia

Re:

Jeffrey asked
Quote:
Is this evangelical/catholic syncretism, or something else? Does anyone know about any apologetic resources that I could explore? Or perhaps some other forum with more of a handle on Catholicism?

http://www.gracegems.org/7/catholic_chronicles.htm
this might help you written by Keith Green it's a blessing to read it.

2007/11/29 20:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy