SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God permit Ploygamy?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Does God permit Ploygamy?

Your thouths with Biblical refrences welcome.

2007/11/26 1:07
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Does God permit Ploygamy?

A brief definition of polygamy is as follows: having more than one wife or husband at the same time.

In Genesis 4, Lamech, a descendant of Cain, was the first in the Bible to have 2 wives.

God's original plan for marriage, one man and one woman for life, is given in Genesis 2v23-24.

How can you become one flesh with someone if more than one person is involved in a marriage?

Look at Leah and Rachel. Genesis 30v14-18.

As we know, King David and Solomon were polygamists. However, it would appear that Solomon's polygamy got the better of him.

In Acts 17v30 it says 'Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked...

Some have used this to explain polygamy. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't.
However, in the preceeding verses it speaks of God not being of gold, silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising.

Maybe we can look at man's devising and realise that polygamy has to be man's devising, not God's, because it was not God's original plan as we can see from Genesis.

Eph 5v30-31 repeats Genesis 2v23-24.

1 Tim 3v2 says a bishop should have one wife.
And in verse 12 a deacon should have one wife.

That's all I have.

God bless.

2007/11/26 5:23Profile

Re:

My conclusion is that, although polygamy was permitted, it was far from God's best, and not His original purpose for mankind.

Matthew 19:

[color=990000]3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder.” 7 They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?” 8 He said to them, “For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery.”[/color]

in Him

Jeannette

2007/11/26 6:10

Re:

Thank you for your views.

Krispy

2007/11/26 8:11
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Krispy, you naughty boy!

2007/11/26 8:20Profile

Re:

... lol 8-)

Krispy

2007/11/26 8:37

Re:

Ist polygamy in the bible.

Gen 4:19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was
Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

2007/11/26 8:47

Re:

So you're a polygamist?

Krispy

2007/11/26 9:25
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

A little wit from Leonard Ravenhill:

"God doesn't permit polygamy in the New Testament. Why? Matthew 6:24 says '[i]No man can serve two masters...[/i]'"

;-)

2007/11/26 10:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
"God doesn't permit polygamy in the New Testament. Why? Matthew 6:24 says 'No man can serve two masters...'"

...unless he has two rooftops on which to dwell! (a little nod to Proverbs there)

Krispy

2007/11/26 12:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy