PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Westminster Shorter Catechism Project

[b]Westminster Shorter Catechism Project[/b]

Westminster Shorter Catechism for Download
http://www.shortercatechism.com/resources/wscformats/index.html

What I found neat was it gave specific resource links for each of the questions, alot of great resources found easily:
http://www.shortercatechism.com/resources/wsc/wsc_001.html

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?

A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him for ever.

Q. 1. What is meant by the chief end of man?
A. The chief end of man, is that which man ought chiefly to aim at or design, to desire, seek after, and endeavour to obtain, as his chief good and happiness; unto which his life and his actions should be referred and directed; which is the glorifying of God, and the enjoying of God for ever.

Q. 2. May men have no other chief end than the glorifying and enjoying of God?
A. Men ought to have no other chief end than the glorifying of God, but they may have subordinate ends. For— 1. Men ought to be diligent in their particular callings, for this end, that they may provide for themselves and their families. "Do your own business, and work with your own hands, that ye may have lack of nothing."— 1 Thess. 4:11-12. 2. Men may eat, and drink, and sleep, for this end, that they may nourish and refresh their bodies. It is lawful to design, and desire, and seek such things as these in such actions, subordinately, or less principally; but in these and all actions, men ought principally and chiefly to design and seek the glory of God. "Whether, therefore, ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."— 1 Cor. 10:31. 3. Men may moderately desire and endeavour after the enjoyment of such a portion of the good things of the world as is needful and useful; but they ought to make choice of God for their chief good, and desire the eternal enjoyment of him as their chief portion. "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee," or in comparison with thee. "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever."— Ps. 73:25-26.

Q. 3. What is it to glorify God?
A. 1. Negatively, to glorify God, is not to give any additional glory to God: it is not to make God more glorious than he is; for God is incapable of receiving the least addition to his essential glory, he being eternally and infinitely perfect and glorious. "Your Father which is in heaven is perfect."— Matt. 5:48. "Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not unto thee."— Ps. 16:2.
2. Affirmatively, to glorify God, is to manifest God's glory: not only passively, as all creatures do, which have neither religion nor reason, but also actively, men glorify God, when the design of their life and actions is the glory and honour of God. "That ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you," &c.— 1 Pet. 2:9. (1.) When inwardly they have the highest estimation of him, the greatest confidence in him, and the strongest affections to him, this is glorifying of God in spirit.. "Glorify God in your spirit, which is God's."— 1 Cor. 6:20. (2.) When outwardly they acknowledge God according to the revelations he hath made of himself, when with their lips they show forth God's praise. "He that offereth praise, glorifieth me."— Ps. 50:23. When they sincerely endeavour, in their actions, the exalting of God's name, the promotion of the interest of his kingdom in the world, and to yield that worship and obedience to him which he hath prescribed in his Word. ") magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together."— Ps. 24:3. "Fear God, and give glory to him; and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."— Rev. 14:7.

Q. 4. What is it to enjoy God?
A. To enjoy God, is to acquiesce or rest in God as the chief good, with complacency and delight. "Return unto thy rest, O my soul."— Ps. 116:7.

2007/11/25 22:13Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Westminster Shorter Catechism Project

I have found the last 9 questions on prayer particularly edifying.

Grace and Peace!

2007/11/25 22:45Profile

Re:

All Glory to God.

2007/11/26 9:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy