SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Wife? Concubine? What's the difference?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Wife? concubine? What's the difference?

Quote:
The very word "Concubine" sounds like a Farm Machinery.

This comment reminds me of a film, where a little girl has a fish in a jar for travelling. 'What's his name?' she was asked; 'Harold.... after the angel.' ;-)

Seriously, brother, that is quite some family you came from. I appreciate your sharing all that detail, and that it may have shaken a few roots to do so. How do you feel now, having written that all down? I bet it's helped put some things in a slightly new perspective - not that that is necessarily better...

Quote:
I thought I mentioned this modern day version of a concubine Linn. I hope this helps.

I'll be honest, that it seems vaguely surreal. But I do know it was utterly real, and it was your total reality as it was happening. Again, thank you for bringing it into the public domain. And praise the Lord for how He gave you His unmistakable companionship at an early age.

2007/11/26 21:38

Re:

Quote:

chandras wrote:
Do you feel Hagar wife or concubine?

Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a
bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he
of the freewoman was by promise.

In Israel at least, a concubine was a wife AND a slave.

I looked it up in Wikipedia just in case. Here are the relevant parts:

"The term concubine generally signifies ongoing, quasi-matrimonial relationships where the woman is of lower social status than the man or the official wife or wives. Some historical Asian and European rulers maintained concubines as well as wives.

"Historically, concubinage was frequently voluntary (by the girl and/or her family's arrangement), as it provided a measure of economic security for the woman involved.

"Involuntary, or servile, concubinage sometimes involves sexual slavery of one member of the relationship, typically the woman.

"In the Bible (Genesis 16 and 21), Abraham took the slave girl Hagar as a concubine. Since Sarah had not conceived up to this point, she offered her maid servant Hagar to Abraham to produce an heir. [i][u]Abraham did marry Hagar, residing with her according to the Jewish laws of a Pilegesh (Hebrew for Concubine).[/u][/i]"

Of course, not all female slaves became concubines. There's no suggestion for example that Naaman's wife's maid was, or was intended to be, anything but an ordinary servant girl, as a result of being captured in a raid on Israel (2Kings 5).

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/11/27 10:16

Re: Hagar

I wrote a short play about Hagar once, not for performing but for personal enjoyment and edification. Exploring the personalities and reactions of the certral figures was fascinating. It also helped me understand how Sarah must have been able to talk herself and Abraham into believing that marrying Hagar was [i]God's[/i] way of fulfilling His promise. It wouldn't have seemed like disobedience or unbelief to them. There wasn't any law against concubinage in those days, so it wasn't deliberate sin either.

Here's the relevant part of the play:

SARAH: [Speaking with an effort - it is a very painful subject for her] Abraham, I've been thinking. I... still have no child. Most men would have taken another wife, years ago. Why should you stay with me any longer? I'm getting old - not much chance of having a baby now!

ABRAHAM: [Embracing her] Sarah, my darling! You know I have eyes only for you!

S: Yes, I know. But I also know your grief at having no child. You need an heir; why should you share my shame? Today I overheard two of the menservants talking. They said that perhaps it is [i]you[/i] who cannot have children; that you are afraid to take another wife in case of failure!

A: [Grimly] What impudence! But I don't care! God has promised me a son. We must be patient.

They both become silent as HAGAR enters. She is about 14 years old, and servant to Sarah. She is quite pretty, but her looks are spoiled by a sulky expression. She clears away the remains of the meal and goes out into another room of the tent.

S: [Bitterly] ....You say we should be patient! We've been ten years wandering in this so-called Promised Land, and the years in Ur and Haran before that! I'm sick of being patient! I will be too old to have any hope of children soon - it will be too late then to talk of God's promises! How can you be sure that it really was God who spoke to you? …I do believe in Him - that there is only one true God, who is nothing like the idols of Ur - but it's hopeless. Surely you can see that?

A: Sarah, I'm sure, I know it was God who told me that my descendants would be as numerous as the stars! There's no mistake. ... See how He's looked after us all these years! We are rich. Our flocks and herds have increased. Even in famine and all kinds of dangers He helped us to prosper. He will keep His word, I'm certain of it.

S: It was to you He promised a son, He didn't promise [i]me[/i] anything!

...I want to help you fulfil God's promise. Don't you see? You will have to marry again and get a son through another woman. I won't be jealous because I know you love me..... [Sarah looks in the direction Hagar has gone, and a thought strikes her] No, WE will get a son! Why don't you marry my maid Hagar? She's a pretty girl in her way, though a bit too pert for my liking. You know the custom: Hagar will bear a son - the promised heir - for me. He will be mine legally; a slave can't own anything - not even her child. Please Abraham! You are getting older too. Get a child with my maid. Prove you are still as virile as a young man! Silence the hateful gossip once and for all. This has to be the way the Lord will fulfil His promise to you - it all makes sense now!

A: Mmm. Perhaps you're right. But I don't like it very much.

2007/11/27 11:07

Re: Wife? Concubine? What's the difference?

LittleGift said

Quote:
I think it was probably very unusual that Abraham hadn't taken a concubine before, as he and Sarah had been married for many years without children. To me it says a lot about Abraham's great love for her.

Genesis 25
1 Abraham again took a wife, and her name [i]was[/i] Keturah.
2 And she bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
3 Jokshan begot Sheba and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim.
4 And the sons of Midian [i]were[/i] Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abidah, and Eldaah. All these [i]were[/i] the children of Keturah.
5 And Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac.
6 But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.

Can we really assume these children had arrived only after Isaac's birth?

It seems most unlikely to me, they only arrived after Sarah's death - even though they had not been mentioned earlier. Not being Sarah's (Abraham's real wife's) would have invalidated all of them as the promised seed.... wouldn't it?

2007/11/27 15:17

Re: Wife? Concubine? What's the difference?

Another question has just crossed my mind....

Is it really necessary to assume Hagar was so young? Would not she have been travelling with the family unit for some time. Okay, she might have been much younger than Sarah, but mightn't she just as easily have been heading for middle age?

2007/11/27 15:23

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

LittleGift said
Quote:
I think it was probably very unusual that Abraham hadn't taken a concubine before, as he and Sarah had been married for many years without children. To me it says a lot about Abraham's great love for her.

Genesis 25
1 Abraham again took a wife, and her name [i]was[/i] Keturah.
2 And she bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
3 Jokshan begot Sheba and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim.
4 And the sons of Midian [i]were[/i] Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abidah, and Eldaah. All these [i]were[/i] the children of Keturah.
5 And Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac.
6 But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.

Can we really assume these children had arrived only after Isaac's birth?

It seems most unlikely to me, they only arrived after Sarah's death - even though they had not been mentioned earlier. Not being Sarah's (Abraham's real wife's) would have invalidated all of them as the promised seed.... wouldn't it?

I thought that was [i][u]after[/u][/i] Sarah's death, which is recorded in chapter 23. It's also mentioned in the last verse of 24, as if introducing Abraham's further marriages.

It doesn't say in as many words that this was after the death of Sarah, but the context suggests that's what it means.

Jeannette

2007/11/27 17:18

Re:

don't know why thie last post came up twice!

2007/11/27 17:20

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

Another question has just crossed my mind....

Is it really necessary to assume Hagar was so young? Would not she have been travelling with the family unit for some time. Okay, she might have been much younger than Sarah, but mightn't she just as easily have been heading for middle age?

I only wrote how I imagined it might have been - just a personal interpretation, mainly because Hagar was of marriagable age, but not married yet. In that culture it was apparently the custom for girls (slaves or not) to be married young.

It was certainly [i]possible[/i] for Sarah to have got a young maid quite recently, there seemed to have been a number of trade routes in the area, (as Joseph later found out to his cost!) Whether she actually did of course we don't know...

Or maybe Hagar's mother was already a slave in Abraham's household? As well as no doubt encountering traders in his wanderings in the wilderness, Abraham stayed places where we know he acquired slaves - including Egypt. Perhaps Hagar (and/or her mother) was a gift from Pharaoh, to compensate for taking Sarah into his harem that time? (Genesis 12). Or when he later stayed in Gerar (Genesis 20), which wasn't so far from the border of Egypt.

Another reason for imagining her to be young is that Hagar seemed to me to react more like a young girl than an older woman. She gives the impression of being very spirited, not yet either broken or reconciled to her slavery. An older woman would probably have been much wiser in not attracting her mistress' anger and in hiding her pride and resentment.

Older women usually choose more subtle ways of "getting their own back". Taunting Sarah with her pregnancy, as she surely did, seems to me more in the character of a young girl. An older woman would probably be less likely to show such open insolence - if only to protect herself. She might also have thought twice about running away - however badly she was treated.

It isn't that important of course; as I said, it was only imagining how things may have been. But it's good to check if I did my research properly!

I understand your desire to get things right, even in an imaginary account - inaccuracies can irritate. A Biblical novel I read recently was a terrific read, and very faithful to the Scriptural account. Except for one thing - the writer pictured the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant, and that onlookers were filled with awe at this amazing sight of it glittering in she sunshine.

But when the Ark was moved it was always to be covered with cloths first, (a picture of Jesus hiding His glory under the outer covering of ordinary human flesh). Only the priests were allowed to see, let alone touch it. Even the Levites, not of the family of Aaron, weren't allowed to see or carry the most precious Tabernacle furnishings.

A small mistake but...

Blessings

Jeannette

Genesis 12:
[color=990000]When Abram entered Egypt the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful. 15 And when the princes of Pharaoh saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh’s house. 16 [u]And for her sake he dealt well with Abram; and he had sheep, oxen, he-asses, menservants, [b]maidservants[/b],[/u] she-asses, and camels.[/color]

Genesis 20:[color=990000]1 From there Abraham journeyed toward the territory of the Negeb, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur; and he sojourned in Gerar. 2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, “She is my sister.” And Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah...
14 [u]Then Abimelech took sheep and oxen, and male and [b]female slaves[/b], and gave them to Abraham[/u], and restored Sarah his wife to him...[/color]

2007/11/27 18:29
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

A concubine may have been legal and politically correct in that day, but not morally by the standards that Jesus presented.

Like a person who looks upon another with lust in their heart, they have already committed adultry in their heart.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

If you hate your brother, you have not killed him physically, but you have already committed murder in your heart.

Matthew 5:21-22 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

A wife, cleave.

A concubine, only attached.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/11/27 22:49Profile

Re:

Quote:

Christinyou wrote:
A concubine may have been legal and politically correct in that day, but not morally by the standards that Jesus presented.

Hi Phillip

YOu are right of course.

As Jesus says also in Matthew 19:

[color=990000]4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.[/color]

You are absolutely right - who on this forum would dispute it? God's highest is the law in Eden, one man and one woman only married to one another for life.

However, the original question was about the status of a concubine, where she fitted in in the context of that culture.

Because God's highest is also no slavery, yet it was part of the culture, and Paul later gave advice to slaves to [i]accept[/i] their status, and serve "as unto the Lord", especially if their master was also a believer. He also exhorted those who owned slaves to treat them right.

It's good to keep God's ideal in view at all times. But we live in an imperfect world, among a fallen creation, as did Abraham, and the practical outworking of spiritual principles and behaviour is under less than perfect conditions. In days when slavery was normal there were slaves that were actually better off than hired labourers. In the history of slavery in the USA for example, there were those individual slaves who were far worse off as freemen after abolition.

That doesn't make slavery right, any more than it makes concubinage right, but some concubines were also a lot better off than some free women.

You see what I'm saying?

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/11/28 12:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy