Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sex Scandal at Atlanta Mega-Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And you know what Krispy? If there had been no followers who would give them money, this kind of hanky-panky would not succeed. One could say the parishioners are just as guilty for allowing, supporting this blatant sin with their finances, their "loving" support.

Today I was thinking a lot about this....you know the person in the pew has been getting by with all kinds of dreadful sins for years. To speak out against it, to take disciplinary action against it has fallen in disfavor among many American churches. The excuse has been used that you are judging, because after all "we all sin" and who are we to judge: Jesus says "thou shalt not judge!" Since this has been the case, we should not be surprised that 'church' in American has deteriorated into a mere social club, using religious words to soothe their conscience. So then we should not at all be alarmed when we see this kind of behaviours from the leadership.

Some years ago I did some interviewing for the Mississippi Oral History Program. Locally, I interviewed an old black man, a former NAACP officer. We got to talking about the 'black' church in the community - then vs now. He told me how the black church used to be very disciplined in their morals but this is no longer the case. I asked him what happened to change this? He said: "well, you know when the preacher starts doing these sins, he cannot get up and preach against it because the people would not stand for it." I appreciated his honesty.

Many on this forum cry for "revival". But do you really want revival? How much longer will you tolerate open sin in your congregation? Are we making excuses, giving people the benefit of the doubt when you know in your heart what the truth is? When Jesus lived on earth, he always confronted sin whenever he saw it. He was brief and to the point. The religious folks were the worst: saying they were faithful to the law when in reality they picked and chose, ignored the inconvenient parts (like the woman who was taken in adultery: the scriptures say she was caught in the act: the OT law says BOTH were to be stoned. But the Pharisees brought only the woman) and added to to make up for it.

Tragic it is when the church has become a spectacle to the world, held up in derision and scorn. But the fact that this is so should teach us something which seems very important to me: the people expect something greater from the church then they do other social clubs...what is it?

ginnyrose

2007/11/21 18:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
And you know what Krispy? If there had been no followers who would give them money, this kind of hanky-panky would not succeed. One could say the parishioners are just as guilty for allowing, supporting this blatant sin with their finances, their "loving" support.

Absolutely... I agree 100%! The people who made up the congregation had not "studied to themselves approved", and they certainly were not Bereans. They must stand before the Lord to give an accounting as well.

But scripture also tells us that those who are in leadership bear an even greater burden before the Lord when they stand before Him on that great and terrible day.

Krispy

2007/11/26 16:55
kingsson

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Re:

The old saying is proven true again: "The Church is the only Army in history that kills its own wounded." While some wring their hands in glee at the fall of another "WOF" ministry (which I assume stands for "Word of Faith" as opposed, I imagine to "Word of Doubt"?) I am praying for this man and his congregation, as well as for the thousands of people who will be influenced to reject God because they insist on judging God by His people instead of by what He says about Himself.

2007/11/26 17:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
The old saying is proven true again: "The Church is the only Army in history that kills its own wounded." While some wring their hands in glee at the fall of another "WOF" ministry

Well thats a bit uncalled for. Where is there any glee in this thread? And as far as this preacher... according to scripture the light is not in him anyway, therefore he is not part of the "Army of God". He has lived a life of sin and cover up with no apparent remorse for anything he has done for almost FOUR decades.

Sorry brother, but he is of the enemy. He is not of this army. If he were he would not have lived in utter debauchery for most of his life and still continued on as a minister of the gospel.

He is a fake, he is a liar. He is of his father the devil.

I have not shot one of my brothers (I havent shot anyone)... he was exposed because God had had enough. And may we ALL pay attention to that fact. God is long suffering, but if we do not clean our own hearts and minds, His patience will come to an end with us as well. Each one individually.

Krispy

2007/11/27 8:27
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Just a few scriptures.

Numbers 32v23, '...and be sure your sin will find you out'.

James 4v17, 'Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin'.

Heb 13v4, '...fornicators and adulterers God will judge'

God bless.

2007/11/27 8:53Profile
kingsson

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Re:

You make a good point, Krispy. I stand corrected on Bishop Paulk's status in the Army. In that case, although he has repented, I suppose it is okay to continue to kick him, judge his congregation, and contribute to the feeding frenzy by making a list of all the scandals that have hit the Church recently (which one member DID request in this thread), although I can't think why. Where is mercy? Where is forgiveness? Who can cast the first stone?

2007/11/27 11:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
although he has repented, I suppose it is okay to continue to kick him, judge his congregation, and contribute to the feeding frenzy by making a list of all the scandals that have hit the Church recently

First off, saying he is sorry is not repentence. I hope he has repented, I really do. But 40 years of lies, deception, adultry, etc does not get swept under the carpet by simply saying "I'm sorry." Sorry for what? Sorry he got caught? He's been caught in the past, but no repentence. Thats evidence by the fact that he is STILL trying to play cover up.

As for his congregation... I'll stick by what I said. They are responsible before God for overlooking the sins of the leadership, and not knowing God's Word and how He would have them to react to the scandals of the last 40 years.

Thats not me judging them... thats God's Word judging them.

It's always interesting to me how some will defend people like this to the death, and attack those who will take a bold stand for the truth of the Word of God.

Krispy

2007/11/27 11:46
kingsson

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Re:

I am neither attacking nor defending anyone. Certainly the conduct was reprehensible. How do WE know if his "sorry" is true repentance? Can you judge the state of someone else's soul? Only God knows the degree of our sincerity... any of us. Judgement is God's prerogative, because He is the only true and righteous judge. Our call is mercy. After all, which of us is perfect? Only One person has ever lived a perfect Christian life, and He died so we could have HIS life.

2007/12/2 2:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy