SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sex Scandal at Atlanta Mega-Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Sex Scandal at Atlanta Mega-Church

I stated yesterday that God was beginning to clean house, bringing down several WOF "ministers"... and as I said, this is only the beginning. And it's NOT going to be just WOF ministries...

Well... todays leading story on Foxnews.com was this: "Sex Scandal Rocks Atlanta-Area Megachurch"

Here's the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312249,00.html

Folks... w'd better make sure we're right with the Lord! This house cleaning the Lord is doing will not stop with just the big names. The church in America is about to be chastised.

It will be painful... but in the end, it will be a blessing. The Lord chastises His children... if He didnt love the church in America He would just let it stumble down the path it's on and not do anything.

We're about to enter the refiner's fire.

Buckle up.

Krispy

2007/11/20 8:19
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Sex Scandal at Atlanta Mega-Church

Krispy,
It's you! Thank goodness for that, I thought it was chandras, again.

But, seriously, I haven't read the story yet. I can't. I'm too tired of what is going on and you just wonder what's next.

We want revival and all we get is tragedy after tragedy in the church.

As you said, God is cleaning house, that's where His judgment begins.

God bless.

2007/11/20 8:27Profile

Re:

Quote:
It's you! Thank goodness for that, I thought it was chandras, again.

lol... no comment.

Quote:
We want revival and all we get is tragedy after tragedy in the church.

Dont let your heart be troubled... true revival comes out of adversity. This, I believe, is the beginning... the birth pangs, if you will... of true revival in this country.

Rejoice!

Krispy

2007/11/20 8:31
enid

Nottingham, England

I checked the link and it says page cannot be found, so I don't know what the story is about.

Maybe the link is wrong, or it could be my computer.

God bless

2007/11/20 9:07Profile

Re:

I dont know why it's not linking correctly, but if you copy/paste the following into your address bar in Internet Exporer it will come up.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312249,00.html

Krispy

2007/11/20 9:24
davym

The link is below

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312249,00.html]Atlanta church scandal[/url]

Quoting from article

Quote:
The archbishop, his brother and the church are being sued by former church employee Mona Brewer, who says Earl Paulk manipulated her into an affair from 1989 to 2003 by telling her it was her only path to salvation. Earl Paulk admitted to the affair in front of the church last January.

Diabolical!

Quote:
"It was a necessary evil to bring us back to a God-consciousness," said the younger Paulk, explaining that the church had become too personality-driven and prone to pastor worship.

Hmmm. I've heard this before......... Pastor worship is a problem in many churches.

Quote:
At its peak in the early 1990s, it claimed about 10,000 members and 24 pastors and was a media powerhouse. By soliciting tithes of 10 percent from each member's income, the church was able to build a Bible college, two schools, a worldwide TV ministry and a $12 million sanctuary the size of a fortress.

We're all familiar with this.

Quote:
Today, though, membership is down to about 1,500, the church has 18 pastors, most of them volunteers, and the Bible college and TV ministry have shuttered — a downturn blamed largely on complaints about the alleged sexual transgressions of the elder Paulks.

This whole thing would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Folks, at least the US still has a spiritual hunger. These churches wouldn't exist if that didn't exist. It's just tragic how it's channelled into these false doctrines. My country, the UK, is losing the hunger for God. We're just sinking into heathenism, but that's a separate matter. Thanks for link Krispy and I hope you're right about revival.

David

2007/11/20 9:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Folks, at least the US still has a spiritual hunger. These churches wouldn't exist if that didn't exist.

This is an excellent point that for some reason has elluded me. But your right. Unfortunately right now that spiritual hunger is not enough for most Americans to consider true Biblical repentence, salvation and holiness. We want spirituality without the hard stuff. We want the 23rd Psalm, but not "be holy as He is holy".

But hopefull this is about to change.

Krispy

2007/11/20 10:28
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I first saw this news on http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/11/20/intv.church.scandal.paulk.cnn this afternoon. The son was interviewed by cnn's hosts....

There is one thing that disturbs me and that is how 'old' this sin is: this son is 34 YO! And it has never been confessed??!! and obviously never repented of either: Rev. D.E. Paulk has had other affairs. How can a man succeed so long with no repercussions? Did no one ever detect anything amiss anywhere?

Still who will have the last word? God says "and be sure your sin will find you out.." For some it may take a long time..hope the elder man will actually be repentant of his sins, not just sorry it was found out.

Recent exposure of gross sins in ministries reminds me of a book I read in 1994: "Exit Interviews: Revealing Stories of Why People are Leaving the Churh" by William D. Hendricks. This is a very informative read. What was true 13 years ago has become so much more common. The saying "that people who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it" or the one "if there is one thing people do not learn that is they do not learn from history" is just as true as ever before. We need to thank God that He will not be mocked. Should put us on our toes as well: matters not whether we be little or big, all will have to give an account someday. It will be in our best interests to clear the slate NOW.

ginnyrose

2007/11/20 22:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
There is one thing that disturbs me and that is how 'old' this sin is: this son is 34 YO! And it has never been confessed??!! and obviously never repented of either: Rev. D.E. Paulk has had other affairs. How can a man succeed so long with no repercussions? Did no one ever detect anything amiss anywhere?

Hey... it's much worse than that. Go to wikipedia and look him up...

This is all public record. It's amazing that there are 1500 people still blind and stupid enough to still attend his church!

This guy, Earl Paulk, makes Bill Clinton look like an amateur.

I'm sure someone will think I shouldnt expose all this... but he NEEDS to be exposed. Why would we cover this up and pretend it isnt happening? And dont be fooled, I'm sure Earl Paulk is not the only prominent "minister" who is involved in this kind of wretchedness.

[i][b]Controversies[/b]

Paulk has been involved with many sex scandals spanning several years. Two of the more prominent scandals involved Cindy Hall and Mona Brewer.

Cindy Hall
Hall was born in 1960 and was one of the first children born into Chapel Hill Harvester. In 2003, she claimed that Paulk had convinced her into a lengthy affair that also included her having sex with Paulk's brother, Don. Hall alleges that the affair began in 1983 (in a manner much similar to Mona Brewer's a few years later) when Paulk prayed for her, then kissed her. He then would say he intended to "make love" to her. At one point, Paulk supposedly would tell her that they had a "special gift of love outside holy matrimony". Cindy Hall has never filed a lawsuit against Paulk.

Mona Brewer
Mona Manning Brewer was a Sunday School teacher who married Bobby Brewer in 1987. She was also featured regularly as a soloist on the television program as well. She came to the church at the age of 19, four years after her conversion to Christianity. Brewer claimed that in 1989, Paulk felt " 'impressed of the Lord' to get to know her better". She then stopped by his office the next day. Soon she made regular appearances. She alleged that a church official stated that there had been a "word of knowledge" claiming that she was about to enter a new relationship that would benefit her. As it turned out, the "relationship" in question was a sexual one with Paulk on September 12, 1989. Paulk preached the following Sunday that "when you are in despair, God will send you a resurrection", later claiming that Brewer was his resurrection. She didn't break the relationship off until September 2003. Not long afterwards, Bobby Brewer reportedly punched Paulk in the nose. The Brewers eventually sued Paulk and his church on August 31, 2005, claiming Paulk misused his position to manipulate her into a sexual relationship, and claiming Paulk owed US$400,000 for a loan Brewer issued to settle the Jessica Battle suit. On Monday, March 5, 2007, at a pretrial hearing, the Brewers' lawyer wrote out a request for dismissal of the case by hand and handed it to lawyers for Paulk and the church. Levenson acted just as a ruling was about to come on a motion by Paulk's lawyers to dismiss the allegations. By dropping the case before the ruling, the Brewers left open the possibility of filing another suit with the same allegations. "We were having difficulty even at this point getting witnesses to speak out against the acts of Bishop Paulk and the church," Levenson said. "Sometimes you just have to do this." However, the case has since been refiled.

Tricia Weeks
Weeks was a biographer/ghostwriter for Paulk when she allegedly had a two-year affair with Paulk in 1992.

Jessica Battle
Between the Weeks incident and the stories breaking about Brewer and Hall, in 2001; Jessica Battle, a college student who had been part of the dance team, accused Paulk of molesting her between the ages of 7 and 11, and later of forcing himself on her when she was 17. Lynn Mays (Battle's grandmother and a pastor on the staff) sided with Paulk. The suit was settled out of court in 2003 for $400,000.

Donnie Earl Paulk
On October 14, 2007, Donnie Earl (D.E.) Paulk, nephew of Earl and senior pastor of the Cathedral at Chapel Hill, informed the congregation that he is actually the biological son of Earl Paulk, and not the son of Donald Paulk. A court-ordered DNA test confirmed this and prompted the revelation.[/i]

Krispy

2007/11/21 8:15

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I stated yesterday that God was beginning to clean house, bringing down several WOF "ministers"... and as I said, this is only the beginning. And it's NOT going to be just WOF ministries...

Hey Krispy, or anyone else who has been following all of this, could you compile a listing of all these different scandals and exposure that has happened in the last month or so? I've seen thread after thread come up but haven't followed all this very closely.

If someone would do that, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks!

:-)

[i]I keep hearing Carter Conlon's voice warning that the prosperity Gospel movement is going to collapse...[/i]

2007/11/21 17:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy