SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : to say hi

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jobee

to say hi

Hi, this note is to introduce myself a little.
I have done everything backwards! This is actually my 3rd post, and 3rd email. And the sad thing is I am not kidding.
So the last 2 days I have faced 2 fears- the whole e-mail thing, and the posting of my opinion, in a public place so as to be vunerable to public critism.
Part of the reason for my staying right away from the whole forum, and discussion list thing, is my glaring ignorance of the whole net etiquette, I mean I've seen entire books devoted to the subject! Seen but not read.
So please be patient with any clumsiness.
Incidentally this is the first time I have felt comfortable enough to even try. So thanks to all the hardworking people who have done this truly amazing place-site[?]. This place is a resource that I could not have hoped for, it is without a ounce of exageration, a utterly amazing thing.
Apart from that, I'm from Australia, in my 30s and have been saved,[Im using this as a form of reference, rather than having to launch into a LONG story] for 14 years. So Hi to all and I'm sure I'll talk to at least some of you soon.

jobee :-D

2003/8/3 14:26Profile
todd

California

Re: to say hi

Hi jobee,
It's great to have you here. I have already been impressed by your comments that I have seen. I admire you spirit of humility. I look forward to hearing much more from you.

2003/8/3 15:12Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

Quote:
So the last 2 days I have faced 2 fears- the whole e-mail thing, and the posting of my opinion, in a public place so as to be vunerable to public critism.

Hey I hope everyone will be easy on you. I totally think its awesome that you are stepping out of your comfort zone to post messages :-D

Quote:
So thanks to all the hardworking people who have done this truly amazing place-site[?]. This place is a resource that I could not have hoped for, it is without a ounce of exageration, a utterly amazing thing.

Thats awesome that you are benefiting from this site! Praise God, I hope you continue to be encouraged and blessed in your walk with Jesus, brother!

2003/8/3 15:53Profile

Hi Jobee, How are you doing?

Quote:
I have done everything backwards! This is actually my 3rd post, and 3rd email. And the sad thing is I am not kidding.

Well, I happen to be a moderator with less than 10 posts (7 if you include this one). [i]And the sad thing is I too am not kidding.[/i] I hope you enjoyed that! :-)

Quote:

I can sort of relate to what you're saying especially in my relationship with this particular online community. For me I wasn't fearful of being vulnerable in having my opinions criticized in public. I just found it hard to want to share my opinions and in some ways I still feel that way. I was more afraid of getting out of line with arguements over minor disagreements. You'll find that site has it's own unique/distinct [i]ethos[/i] (spirit) to it. Some of the members can be quite militant towards Charismatic movements. I agree with most of their views but personally I do not feel as strongly and neither do I lean to that extent. Because of that I kind of feel out of place at times and I assumed for the longest time that I wasn't welcomed here. I realized this is an open community and no one has intentionally done anything to make me feel unwelcomed here so it's all in my head.

My friend had to almost beg me to even register myself on the site in hoping that I would participate. He even gave me the rank of [i]Moderator[/i] for the purpose previously expressed. This site contains a lot of good resources of video or audio sermons that can really be a blessing to you. So I'm just passing on the encouragement that I received to not be timid but be [b]Bold[/b] and try make the best of what this site has to offer.

Sincerely,
William

2003/8/3 17:11
jobee

Re:William and Wrtbooks and Todd

Thank-you very much for the welcome all. Wrtbooks...I picked that particular 'icon' , because I'm a bit embarrassed, -but also really amused. I'm afraid I'm not a brother, but a sister, if I have created a wrong impression I'm sorry, I guess not being sure of the whole thing, I really tried to seem nuetral. Opps!
So now my covers blown. Oh well.
Im also a wife and mother of 3 beautiful girls, and that about sums it all up. No more surprises I promise.

Joanna :-o
aka....Jo Bee

2003/8/4 8:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Welcome and Praise be to God!
Read your post's/threads and just want to say in regards to;

Quote:
and the posting of my opinion, in a public place so as to be vunerable to public critism.

Nothing to be concerned over (especially if you happen upon any of my posts!) :-D

A brief note about copying/saving. If you haven't already, check out the post: SermonIndex Support and the thread: Loggin in.

As was stated earlier, I also believe that there is a certain 'feel' here as well. Mostly, I take it as an 'iron sharpens iron' and believe that this community has one thing in common.....A true love for the Lord expressed in many different ways. I could probably go so far as to say that most are dissatisfied with the present state of the 'church' and call to return to orthodox Christianity is what is needed, even revival, in the truest sense of the word. I want to be careful how I word this since I myself have only just begun to delve deeper into this (revival) and as a 'layman' if you will, my knowledge on this subject is limited, but growing thanks to many here.

Lastly, I think this medium does have it's limitations as some of us are better writers, better communicators in thought to word and at times things can be misconstrued. But usually things get clarified and I personaly have been blessed by all, edified, challenged in my thinking and given much encouragement. There is a lot of biblical knowledge and for me it's great to interact with those who still have a hunger for The Way, The Truth and The Life.
There are some great sermons here and while some of the names of these great men of God were familar to me, I have since come to hear many more
(Like Paris Reidhead, and even Leonard Ravenhill who I wondered how come I had never heard of before!)

I'm blessed, hope you will be as well!
Mike

_/crsschk\_

2003/8/4 8:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

William,
God bless you, thanks for sharing your thoughts, hope you will continue to do so.

Quote:
Some of the members can be quite militant towards Charismatic movements. I agree with most of their views but personally I do not feel as strongly and neither do I lean to that extent. Because of that I kind of feel out of place at times and I assumed for the longest time that I wasn't welcomed here. I realized this is an open community and no one has intentionally done anything to make me feel unwelcomed here so it's all in my head.

I can see what you mean and have found that through some of the links to other sites there is a tendency towards militancy with some of the aforementioned movements. Not to sound wishy washy, but having come through a lot of that (the heretical aspects of it) I also found myself leaning into a 'either or' mentality, being carried to extremes. Some of it (most?) is so bad that I don't think it could be critized enough for what it is doing to the Body. Yet, just as well there are many that are still solid in Biblical absolutes, I guess we just don't hear enough about them.
One of the links, I believe in reference to Finney's works had a particular article on the Torronto movement from some one who had been there and something he said really stuck with me: (http://truthinheart.com/Vineyard.html)

"a typical sermon. A form of godliness which denies the power of God. I mean a message that should have lead to a different conclusion and result than what they resulted in. I mean further that they would preach a form of holiness and freedom form sin and deny it on the other hand. The Gospel saves from sin but we are all sinners and no one is perfect. We are to be holy but no one really can in this world. This theology works itself out in saying that either we gradually give up our sins, or that when the Heavenly Father looks at us He only sees Christ and none of our PRESENT sins. This is rank antinomian heresy. This is in fact the worst problem with this and most ‘Evangelical’ movements. Mind you many people disguise their antinomianism so that it theoretically does not sound so objectionable. But practically speaking it is all the same and people are still left in their sins. So what I said years ago I still say. There is almost no need to concern ourselves with any other weird or diabolical behavior in these meetings when this is their gospel."

The rest of the article goes on about the demonic delusions that occured there, it's enough to make one sick.
And yet after perusing through the site, there also seems to be some almost paranoid, conspiracy minded aspects....what am I getting at?

Balance.

Sometimes it does seem like one giant bicycle wreck, some leaning to hard one way, others leaning the opposite way and boom!, tangled handlebars, bent rims and bruised knees.
For myself it has been a path backwards, since I came from a Catholic background, got saved, went through a lot of bad teaching (prosperity/WOF) and eventualy realized that the truth had to be back down the path somewhere, I turned around to try and find some perspective...and I have to keep going, not to develop my own 'theology' but to find the true heart of God...I hope I can hold on to my 'dogma' loosely enough to always be teachable and discerning enough not to be led into error....So much to learn.

I hope you will continue to share whatever is on your heart so that we all can be edified, we all can learn and grow into the conformity of Him who saved us, Jesus our Lord. I hope we all can speak the truth in love and lastly I will pray Ephesians 1: 15-21 for all of us:

"Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to mention you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come."

(P.S. That is one long sentence! What an awesome prayer this is!)

_/crsschk\_

2003/8/4 10:24Profile
jobee

Re:militancy towards Charasmatic movements.

William and Crsschk
Thankyou both for your graciousness.
The emperer is naked-
has anyone got a cloak?
well if I was to be militant, I would be a absolute hypocrite. It is all I have really known.
However I feel like I am often a stranger in my own house so to speak. My hope is that by caring, and keeping on caring, that the whole thing might not crash and burn in a screaming heap on the ground. Because there are still people in that burning building. :-o

2003/8/4 11:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy