SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Saudi gang-rape victim is jailed

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Saudi gang-rape victim is jailed

An appeal court in Saudi Arabia has doubled the number of lashes and added a jail sentence as punishment for a woman who was gang-raped.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7096814.stm

2007/11/16 7:39
Everett

West Bloomfield, MI

Re: Saudi gang-rape victim is jailed

She was jailed because she was in a car with a strange man who is someone she is not related to which in her case was against the law but over here in America and in other places of the world that is crazy to punish someone for something so minor.

Man, these Saudi women have it pretty hard.

I just wrote a paper this week on an article called "Life Behind the Veil" and this event is a living witness to the male dominance and the fear of women sexuality in those countries which is so prevalent today.

I think the veil that women wear over their whole body is called the chador and the system that endorses and encourages that is purdah in which women are to be covered at all times and that women are not suppose to be unveiled to men that are not closely related to them. The chador very much is symbolic of the system of purdah and the system is very much a reaction to the fear of the power of women sexuality that if it were let loose it would break down and destroy all that the middle eastern countries or states have worked so hard and relentlessly to build religiously, politically, morally, socially and economically.

WE MUST PRAY FOR THEM!

2007/11/16 9:45Profile

Re: Saudi gang-rape victim is jailed

Everett said

Quote:
this event is a living witness to the male dominance and the fear of women sexuality

I would put it this way: that veiling is an acknowledgement of the difficulty men have in controling their behaviour, and any women who doesn't appreciate that they can be overpowered by any person larger and physically stronger, is misjudging the significance of the differential.

Quote:
the system of purdah and the system is very much a reaction to the fear of the power of women sexuality that if it were let loose it would break down and destroy all that the middle eastern countries or states have worked so hard and relentlessly to build

Do you mean that men [i]should[/i] fear women?

If so, surely this is even more upside-down than their recognition of the need for safe distance?

2007/11/19 12:58

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy