SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Poor

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

The Poor

The heart of God is for all mankind. When Jesus came into the world He came to reconcile the world back to Himself. He went into the synagoguges, preaching the gospel of the kingdom. He trained His disciples. He preached to the multitudes.

However, a largest part of His ministry was reaching the poor. Jesus has a great burden that the poor become mighty in His name. I believe one of the key factors to seeing a revival is going back to doing what Jesus did - reaching poor people, loving them and believing they can become new creatures to the glory of His name.

I read this morning from Luke 8 about the demoniac from Gadarenes. Jesus went on a boat ride with His disciples, through a storm along the Sea of Galilee to get to this man. And he wasn't just a demoniac, he had a legion (equals 12,000 in military terms). A naked man, screaming in the tombs, cutting himself. Many would shun such a man today and say he belongs in the insane asylums. BUT JESUS WAS THERE. And this man was not only delivered, but it says that He was "clothed and in his right mind" sitting at the feet of Jesus. He became an evangelist to his city.

It was the outcasts, the poor, the down and outs that Jesus will go to. And I believe an awakening is coming that will burden the church to be the church in the streets again. Oh that God would raise up evangelists out of the poor in the streets of America like the man from Gadarenes.

2007/11/15 23:31Profile

Re: The Poor

Im so glad you posted this! :-) This has always been on my heart. If anyone has any suggestions on how to go about feeding the poor I would appreciate it. In our city you have to have a license. I do know of one woman who makes sandwiches and hands them out but she doesn't have a license. I guess I should call the city and find out.

Im really interested in knowing how people get started.

2007/11/15 23:37

Re: The Poor

Mattie said

Quote:
It was the outcasts, the poor, the down and outs that Jesus will go to. And I believe an awakening is coming that will burden the church to be the church in the streets again.

I noticed the allusion to the poor in Carter Conlon's recent preaching, and what struck me is that he believes in their potential; without that sort of faith in what the Lord can do for [i]anyone[/i], we will not even bother to make sure the poor have heard the gospel.

How often we make it an intellectual wrangle, instead of a straight-forward unapologetic declaration of the Son of God and His victory.

2007/11/17 6:56
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Quote:
Im really interested in knowing how people get started.

We got started first by having a burden for the poor and then just going and doing what God had burdened our hearts to do. It may be a bit scary at first, but if God has put it in our hearts He will protect us.

In Detroit we ended up feeding about 800 people a week and preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to thousands per week! Now in Skid Row Los Angeles we minister to thousands per week with the Good News of the Gospel and the message of the Cross! Glory to God. I would be happy to help you personally any way that I can, through email or even on the phone (if you PM me with your number I can call you) or even come in person to help if the Lord wills. The Lord has not only given us a burden for the poor, but also a burden to help others get started in street ministry, so I have and am willing to travel anywhere in the world to help with street ministry and evangelism to the poor.

Also, on the www.revivalarmy.com I have compiled numerous resources on street ministry that would be helpful - comps, sermons, videos, article, etc. - so please go and check those out - especially a lot of the comps and sermons are great encouragement for street ministry.

Please check out our street ministry website - www.streetrevival.org for pictures, videos, testimonies and updates of what the Lord has us currently doing on the streets of Skid Row.

God bless,

Patrick Ersig

2007/11/17 13:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy