SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Joyce Meyer's $23,000 Toilet:A Symbol Of The Prosperity Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Joyce Meyer's $23,000 Toilet:A Symbol Of The Prosperity Gospel

"Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA), the ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, has opened an investigation into the finances of six of the leading prosperity televangelists, Paula White, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer, Eddie Long, Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn. Grassley is looking into whether these celebrity preachers abused their tax-exempt status by using proceeds to enrich themselves with luxury items like mansions, private jets, and fancy cars."

Quotation from The American Prospect

A concise definition of the prosperity gospel: A well-coiffed and designer-clad televangelist badgers his TV listeners to send him their hard-earned dollars so that God will in turn financially bless them.

Jesus Christ never promised his disciples earthly rewards -- only heavenly rewards. For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world, but lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=42538

2007/11/15 20:23

Re: Joyce Meyer's $23,000 Toilet:A Symbol Of The Prosperity Gospel

Quote:
Jesus Christ never promised his disciples earthly rewards -- only heavenly rewards.

Jesus Christ never said that He wouldn't reward His disciples in this life. Look again:

Quote:
Mark 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold [b]now in this time[/b], houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, [b]with persecutions[/b]; and in the world to come eternal life.

Let us not forget that there is nothing wrong in earthly rewards, what is wrong is where is your heart? In heaven, or on the earth?

It's clear that those who teach the WOF doctrine are of the earth earthy and mind earthly things. But we who are spiritual desire Christ our treasure. But while we sojourn on planet earth, the LORD will see that every one is blessed accordingly. Some with little, others not too rich and not too poor, and just a few with a lot.

2007/11/15 20:56

Re:

Quote:

But while we sojourn on planet earth, the LORD will see that every one is blessed accordingly. Some with little, others not too rich and not too poor, and just a few with a lot.

The bible says He supplies our needs only. Sometimes we may have a want which may be a need such as a vacation which I need about now.:-)

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

This is how God feels about riches:
James 5:2
Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.

Some who get saved are already rich and the bible cautions them concerning thier riches:

1 Timothy 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

2007/11/15 21:22

Re:

I believe that if EVERY ministry, mega, huge and local would pay tithes themselves (take 10% or more) and put INTO the community, no one would need government help. But that's just my personal opinion. Could you imagine how much help there would be if mega churches did alone that?

I spoke with my last pastor about this and he told me that if they did that, they couldn't operate. I said, "Oh but you expect everyone of your members to operate like that."

This is from the REVIVAl email list:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTEGRITY, ACCOUNTABILITY & the GRASSLEY INVESTIGATION
-by Lee Grady.

Six charismatic ministries are under the microscope as a U.S. Senate committee scrutinizes their spending practices. Is this from the devil—or God?

Depending on how you look at it, Sen. Charles Grassley is either a crusader for righteousness or a devil with horns.

Some Christians feared he was the latter this week when the Iowa lawmaker, who is the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, announced that he has launched an extensive investigation into the spending practices of six prominent charismatic ministries. As soon as news of the probe broke on Tuesday, I started getting calls from people who are worried that
Grassley is plotting to take away the tax-exempt status of all evangelical churches in America.

I have been assured by one of Grassley’s top associates that he does not have a hidden agenda, and he is not conspiring to deny anybody of religious freedom. What the senator does want is assurance that these six organizations are not taking money that was donated to charity and misusing it to buy mansions, plastic surgeries and other lavish perks.

“The Christian public should have demanded a higher level of accountability a long time ago.”

In letters that were made public on Tuesday, Grassley told Kenneth and Gloria Copeland; David and Joyce Meyer; Randy and Paula White; Creflo and Taffi Dollar; Eddie Long; and Benny Hinn that they have four weeks to send him a boatload of paperwork to prove they are in compliance with U.S. tax laws.

Grassley has been applauded in the past for blowing the whistle on financial abuses among secular nonprofit organizations including the American Red Cross. Now, because of complaints he has received from the public, the senator is turning his attention to these six ministries, demanding that they send him receipts
for expensive purchases, minutes from board meetings, audited financial records and detailed compensation figures, among other documents.

Each of the ministries received a letter asking about specific expenditures or questionable practices. Among Grassley’s requests:

** A receipt for the Bentley convertible that Florida-based television preacher Paula White reportedly gave to Texas pastor T.D. Jakes

** Information from Bible teacher Joyce Meyer about expensive furnishings in her Missouri headquarters—including a $30,000 malachite table, a $23,000 commode with a marble top and a
$19,000 pair of Dresden vases

** Paperwork explaining how Benny Hinn’s ministry purchased his $3 million home in Dana Point, Calif.

** Receipts and other records explaining how Eddie Long paid for his $1.4 million estate on 20 acres in suburban Atlanta

** Records about vacation trips to Hawaii and Fiji that Kenneth and Gloria Copeland took using their ministry plane

** Clarification from Atlanta faith preacher Creflo Dollar about his role in raising a hefty portion of a $2 million gift donated to Kenneth Copeland.

We charismatics certainly are in an awkward spot these days. At the same time that Oral Roberts University (ORU) is under the microscope for alleged financial mismanagement, some of the biggest names in our movement are now accused of bending tax rules and spending God’s money on themselves.

I am not going to rush to judgment in this case. I know that Meyer pumps hundreds of thousands of dollars into missionary outreach projects in many parts of the world, and the IRS recently notified her that Joyce Meyer Ministries is operating in compliance with tax rules. Hopefully her answers to Grassley’s questions will satisfy the Senate committee so she can continue her programs without interruption.

At the same time I can’t understand how some preachers can take their offerings with a straight face. How can anyone, for example, think that it is a wise use of God’s money to pay $10,000 a night for a hotel room on the way home from a foreign ministry trip?

Something needs to be said. Questions need to be asked. That’s why I refuse to demonize Grassley for launching this probe.

What is unfortunate about this investigation is that it had to be initiated by someone in the federal government. The Christian public should have demanded a higher level of accountability a long time ago. Why have we been silent when we know certain ministries are operating without a proper board of directors or without any accountability?

I’ve been praying about all the uncomfortable shaking that is taking place in the church today—from the embarrassing moral failures to the cavalier ministry divorces to the ORU scandal—and I sense that God is the one who is orchestrating these events.

I believe He is raising His holy plumb line over the church today. He is demanding that we come in line with His higher ways. He is decreeing: “I will have a holy people. I will expose greed, arrogance, larceny and corruption, and I will correct theological error that has led My people into materialism, selfishness and idolatry. The process will be painful, but in he end My people will be purified.”

I hope every one of these ministries can prove they’ve done nothing wrong. But if God wants to use a senator to help the American church clean up its act, then I say bring on the reformation.

~J. Lee Grady is editor of Charisma.
SOURCE: http://www.charismanews.com/

--
YES! - You have permission to post these emails
to friends or to other groups, etc.

To subscribe, please send a 'subscribe' email to- [email protected]

See our website and discussion board- http://www.revivalschool.com

To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: [email protected]

To send material for consideration for publication, send to- [email protected]

MODERATOR:
Andrew Strom,
16355 Via Ultimo,
Moreno Valley,
CA 92551,
USA.

2007/11/15 21:26

Re:

Quote:

glorytoglory wrote:
Quote:

This is how God feels about riches:
James 5:2
Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.

My favorite David Wilkerson quote (from one of those compilations) as best I can remember...

Quote:
The rich man went to hell people

:-?

2007/11/15 21:29

Re:

Gen 24:35 And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become
great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold,
and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses.
Gen 13:6 And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell
together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell
together.

2007/11/15 22:03

Re:

One thing God does not do is prosper us so we can store up treasure on earth and go to hell...

I encourage everyone to listen to this message By David Kirkwood called the sheep and the goats.

[url=http://www.obeyjesus.net/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,306/]http://www.obeyjesus.net/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,306/[/url]

Spiritual Blessings in Christ - Jim

2007/11/15 22:09

Re:

Quote:

chandras wrote:
Gen 24:35 And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become
great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold,
and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses.
Gen 13:6 And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell
together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell
together.

This is the old covenant.

2007/11/15 22:12

Re:

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all
these things shall be added unto you.

2007/11/15 22:18

Re:

Quote:

chandras wrote:
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all
these things shall be added unto you.

You forgot the previous verses:

19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

2007/11/15 22:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy