SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : At steps of Georgia Capitol, governor prays for rain

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 At steps of Georgia Capitol, governor prays for rain

[b]At steps of Georgia Capitol, governor prays for rain[/b]

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue stepped up to a podium outside the state Capitol on Tuesday and led a solemn crowd of several hundred people in a prayer for rain on his drought-stricken state.

"We've come together here simply for one reason and one reason only: To very reverently and respectfully pray up a storm," Perdue said after a choir provided a hymn.

Georgia and its neighboring states are caught in a drought that threatens public water supplies. Perdue has ordered water restrictions, launched a legal battle against the release of water from federal reservoirs and appealed to President Bush. ...

read more: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2007-11-13-perdue-prayer_N.htm

2007/11/14 19:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: At steps of Georgia Capitol, governor prays for rain

I'm surprised there wasn't a greater turnout.

2007/11/14 22:25Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

and have you heard how the unbelievers are reacting? They are calling for him to resign from office. They are saying he is breaking the (imaginary) separation of church and state.

Personally, I admire the man for taking this action.

2007/11/15 10:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
and have you heard how the unbelievers are reacting? They are calling for him to resign from office. They are saying he is breaking the (imaginary) separation of church and state.

My imagination has stalled some....can someone help me? What can we wish for God to do to these distractors?

ginnyrose

2007/11/16 22:28Profile

Re:

I heard a small part of Jay Sekulow today...you know what, I'm asking God to answer those prayers in George to show the [i]power of prayer[/i] to these heathen who are mocking this governor and really, they are mocking God, His Word, and prayer.

Quote:

“It's time to appeal to him who can and will make a difference,” Perdue told the crowd.

Quote:

Protester Ed Bruckner sees a clear church-state violation in public prayer that is held on state property and led by Georgia’s top executive, reports Strassmann.

“It’s a public disgrace,” said Bruckner. “My public leader is making a fool of himself.”

Quote:

“I believe in miracles,” declared Pastor Maurice Watson of Beulahland Bible Church. “How about you?”

http://www.aclj.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=2793

And the [i]beginning[/i] of the answer:

Quote:

A storm crashed through the Southeast and brought up to an inch of rain in parts of drought-stricken Georgia, but forecasters said the storm likely did little to ease the state's historic drought.

The rainfall came two days after Gov. Sonny Perdue led a prayer service on the steps of the state Capitol to beg the heavens for an end to the drought.

http://www.aclj.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=2795

"Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth’s sake.
Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is now their God?
But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased." Psalm 115:1-3

I'm kind of excited about this... :-)

2007/11/17 21:09

Re:

Quote:
To very reverently and respectfully pray up a storm

This may be a small sign of what we will see as harder times come upon the US. Men and women coming to the end of themselves and seeking God for help. May we all be ready to share with them the pure Gospel truth and point them to Christ.

In Him - Jim

2007/11/17 21:25
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Quote:

My imagination has stalled some....can someone help me? What can we wish for God to do to these distractors? ginnyrose

I wasn't suggesting God do anything to the unbelievers who are protesting.

The imaginary line I'm referring to is this:
[u]Protester Ed Bruckner sees a clear church-state violation in public prayer that is held on state property and led by Georgia’s top executive, reports Strassmann.[/u]

Of course, as a believer, I just see another believer practicing his faith, not a government official establishing a religion by praying in a public place.

I'm glad to hear that God is answering the prayers of His people.

2007/11/19 13:23Profile

Wouldn't it been something if it rained while they were praying up a storm? But I can see why He didn't. It was an interfaith meeting, Muslims, Hindu's, Catholics and Protestants etc. If God had of given rain, anyone of those groups could have taken the glory for Allah or some other god.

LORD, thy will be done.

2007/11/19 13:38

Re:

Quote:
It was an interfaith meeting, Muslims, Hindu's, Catholics and Protestants etc.

I must have missed that detail :(

Would have been a great place to go open air though...

In Christ - Jim

2007/11/19 13:57
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Compliments...

Quote:
It was an interfaith meeting, Muslims, Hindu's, Catholics and Protestants etc. If God had of given rain, anyone of those groups could have taken the glory for Allah or some other god.

Although it was billed as an "interfaith" service, [url=http://onlineathens.com/stories/111407/news_20071114089.shtml]only Protestant ministers[/url] spoke, sang or publicly prayed. I think that we should at least be pleased that the Governor and Lt. Governor of that state appealed unto the Lord during a time of calamity.

Interestingly, I thought of [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%205:44-48;&version=9;]this Scripture[/url] when I first heard this story.

:-)

2007/11/19 14:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy