SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Preacher's Kid

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Preacher's Kid

Why is it that preachers have very little time for thier own kids? I have a prayer request for someone in this present situation and I don't want to say his name.

This person goes to his dad's house to visit and once again his dad is going fishing with a friend of his. His dad has no time for him. Now this person I am speaking of has turned cold towards God and the things of God. His dad believes he is serving the Lord and his son just needs to jump on board and follow in his footsteps.

I know you can't excuse sin, sin is sin. Adam had no excuse when he tried to blame Eve. Please pray for this person. If anyone knows how I can help someone in this situation please let me know.

2007/11/11 16:48

Re: The Preacher's Kid

I found this from another websight:

"Have you ever stopped to consider why preachers kids rebel? Maybe its because the only time they get the attention they need from mom or dad is when they are getting fussed at. Or maybe its a need for them to be recognized as a separate person apart from dad or mom. Or maybe its just because they are tired of being what everyone else wants them to be, they want to be different."

[color=0066FF]Of course whatever the reason is there is no excuse for sin but I am trying to find the right means to help this person.[/color]

2007/11/11 17:05
Compton

Re:

Glory,

I would be hestitant to wade into this situation from the outside. Relational puzzles are like a rubics cube where all the sides of the story are mixed together. Which color do we pick to fix first, yellow or blue? Likewise, which problem do we pick to 'fix' first, neglect or rebellion? Often our own dissapointments and expectations shape the "solution" we want for others. Often our own hurts, experiences, values and expectations become the "solution" we want for others. In family dynamics this can be volatile...as you know.

Having said that...has the son communicated that he is missing his dad? If this man is like me, such an honest comment would sting him to his core, and cause him to consider his priorities...taking whatever action is needed to make things better. Quitting the ministry is not out of the question, even for one who is called into ministry. In fact, if he is failing to minister first at home, he is neglecting the very call he aims to be committed to.

One other point...if it is clear that this pastor needs to spend more time with his son, then it will be clear to others in the church. If they continue to expect more time from the pastor when they know his family is missing him, then they are just as guilty as he. For instance, why doesn't his fishing buddy see this situation? The problem with many American churches is that they are affluent beehives for non-essential pet projects and activities.

Churches as peaceful communion of saints builds up people...churches as ambitious organizations devour people!

Blessings,

MC

2007/11/11 21:39Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Glory,

I would be hestitant to wade into this situation from the outside. Relational puzzles are like a rubics cube where all the sides of the story are mixed together. Which color do we pick to fix first, yellow or blue? Likewise, which problem do we pick to fix first, neglect or rebellion? Often our own hurts, experiences, values and expectations become the "solution" we want for others. In family dynamics this can be volatile...as you know.

Having said that...has the son communicated that he is missing his dad? If this man is like me, such an honest comment would sting him to his core, and cause him to consider his priorities...taking whatever action is needed to make things better. Quitting the ministry is not out of the question, even for one who is called into ministry. In fact, if he is failing to minister first at home, he is neglecting the very call he aims to be committed to.

One other point...if it is clear that this pastor needs to spend more time with his son, then it will be clear to others in the church. If they continue to expect more time from the pastor when they know his family is missing him, then they are just as guilty as he. For instance, why doesn't his fishing buddy see this situation? The problem with many American churches is that they are affluent beehives for non-essential pet projects and activities.

Churches as peaceful communion of saints builds up people...churches as ambitious organizations devour people!

Blessings,

MC

Thanks Compton, you have been such an encouragement on this site brother.

His dad is aware and he believes ministry is more important than family. He has also been told his son is backslidden and doesn't care. His son gets out of line with others in his fellowship in a big way and like Eli ignores it to the point people just leave.

The son is wrong no doubt and needs to repent. I have been trying to take the approach of helping him because he is a family member by getting him to recognize his need. God is sufficient regardless of what his dad does.So far though this doesn't seem to be working but hopefully in time. The pain is very deeply seated. His dad is a pharasee and has spent his lifetime abusing the body of Christ and his entire family.

2007/11/11 21:55
Compton

Re:

Quote:
His dad is aware and he believes ministry is more important than family. He has also been told his son is backslidden and doesn't care.

:cry:

2007/11/11 22:02Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy