Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Leading a house church / cell group

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
daniel-

Germany

Leading a house church / cell group

Hello!

it has come to pass in my life that God has given me some people he intends me to watch over as a shepherd. We are meeting once in a week as a 'cell group' or however you would call it.

We praise God, we read the scriptures, we pray.
I am realizing that this thing has its own dynamic. It is yet very fresh and many new people are coming. We started with 3 people some weeks ago and now we are already nearly 10 and it is still changing.

So, does anyone have an idea how to put this into a frame so that is not chaos.

Anyone any suggestions 'how to' study the bible together?
I know that it is not about 'how to's' ...but I also know that I have to have some organization.

Up until now we simply meet and read the scriptures, beginning in Genesis...

I would appreciate any help and experience in how to conduct such meetings!
I know that this is God-ordained and I am seeking him for direction, of course.

Daniel

2007/11/8 3:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Leading a house church / cell group

Quote:
So, does anyone have an idea how to put this into a frame so that is not chaos.

It might sound a little trite but I would encourage you not to 'put this into a frame'. It sounds as though this is organic; the best thing to do is to preserve the organic from human 'frames'. Once things are 'put into frames' they can be hung on walls as trophies but they cannot develop organically any longer.

Try asking the question 'how can I prevent this being put into a frame?' How can we maintain the instinctive life which is bubbling through? How can we facilitate God's easy access to this life phenomenon which is in our midst? Life needs little help, but diligent non-interference and protection from infection. :-)

Please don't read this at a 'put down'; it is just a plea not to 'cramp God's style' in what He is doing among you.

2007/11/8 4:58Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Hi Daniel,

How awesome it is to have this opportunity come into your life. I have been part of different house churches over the years and am currently leading one in my home. I can give you a general layout of what we do and how we conduct the meeting. This may sound basic, as in "House church 101", but it will give a decent overview of what happens in the group that meets in my home.

Before I start, it is important to recognize and realize a few points, then I will go into how our house church meets.

The Lord is in control of this group, not any man. Even as you are the house church leader, the Lord will raise up different leaders each week when He sees fit to do so, and the topic discussion may be totally different then what you (as the leader) expected it to be like. Suggestion: Let the Holy Spirit lead the direction, you will find the ALL come to greater revelation because of this submission. Its an awesome thing.

[u][b]Matthew 28:18-20 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

[i]And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore[a] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.[b] [/i]

Recognize that as the house church leader, YOU are discipling these men and woman under the Lords authority, for the Lord. Hold fast to making disciples of the Lord, not of a man made theology or religiosity . Remember that when you let the Holy Spirit lead, and He [u]will[/u] lead, it allows for His will to be done, not mans. Submit to His will and authority.

Teach from the Bible. At times the Spirit may lead you (or others) to discuss different books that people are reading and learning from. Be open to discussing these boooks and thoughts in these books. It is good and needed to have the people (and yourself) back up and reference the Bible on anything you read about outside of the Bible. Be prepared to be challanged, mentally and spiritually (never physically I hope :-) )

Be open and understanding to all view points that are of a debatable nature scriptually. Not everyone uses the same version of the Bible, some use multiple versions. In past groups, we have had differences of opinions on topics such as; The rapture, disipline, alcohol, different preachers/men of God that we listen to, music, etc... just about anything debatable that does not fall into sin. Hold true to the Word always, but not the word of man. Realize that not everyone will agree with everything that is taught or discussed. This ok. Keep praying and teaching. The Lord will reveal the Truth in His time.

I have found it better to not teach the "turn or burn" theology. There are times that this is dictated as directed by the Spirit, but a personal suggestion would be to refrain from this unless lead from the Lord. This does NOT mean be seeker sensative, just sensative to all around. Watch what you say. It is said on these forums a few times and I think that it is a great statement "You may win the arguement and lose a soul". This is not what the Lord has intended for any of us to do. Refrain from pushing people away through harshness. Let the Lord work in their spirit.

A major part of leading a house church is the responisbility that you take on. Realize that this is NOT just a "Monday thing" or a "weekend thing". You are making disciples for The Lord! This will mean that you are willing to sacrifice yourself for these men and women. It is a big calling and it can get long in the flesh, but rise above the flesh and focus on the Lord always. It is important to be in constant contact and "pour your life" into these men and women. As the leader, your calling is not greater, but just different. Pray for wisdom and revelation in this.

Not every meeting needs to be structured. Sometimes the Lord will put something on someone elses heart that has nothing to do with what you want to speak about. Remember that this is from the Lord, and we should humbly follow where He wants to take you. Sometimes people want to talk about their day and experiences in the day. This is a valuble real life teaching opportunity. Embrace it rather then discourage it. I cannot tell you the amount of times I (or others) wanted to speak on something, and the Lord comes in and moves it to something totally different. Its great to submit to the move of the Spirit.

Pray, pray and pray. Pray now, pray before you meet, pray while you meet, pray after you meet. Pray either openly or silently when all enter and leave your home. Pray over the seating of your home where people site, pray...

Here is how my/our group runs our Monday night meetings, but it not always the same.

We meet around 6-6:30pm. We sometimes break bread and have dinner together. This is good fellowshiping. The parents eat together when allowed (tons of kids running around).

We talk pray over the meal and sicknesses, different things. We talk either together, in smaller groups, only men sometimes, only women sometime, but together most of the time.

We talk about what the Lord leads us to talk about. Sometimes one person leads, sometimes another. We read over the bible and focus on the Word. We study the scripture.

At the end of the meeting, we pray blessings, for souls, healings and such.

We usually end around 10:30pm at night. But it does not stop there. This is just the meeting place and time. We also meet together throughout the week. We call eachther and keep eachother accountable. We meet on Sundays to worship together at our place of worship.

There is so much more. Please PM me for more detail.

May the Lord bless you in this move of His. Exciting times!

Christiaan

2007/11/8 10:18Profile

daniel- said

Quote:
and read the scriptures, beginning in Genesis...

I've been musing on your question.

Without disregarding the advice of philologos and Miccah, I would like to add, it might be helpful, in your focus on scripture, to acquaint your group with the chronological order in which the books should be placed.

I looked up the order of the prophets online, recently, and noted the solid historical basis of what is being said by each speaker in the overall scripture narrative. I think it's worth taking this in as you go.

2007/11/15 10:50
daniel-

Germany

Re:

Hello,

thank you for all of your suggestions and considerations and thank you Miccah for taking so much time to write.
I am sure the Lord will lead this house church.
We will stay `organic`, as Ron said.

Daniel

2007/11/21 6:42Profile
areed

Re:

Hi Daniel,

have to agree with Ron. It's easy to get a structure format but it's not easy to keep that organic expression. To me the benefit of meeting in a small group is to allow each one to participate as the Lord leads. eg: one has a hymn one has a psalm etc.... each one contributing their part.

We have been gathering in house groups for years and have found that the Lord is well able to lead. Leadership is following "the leader" so take some time to pray and ask Christ to lead your group. If you want ideas for emphasis I would say simply keep the emphasis on Christ and you will never be disappointed.

Ken

2008/2/9 21:51Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

So far, you have gotten really good suggestions.
From my experience, when we would me at someone's home, (and currently, we are at mine)...the biggest "problem" that I had was with food.
Yes...food.

It started off with just a few finger foods or chips...now it is covered dishes and full meals.
Now...don't get me wrong, I love to eat! and a bunch of Christians getting together seem to really know how to eat...but I hated the fact that after a time, we seemed to lose the true focus of why we were meeting in the first place.

Again, just my two-cents worth...but perhaps worth noting.

Keep God as the focus...allow the Holy Spirit to move. You should be fine.

God bless.

Mark

2008/2/10 21:26Profile
preacher777E

Re:Leading a house church

Be led by the Spirit.

Small groups or home churches are good because they don't usally have any selfish motives.Some of the best meetngs I have experianced have been in these groups by a simple formula which is not a formula at all.Simply praying and waiting on the Lord.The gifts of the Spirit seem to flow more.

God Bless

2008/2/10 21:57Profile
jimp

Re:

beloved,we started a home church 38 years ago as part of a local body. each week we changed houses where the head of that home was respomsible for the meeting.word,food,baby sitter etc. this is where bro. ravenhill taught when he was in town.it wasn't a burden on anyone all the time and developed powerful relationships and sirong church leaders.jimp

2008/2/11 2:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy