SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : What do you think about Pres. Bush and this War in Iraq?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
ArtB

New York

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:

While president Bush might have genuienly become a Christian sometime in the past, and was truly born again, I personally doubt he is currently living his life under the lordship of Jesus Christ. Although I will not say this about every political leader, it is difficult for me to imagine that a person who occupies such a high office in the world is a Christian.

Clearly George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Gearge W Bush, to name a few such Presidents, are Christians. Your assumption that obtaining such office nullifies one's Christianity is unjustifiable.

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:

Obtaining such an office did not come without much political manipulation, exalting of the self, putting others down "unashamedly" as if they were but mere dogs. ... Nor does staying in such an office not come without the same political manipulation, exlating the self, and putting others down.

I know of specifics where such charges apply to Bill Clinton, but not of George W. Bush. Perhaps you can supply the specific incidences of George W. Bush "putting others down "unashamedly" as if they were but mere dogs." Informing voters of one's qualifications to be President is not "exalting of self" and informing the same of their opponent's disqualifications to be President can not be simply labelled as "putting others down." One must demonstrate deceitfulness and outright deliberate lying on the part of the candidate.

Political manipulation is a wise and good tool in the hands of the righteous, e.g. King David used it often to bring about positive effects. But like any tool, it can be misused. What negative manipulation is GWB guilty of?

2004/5/29 2:16Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:

I find very little difference between the two. One party outwardly states that they are against God's laws. The other party only gives God's laws lip service. Both are guilty of the same disobedience.

I believe Bush stated that he is against gay marriage, but he is also okay with gay civil unions. Please correct me if I have mistated his position.

GWB and most Republicans are fighting for the sanctity of the Marriage union to be strictly between a man and a woman. Liberal Democrats, supported very strongly by the Liberal media (e.g. USA Today, Gannet newspapers, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS) have been very pro- gay marriage.)

GWB is not endorsing homosexual unions when he speaks of civil unions, he is arguing against the gay lobbies arguments for legalizing marriage between gays.

Please note that Civil Unions are currently legal and they are not at all similar to marital unions. A Civil Union is a legal contract between individuals regarding distribution of material possesions in the event of death and seperation. When I had my own business, I entered in to such civil union with my partner that identified our roles in our business and mandated an equitable distribution of corporate wealth in event of one partners death. Gays have claimed that they need marital status to legally pass on their material possesions (wealth) to their surviving gay partner. However this could easily be accomplished by a civil contract between the two.

Quote:

rookie wrote:

I don't believe God needs us to vote. I do believe that God needs us to be vessels prepared for good works. He uses men to proclaim the Gospel. He works in men so that they can glorify Him in love and truth.

In a dictatorship such as the former Soviet Union or in Saddam Hussein's Iraq this would be true.

However, in the USA, our type of government allows us to be involved in the politcal process and to make a legitimate choice to elect those who govern us and to choose candidates that genuinely reflect our views. As such I see Christians not voting as a dereliction of our duty to God. Part of our 'good works' is to raise up and elect candidates that most closely represent our Biblical worldview, that Godly men may govern our nation.

2004/5/29 3:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

[b]Do you think there needs to be a greater sense of urgency for the federal marriage amendment?[/b]

People have got to understand that the definition of marriage is being changed act by act. And the reason I thought a constitutional amendment was the right avenue on this issue it's because it would prevent the definition—it would reaffirm the current definition of marriage and prevent it from being changed decision by decision or act by act.

George Bush
[url=http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/121/51.0.html]Bush Calls for 'Culture Change'[/url]

2004/5/29 8:04Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Re:

Hey ArtB,

I'm glad someone else thought it was sad that on a Christian forum that we were bashing our own president. I thank God for a man (George Bush) with ethics, dedicated to his family, that proclaims Christ, and loves our nation. He may have faults, but let's uphold him in prayer and in conversation, lest we allow the alternative to take office next January. :cry:

Kendal

2004/5/29 14:13Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy