SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Revival Conference

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Hanna,
please forgive my saying so but it seems to me that your posts have an aire of bitterness about them. Something of a coldness- hardness- even somewhat of an "I wish you had it together like I do" attitude there. Consider this please and PM Mike like he earlier suggested. Surely your offense can be resolved, apologies be made, whatever needs to happen. But I ask you for the sake of the believers here and for your own sake to consider this.
Grace be upon you and multiplied to you dear sister.

2007/11/7 10:20Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Hannah...

While I was unable to attend the conference due to some unforeseen circumstances, I was extremely blessed by the things that I watched and heard via the internet.

I’ve often wondered whether each of us has a preconceived idea of what revival is and what it would look like. Does a revival have to look like the events surrounding great men like Whitfield, Finney, Wesley, Booth or Roberts? Will it always consist of pre-organized “disorganized” prayer meetings? Will we see fire, hear wind or fear the Earth quake? I have been in meetings where the Spirit of the Lord appeared to be moving, yet I felt alone in my discomfort, almost completely unmoved. I have also been in meetings where the place reeked of lifelessness, but I was filled with a great revelation or impartation from God. Wouldn't you agree that a revival needs to be personal before it can be collective?

The most powerful times that I ever had with God were when I was alone. Whether I was in my prayer closet, an empty room or taking a lonely walk outside in nature -- I was able to shut out the thoughts of this world and concentrate full attention of intimacy with Christ. There is something spectacular about the way that the Lord moves upon us in private. I have felt as though I were walking with an “open heaven.” There is nothing artificial about it, and no one is around to either impress or try to impress us. But maybe that is it. Perhaps revival has nothing to do with the outward manifestations with God and everything to do with the simple knowledge that God is not limited by an incomprehensible void between life and death, Heaven and Earth, or the natural world versus his spiritual omnipotence and control. God is untamed by the limits that we often place upon Him.

A church that I used to attend began a habit of turning off the lights. Apparently, the Church experienced a “move of God” with the lights off once, so they have been trying to replicate it ever since! The people of the congregation were also in a habit of “anointing” the pews with oil so that the Spirit of God would “move freely” in the place (unaware that the oil reference was a reference to the anointing of kings, and as if the oil were going to make a difference in the output of the meeting). This particular congregation always sought a revival, but seemed to be more interested with the effects of a revival (full prayer meetings, exciting meetings, subsequent evangelism, etc…) than they were in the preparation for it. But isn’t that what revival is?

Once we prepare our hearts, we must have faith and leave it up to the Lord to reveal Himself. I often wonder whether or not we would have considered the meetings where Paul, Peter, John and even Jesus preached a “revival?” I don’t recall very many outward manifestations usually associated with “revival” within those meetings. In fact, some people fell asleep (Acts 20:9), fell away (John 6:53-66), some questioned the validity of what was said (Acts 17:10-15), some caused disruption (Acts 16:16-24) and some even tried to kill (Luke 4:16-28; Acts 14:8-20). Rather, I feel that a true revival is when EACH of us prepares our hearts to a King that is not relegated to a meeting, a message or a group.

A revival is not restricted to a great word, a man of great faith, outward manifestations or even a time of spiritual unity. If the Lord doesn’t move us via the intimacy within our own private prayer closet, then the problem is probably intrinsic. However, I sometimes think that we often hope that revival will simply bring others to our own understanding, appreciation and hunger for the things of the Lord.

Once upon a time, Mary and Martha quarreled about this sort of thing in Luke chapter 10:

Quote:
[b]38[/b] Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
[b] 39[/b] And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
[b] 40[/b] But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
[b] 41[/b] And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
[b] 42[/b] But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Dear sister, I don’t pretend to fully understand your concerns. However, I am certain that the brethren involved with the Conference were doing the best they could with one desire – to see the Lord have His way in the meetings. I pray that we can marvel at the work of God in the place. In fact, I received a special blessing from the Lord over a thousand miles away while listening and watching via the Internet! Were we looking for another Welsh Revival to result from these meetings? Perhaps there already was a revival GOING IN to these meetings. Who would attend such a Revival Conference anyway? The spiritually dead? The people in attendance were probably the ones who usually begin revivals (through steadfast prayer, fasting, passionate hunger, etc…) rather than the ones who are initially moved by a revival of God. Those people already HAVE an intimate relationship with the Lord. The conference, I suspect, was meant to revive those who are asleep while challenging those who are awake to do whatever it takes to “sound” the wake up call.

As a teen, I had an evangelist friend who traveled across the country to attend a supposed “revival” that he had heard about. When he returned, I asked him what he had received. He replied, “[i]I received the knowledge that I don’t have to travel across the country to receive the same touch from God that I can receive in my prayer closet[/i].” I don’t feel that the goal for the revival conference was to necessarily begin another Welsh, Topeka or Azusa revival for the Church in Canton. Why? As much as God loves Canton, not many of us live there. Rather, I think that it was to impart a desperate hunger within each of us to carry to the slumbering and dire conditions of our own homes, towns, countries and churches.

Anyway, I apologize if this doesn’t make much sense, or is not reflective of your true feelings. And please forgive my rambling. I understand that prayer (of the heartfelt, agonizing type) is the catalyst for God’s Spirit to move upon a place. But there were no restrictions on prayer. While there may have been some restrictions in a building, or during a meeting, etc…, people could still pray (and agonize) for God to move. There are no limits to distance for our omnipotent Lord! The effectiveness of our prayer is not shut out by walls or doors. In fact, sister Hannah, our prayers are meant to bring spiritual barriers down. Yet I think that the goal of the conference was to do just that. May God fan the spark that began in Canton in a thousand cities and towns!

:-)

2007/11/7 12:12Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
While I was unable to attend the conference due to some unforeseen circumstances, I was extremely blessed by the things that I watched and heard via the internet.

Are the sessions still available via the internet? I have searched a little but not found them.

2007/11/7 13:01Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
Are the sessions still available via the internet? I have searched a little but not found them.

Greg said that everything should be available here on SI in a few weeks. Audio and video to my understanding. Looking forward to getting it :-D

2007/11/7 13:32Profile
dohzman

Re: Walkington

I normally do not respond to posters who refuse to be known, those who hide behind anomonity. The reason is that they can shoot thier arrows as it were without either conscience or accountability. They can spout big ideas without showing any real substance to thier ideals. I don't know what you saw or maybe didn't see "walkington", I do know you suddenly appeared and became the authority and central figure in the moment by moment blow, as it were, but here's something to think about, Brother Ron Bailey spoke the Sunday nite following the Conference, the Lord came in a very real and present way, the impact of that visitation is still being felt at that little church to this very day. I personally plan to go back down there so as to get a first hand look in the next couple of weeks. Do I think Ron was the reason for this manifestation? No. He was a willing vessel though. That said consider this; I hear in mine hearing, do you know the Spirit of the Living God well enough to know what exactly He has done in the hearts and minds of those that were present? Have you followed each person who attended close enough to say for certianity that what transpiried at the Conference wasn't life changing? Maybe it didn't change you. Have you ever gone up to a total stranger and spoke something specificly to them from the Lord and it was exactly perfectly accurate? Than used that platform to witness to them, and all that outside the four walls of the church building? When's the last time you prayed for someone who recieved a manifested physical healing, right on the spot? Answer that if you can.

Quote:
We look for a practical lifestyle which honours God, honours His word and honours man.
Revival is genuinely practical.

You have no idea what happened in the hearts and minds of those who were present.

We saw God do what He decided was best for the present time. I personally cannot answer for or even second guess God, I neither know the hearts of men well enough nor the inter workings of God's Spirit well enough to make statements to what I saw or did not see at the Conference. I can tell you this, the full impact of that Conference has not been seen, like a seed that was buried and dies for a season, God's Word will not return void, it will accomplish that for which its was sent, and the laborer who watches over that seed like Abram who watched over that covenant sacrifice until the Lord came and walked through the peices, so also The Holy Spirit will brood over that precious seed and than at the appointed time will breath upon His garden life.

Quote:
Promises are carelessly and without respect reduced to a minimum rather than to be employed in an intense cry unto the Lord for a fullness of the Cross in operation – a blaming God for the poor results in impacting lives.

You're devoid of faith.

Quote:
This is often traced to serious discrepancy in what we say we believe in and what we really do believe in – and thereby not being able to honour the Word of God and his promises.

Kind of self righteous don't you think? God knows the hearts of His children. Again you have set yourself as our play by play judge, but you refuse to come out into the light, but you shoot from the shadows that which is false. I wonder what happened to the Words by faith.....The last chapter hasn't been written on the lives of the people who attended the conference, therefore I have faith in God that the fires that were lite in the haerts and lives of those who attended will result in that which honors God and brings Him glory.

2007/11/7 13:35Profile

Re:

First, a quote from a Carter Conlon sermon called ”The violent overthrow of the House of the Lord”:
“The state of the House of Prayer is the source of the distress that has come upon the nation.”
“The zeal of Thine House has eaten me up”.

Generally we look upon salvation, on being born again, even on revival as a point of arrival – at this point we will stay and be safe. We have made it. Here we will establish ourselves for our future safety and success.
But, the Lord intends differently – the experience is but a point of beginning, even a point of departure.
And this scares the many: Leaving for a journey into the unknown is threatening. That is why so many react negatively to those who are eager to move on, further into the presence of the Lord. The speaking about maturity is an offence to the many who are satisfied with what is given by the Lord at the point of beginning.
The consolidating of the experience is done by theology, by an eager work of the mind to build a fortress for defence. The consolidating of the experience is done by a warding off of the messenger who carries a blessed message of a deeper life – “Do not accuse us, we had an experience 10, 20 or 40 years ago”. The preacher proudly stands up to say that he was shown his wretchedness 40 years ago – but what happened after that? No deeper insight, no life. Life brings further revelation of both Heaven and hell – of Heaven and hell within.

Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and to them that are secure in the mountain of Samaria, the notable men of the chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel come! Am 6:1.
- a word used in the conference.
Woe to those who misinterpret the fact that we have all in Christ. Does the Lord have all of us – to reveal to us the corporate expression of the house of the Lord?

Let mount Zion be glad, Let the daughters of Judah rejoice, Because of thy judgments. Psa 48:11.
Our role is to honour the Lord, stand for the vindication of his name and of his word. There is such a long way to go if we are to come to the fullness of Christ in our midst. But to silently stand for this testimony is to become a part of the offence of specificity which the inner life, the formation of Christ within has become to the many who think that their birthright includes a being at ease in Zion.
Zion is peace, but it is certainly peace of a different kind. Zion is peace because of the willingness of its inhabitants to come away from the old ways and to act according to the law written within.
We must go on, seeking the face of the Lord for a revival which brings the values of Eternity to the forefront.

2007/11/7 14:17
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Sister Hanna...

After reading your post along with your former posts, I still can't seem to understand your concern. Is there a particular incident from the Revival Conference that frustrates you? Correct me if I am wrong, but I felt from reading a former post that you were disappointed in regards to a particular time of corporate prayer (or lack thereof). Is there something else bothering you that you refer to as those that are "at ease in Zion?"

Thanks for any sort of clarification.

:-)

2007/11/7 14:31Profile

Re:

My dear Dohzman,

What kind of toes are yours? Indeed sensitive. . .
Am I to draw a description from each one of you who are posting on these forums to be able to know you – and then describe who I am. What kind of special rules are you establishing for this man?

I am just a pilgrim, relating to a prayer setting which has taken serious interest in the conference in Canton to cover and to care for its outcome.
The postings are just thoughts, very simple thoughts which have appeared in our fellowship as we have been together before the Lord. There is no ambition whatsoever to be professionals – who is sufficient for this, said Paul.
But, we are a fellowship, accountability is one important thing to us.

I am not going to argue with you regarding what you have posted. . .
Blessings,
Walkington

2007/11/7 14:54
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
very simple thoughts which have appeared in our fellowship as we have been together before the Lord. There is no ambition whatsoever to be professionals – who is sufficient for this, said Paul.
But, we are a fellowship, accountability is one important thing to us.

I am struggling to discern where you are 'coming from' too. When you say 'we are a fellowship' are you writing on behalf of a group of people who are gathering to pray somewhere?

I think this is one thing that may be troubling some of us. Are you a 'spokesperson' for others? You seem to have a separate point of reference to the other posters on this thread. I think this gives a slightly mystical and superior tone which disturbs some of us.

Can you tell me who you are actually 'accountable' to? Thanks.

2007/11/7 16:01Profile
Rahman

Hi Hanna ...

[b][color=0000CC]Hanna i'm posting this in the love of Jesus Christ and hope if you reply you will do in kind,[/color][/b] but what you're posting is kinda unclear (cryptic almost actually) and in my re-reading it seems to me that you're implying that there wasn't enuf emphasis on "prayer" at "The Revival Conference", or that even perhaps by your estimation the entire meeting should have been devoted to "prayer" regarding REVIVAL and nothing else ... Is this your take? ... Actually at first i to thought it was to be all prayer with no speakers, etc., but soon after Greg made clear the arrangements, that it was "The Revival Conference", and i took it to be exactly as what it was listed as ...

[b]Conference:
a: a meeting of two or more persons for discussing matters of common concern.
b: a usually formal interchange of views.[/b]

i wan't there, but to me if anyone went there expecting something other than the itenerary presented then that's not the fault of the conference, those attending, or those who put it together ... i was searching again, but can't find it now, where someone else complained of "The Conference" that "personal testimony" time was interupted because "there wasn't enuf time left" to continue ... i could see where that might get someone upset, especially someone who might be aware of the history of past Revivals where it's said that time seemed to cease to be a delieniation, but again this was a revival "conference" not an actual REVIVAL in the sense as someone else stated that most of us has come to define REVIVAL ... It was a conference within a certain frame of dates, with an itinerary for those dates ...

i praise God for the conference, and even tho i knew i'd not be there prayed for it also as i believe Holy Spirit unctioned Greg toward it (and those who participated in it) just as sure as He did in His use of Greg to start SI, and even tho some may find all kinds of fault with the conference Rom. 8:28 hasn't even had time yet to really begin the revelation of just how it's "working toward the good" of many of the attendees, and how that will eventually work to even further glory to God ... i know for myself in reading some of the attendees comments, even in changes of post in how some refer to another, or others, the workings of Holy Spirit within themselves (in personal revival), and how that spills forth a living waters of love - God's love ...

One thing i've learned in Christ is that just because i might not get a blessing out of something (especially if i concider it old news) it don't mean that some other saint ain't gettin blessed ... i've found that the key is really it ain't about me getting blessed, or the other saint either, it's all about His eventually getting the glory out of us ALL ... Again that's why bro Currin's sermon spoke so strongly to me about being careful not to let not my not seeing God work as i want to see Him work allow me to slip into complacency, or any other form of "anger" birthed by disappointment ---

Hanna you also wrote;
"Generally we look upon salvation, on being born again, even on revival as a point of arrival – at this point we will stay and be safe. We have made it. Here we will establish ourselves for our future safety and success. But, the Lord intends differently – the experience is but a point of beginning, even a point of departure."

--- Amen, i can get to your statement ... But i also hear our Lord saying in essence to take one day at a time, for each day has it's own sufficient troubles ... When it comes to true REVIVAL i'm waiting on Him to get us to the point of repentance first, let alone what could transpire afterwards ... To me this is like talking about approaching a finish line, and we've not even got up to the starting gate as yet ... One thing i believe i'm becoming more and more aware of and it's this, when it comes to true REVIVAL if God by His own will and plan don't place us in the starting gate, we sure ain't gonna get there on our own ... So whatever we don't agree upon, don't do, debate, argue and bicker back and forth about, as you said "the Lord intends differently", in that He's said nothing will prevail against His Church, and that even in spite of ourselves He is coming back for a "refined" Church spotless and unblimished ...

This to me says a massive and corporate repentance and REVIVAL is on His agenda for us somewhere within His divine timetable, and even tho we don't see It clearly God is working it ALL out, and in the meanwhile for any of us who think we may have become by His priviledge to know a little something more of the mind of our Lord than others then may this scripture be ever more magnified within us as a "proof" within our wait
(in fact He just hit me with this the other day) ...

[b]2Thes.3
[5] And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.[/b]

Blessings in Him to whom ALL vengence belongs, but of our showing forth His love abroad He sets upon us no bounds!

Wonderful JESUS! ---

2007/11/7 16:22Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy