SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Revival Conference

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Revival Conference

Revival
Proper order

Revelation – Brought to light
Reproach – a true seeing regarding one’s inner standing
Resolution – a taking heed
Repentance – genuine outcome
Restitution – a vindication of the perpetrated
Reconciliation – the Cross at work
Restoration – newness of life
Resemblance – a formation of Christ within

2007/11/7 3:35
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I think there is still a fair amount of digesting going on for some of us and the Carter Conlon dream may have given some cause to pause and wonder.

There is a saying that old generals always refight the last war. It refers to the fact that they had seen the old ways and now know how to do it better 'this time'. There must always be a danger that those who pray will pray for the 'last revival' ie a repeat, but without the mistakes, of the last time God moved. This has interesting implications when you get a gathering of people together who have different 'recollections' of the 'last war'. Some from the more sober holiness traditions will have one memory and those from the more exuberant traditions will have another memory. It was interesting to me that most of the speakers provided their own definition of revival in the course of their messages.

The danger of course is that the gap between 'expectation' and 'delivery' is usually called 'disappointment'. So we may well have folk who have a measure of disappointment because their 'last war' was not properly re-fought.

Many years ago I visited Lincoln College in Oxford UK where they have a reproduction of John Wesley's study. Visitors can lean over the stable-door and get the feel of what it would have been like to be there in Wesley's day. I did just that and then added my name to the visitors book. There was a column for 'comments' and I instinctively wrote 'do it again Lord'. I was instantly checked in my heart with a word which said "I am the Origin. All that I do is origin-al; I never repeat myself". I walked from the college somewhat subdued and deep in thought.

It is impossible for human beings to be genuinely objective and the biggest follies are committed by those who think they are. We are all the products of our history and experience and that affects our expectations.

Was I disappointed? No, but then I didn't have the clear expectations that some others may have had. Was this lack of faith? Well, I can only believe what God shows me so without revelation what we often call 'faith' is more likely to be 'hope'. I was particularly blessed and challenged by some messages; some more that others. I was blessed to have been there and for me the 'face to face' with several SI-ers was a particular blessing.

Maybe it was a call back to SI's original roots? If you go back far enough you will discover that this website began life under the heading... "the revival we need". We have some fascinating discussions on the forums but the purpose, as I understand it of this website, is to encourage each other in prayer and a practical walk of holiness and righteousness; to prepare the way of the Lord and to pray for his conscious presence in the temple which is his church.

2007/11/7 6:12Profile

Re:

God honours an honest crying out to Him to ”revive us again”, to bring us back to life.
A hesitation to do so would cause much displeasure in Heaven.

2007/11/7 6:21
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
God honours an honest crying out to Him to ”revive us again”, to bring us back to life.

Certainly He does. But how would we know whether or not God had answered that prayer unless we had some idea of what we were expecting? I know that God doesn't allow our theology to get in the way of our authentic heart desires, but it is only as I pray specific petitions that I can recognise specific answers to my prayers. If I pray 'God bless granny' how would I know if my prayer had been heard?

The very petition 'revive us again' implies that I know what I am expecting. That 'again' must have some link to a previous experience. So when I pray 'revive us again' what am I, personally, really asking for?

2007/11/7 6:40Profile
dohzman

Re:

I agree, I was recently speaking from Mark 8:26 when the Lord dropped something into my heart from Isa 43:19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now shall it spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Revival is an expression of who God is, in its truest sense it is the Life of Christ in the heart of man/woman. Not everyone needs revival. Some are already walking in the light as He is in the light. What more is there than this? I heard one of the speakers say something like, "sometimes we expect more from ourselves than God requires of us, and sometimes we do less than what God wants from us", that to me seemed pretty liberating and yet held a sense of conviction too, "Lord which one am I"?

2007/11/7 6:41Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
If I pray 'God bless granny' how would I know if my prayer had been heard?

That's funny, but there is a truth there. We (several friends of mine here) used to say to people that we were meaningful specifics and not broad generalities in life. I think many people live life as broad generalities while some zero in on being meaningful specifics, the same does go with our prayer life. The question really than is Lord which one am I?

2007/11/7 6:53Profile

Re:

We sometimes encounter a strange form of reductionism in regards to what God wants to do for us and in us.

Promises are carelessly and without respect reduced to a minimum rather than to be employed in an intense cry unto the Lord for a fullness of the Cross in operation – a blaming God for the poor results in impacting lives.

This is often traced to serious discrepancy in what we say we believe in and what we really do believe in – and thereby not being able to honour the Word of God and his promises.

We look for a practical lifestyle which honours God, honours His word and honours man.
Revival is genuinely practical.

2007/11/7 7:00
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Revival Conference

Quote:
It is impossible for human beings to be genuinely objective and the biggest follies are committed by those who think they are. We are all the products of our history and experience and that affects our expectations.

Was I disappointed? No, but then I didn't have the clear expectations that some others may have had. Was this lack of faith? Well, I can only believe what God shows me so without revelation what we often call 'faith' is more likely to be 'hope'. I was particularly blessed and challenged by some messages; some more that others. I was blessed to have been there and for me the 'face to face' with several SI-ers was a particular blessing.

Maybe it was a call back to SI's original roots? If you go back far enough you will discover that this website began life under the heading... "the revival we need". We have some fascinating discussions on the forums but the purpose, as I understand it of this website, is to encourage each other in prayer and a practical walk of holiness and righteousness; to prepare the way of the Lord and to pray for his conscious presence in the temple which is his church.

Good to see more response to all that has occurred and would second this with certainty;
Quote:
I think there is still a fair amount of digesting going on for some of us

Mentioned much of a similar nature in the other thread about expectations as you did here Ron. That is neither here nor there ...

Quote:
A conference of this kind, of this dignity, should cause much and deep thinking regarding spiritual causes and effects leading to practical conclusions and strategies involving interaction in prayer - but of this we see none.
It is as if the congregation is hiding from this analyze, hiding from taking action. The most wordy items in the treads are indulging in an advanced dodging of issues – echoing the many before them, saying “all is now well”.
We are continuing in prayer, asking for light to be shed for the sake of revival.
Hanna

I must ask and will admit that I find much of this particularly ... irritating? grievous? But just who is the 'we' you are speaking of? "wordy items" and your own? This is the second time now that you have voiced your complaint and yet have not come right out and spoken plainly, though it was asked of you to send this privately so as to not make matters more confused ... Do you not recognize the level of accusation laced throughout this, what makes you think that either a deeper level of matters is not taking place or did not take place or that something is being skirted ... Quite a presumption to counter with an 'all is well', could it be possibly that the issue is your own? That whatever expectation you or whoever 'we' is are upset that things did carry on along the prescribed lines of your expectations?

I would far rather not see this as a defending of anything, as was mentioned ... perhaps more than a few of us were not disappointed because we came seeking only Him and are quite content that He might do just as he is pleased to do. And at this particular stage of the processing and there is much to process still, that the glaring, overriding fact, perhaps not 100%, but predominantly, was an earnest and honest unity was present, who else but the Lord could draw such a thing together? If one were to take a real sobering look at that and not push it off the side as no big deal ... it is quite remarkable. This forum with it's variety and difficulties but also with it's penchant for overblown opinionating at times has had touches of it here and there over the years ...

Nothing was contrived or calculated and if you had the slightest inkling of how this all came together it might surprise ... The many 'players' behind the scenes, quietly chipping in collectively, the folks who provided the web cast come to mind. Perhaps that is part of my irritation with this, when you have people willingly traveling from all over the world, those who spoke of their own volition and cost, a place opened up to the conference who knew next to nothing of SI ... Where their mistakes made? Likely! That you or 'we' whoever you are have some issues and concerns, very well, that is understood, but to go about making these assumptions seems quite unwise.

2007/11/7 8:30Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

I have been particularly challenged of late by an old sermon of G.W. north from around 1977. He talked about how Jesus came to send FIRE on the earth; he then asked, "Could He safely send you?"

I believe the conference was the beginnings of a rekindling of the FIRE that, to some degree or another, may have died down in our lives. It is interesting to note that Jesus said we are the 'light of the world'. In the 1st century the only real sources of light originated in fire. The Sun is a ball of fire. the moon is a reflection of that ball of fire. The stars are balls of fire. Torches are fire. Candles are fire.

God wants to light individuals on FIRE with His presence, that they might burn for Him. That is what priests do- they burn things. they burn sacrifices and incense. We are kings and priests unto God- are we burning?

A bruised reed shall he not break, [u]And smoking flax shall he not quench[/u], Till he send forth judgment unto victory. (Matt. 12:20)

The prophet referred to our LORD here as this is taken from Isaiah 42. What good is a candle if there be no fire? What good is a candlestick in the first place? Is it an item of decor? To remove the candlestick is to remove the FIRE. Ephesus had FIRE, but did they have fruit? We need fruit and FIRE.

I am come to send FIRE!, Jesus said. What good are we if we have no FIRE? An old time preacher was asked how a person could get on fire for God. He simply reached into a burning fireplace with a steel poker. Upon leaving it for a while he pulled it back bright and orange illuminating the darkened are of the room. He then exclaimed, I put the rod in the fire- and now the fire is in the rod.

The conference, for me, was a time of God putting me back into the Fire. What good am I to anyone if I have no Fire?

2007/11/7 9:05Profile

Is it that many of us are not able to see, not able to respond properly because we are so eager to defend what we actually received? And, by the way, this writer is certainly not here to take what you got away from you. But, the way some of you are acting is about to kill that which was yours.

Wouldn’t it be better to interact and to seek common categories and parameters within which we would find grace to become practical in our efforts for revival. Hiddenness reveals darkness.

Either we are quenching the fire by unwillingness to honesty or we are bringers of light and a warming fire to the ones out in the cold, even a reminder of the furnace heated for further cleansing. – Just to refer to Robert W’s excellent comment. . .

2007/11/7 9:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy