SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Bill Hybels repents of the Seeker-friendly method?!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Bill Hybels repents of the Seeker-friendly method?!

Here's the report from Christianity Today:
[url=http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2007/10/willow_creek_re.html]Willow Creek Repents?[/url]

A feature by Todd Friel from Way of the Master Radio (it's roughly around the last third) :
[url=http://podcast.wayofthemasterradio.com/audio/podcasts/1107/WOTMR-11-05-07-Hour2.mp3]Way of the Master Radio, November 5, 2007, Hour 2[/url]

2007/11/5 22:41Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Bill Hybels repents of the Seeker-friendly method?!

Thankyou for finding this...

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/11/6 2:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Hybels confesses:

We made a mistake. What we should have done when people crossed the line of faith and become Christians, we should have started telling people and teaching people that they have to take responsibility to become ‘self feeders.’ We should have gotten people, taught people, how to read their bible between service, how to do the spiritual practices much more aggressively on their own.

Quote:
Does this mark the end of Willow’s thirty years of influence over the American church? Not according to Hawkins:

Our dream is that we fundamentally change the way we do church. That we take out a clean sheet of paper and we rethink all of our old assumptions. Replace it with new insights. Insights that are informed by research and rooted in Scripture. Our dream is really to discover what God is doing and how he’s asking us to transform this planet.

Well there is something of "repentance" here but definetly not anything ground breaking at this point. Hybel's methods have influnced 10,000's of churches to cater programs for people selfishly and really offer a worldly substitute for a spiritual reality.

2007/11/6 2:45Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Greg wrote:

Quote:
Well there is something of "repentance" here but definetly not anything ground breaking at this point. Hybel's methods have influnced 10,000's of churches to cater programs for people selfishly and really offer a worldly substitute for a spiritual reality.

Up until these last few months I had not paid much attention to this type of movement. But I have come to realize that the Brethren in Christ denomination has been infected with this movement.

I would suggest that everyone listen to the radio segment that is reccommended on this thread.

I have entered the battle to lift our local congregation out of this worldly system...

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/11/6 4:33Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

For my part they haven't repented. The whole thing seems to be treated as a big joke.

The eternity of souls are at stake here, and all they seem to be doing is research and quoting statistics.

Just because someone admits they are wrong does not mean they have repented.

2 Cor 7v10, 'For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted, but the sorrow of the world produces death'.

If they have really repented, some people might leave the church and go to another seeker church.

Some might like the change toward God.

The fact is, the 'repentance' came about because people were asking questions about why they were not growing in God etc, not because of any conviction or remorse.

Time will tell.

God bless.

2007/11/6 7:35Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
The fact is, the 'repentance' came about because people were asking questions about why they were not growing in God etc, not because of any conviction or remorse.

The presumption here, which I don't think they have is that there previous methods were unbiblical and heretical.

The bible is very vague as to what the church as a collective did to encourage growth in individual members. This, I believe, is where we get all these different 'programs' to get people involved in the life of a church.

I think that it is amazing that they even took the time and the money to ask the question 'what is the average spiritual depth of our flock?' Maybe, that in itself was the start of God trying to bring correction and balance to their church.

Friends, this should bring us great encouragement, God speaks, and thankfully it seems like they have heard.

Let us pray that they have wisdom in how to change the direction and ultimately the very fabric of their church. Let us pray friends!

2007/11/6 9:25Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

After reading the article, I can't tell what they are "repenting" about. It doesn't appear that the leaders are repenting over the massive self-promotion/church-growth methodology. Rather, it appears that they are simply disappointed that some of their church-growth methods are not working as hoped (and hence, a "waste" of financial resources).

It would be nice for the leaders of this church (and the thousands who copy their philosophy) to first realize the damage done to the Body of Christ by resorting to the virtual "begging" of people into the Kingdom. This "giving-people-whatever-they-want-to-attend-fellowship" doesn't seem to be depopulating Hell in the least.

:-(

EDIT:
I don't have a problem with programs within a local fellowship. Programs can serve to meet the needs of the congregation and community and bind believers together in holy service. However, I do have a problem with programs if the primary motivation is simply to increase the membership numbers of the local fellowship.

2007/11/6 9:32Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

ZekeO said, 'The bible is very vague as to what the church as a collective did to encourage growth in indiviual members.'

Vague?

Acts 2v46, 'So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart'

Also,

Acts 17v11, '...in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so'

The methods they are using are unbiblical. If not, show me where they are in scripture, where Jesus or the apostle surveyed people to ask their opinion about the church or anything.

They are also heretical because they teach another gospel.

Do I have to quote Galatians 1v8-9?

God bless.

2007/11/6 9:59Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

"Directly or indirectly, this philosophy of ministry—church should be a big box with programs for people at every level of spiritual maturity to consume and engage—has impacted every evangelical church in the country."

[b]This philosophy of ministry[/b]? As Christians we are to have a "theology" of ministry and never a "philosophy" of ministry. Apostate churches and movements are marked by using philosophy (leaning on their own understanding) rather than theology (trusting the Lord with all their hearts). Philosophy is man's best thinking; theology is God's revealed wisdom!

"The methods they are using are unbiblical." Amen!

Grace and peace
Olan

2007/11/6 10:41Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
ZekeO said, 'The bible is very vague as to what the church as a collective did to encourage growth in indiviual members.'

Vague?

Acts 2v46, 'So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart'

Also,

Acts 17v11, '...in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so'

The methods they are using are unbiblical. If not, show me where they are in scripture, where Jesus or the apostle surveyed people to ask their opinion about the church or anything.

They are also heretical because they teach another gospel.

Do I have to quote Galatians 1v8-9?

God bless.

I have read your post.

2007/11/6 11:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy