SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus a friend to sinners?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Jesus a friend to sinners?

A sermon I heard today, was titled Jesus a friend to the sinner. Does Jesus actually claim that He is a friend to the sinner? Or does He just repeat what the Pharisee's have been saying: "A friend of tax collectors and a friend to sinners."

Come to Jesus because you did some bad things and your sorry for them, make Him your best friend and savior. Let Jesus come into your life so when you die you won't go to hell?

Now the day was special because it was called Friend Day at the church, where you invite people who don't have a church home you might know.

Does this send the wrong message?

Blessing

2007/11/4 16:21

Re: Jesus a friend to sinners?

Hi brother. I rarely post to these type threads, but I was just thinking - if I didn't see Jesus as my friend, I would have never counted the cost and gave up all to follow Him.

For God so loved the world that ....

While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ...

He was/is a friend to the sinners. If they didn't eventually come to Him, well - when they die, they'll realize Who and what they turned away.

I don't think we need to make God look like anything other than what His Word says - Someone Who Loves the world. That's a friend.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Jesus did ask them to count the cost though, but John 3:16 - He loves the whole world, so that's "a friend".

If you want to be a friend to me and help me, but I push you away - have you ceased to desire to be my friend ?

Only a friend would constantly be there reaching His Hand out to people.
What they decide to do with His offer, doesn't remove His outreached Hand --- until death finally seperates them forever.
They made that choice - not Him.
They refuse to be with Him - He doesn't refuse anyone who calls unto Him.

Now you see why I don't normally answer these type questions. :-?

2007/11/4 17:10

Re:

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
Hi brother. I rarely post to these type threads, but I was just thinking - if I didn't see Jesus as my friend, I would have never counted the cost and gave up all to follow Him.

For God so loved the world that ....

While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ...

He was/is a friend to the sinners. If they didn't eventually come to Him, well - when they die, they'll realize Who and what they turned away.

I don't think we need to make God look like anything other than what His Word says - Someone Who Loves the world. That's a friend.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Jesus did ask them to count the cost though, but John 3:16 - He loves the whole world, so that's "a friend".

If you want to be a friend to me and help me, but I push you away - have you ceased to desire to be my friend ?

Only a friend would constantly be there reaching His Hand out to people.
What they decide to do with His offer, doesn't remove His outreached Hand --- until death finally seperates them forever.
They made that choice - not Him.
They refuse to be with Him - He doesn't refuse anyone who calls unto Him.

Now you see why I don't normally answer these type questions. :-?

Yes I do agree with you that Jesus is a friend to sinners. John 15 calls them friends. John 15,16, and 17 are beautifully representing the Love Christ has for them.

Does not the wrath of God remain on those who don't turn from their ways or doesn't God refer to them as an enemy? God choose whom He choose according to John 15, I choose you, you didn't choose me.

Christ is my friend, and what a wonderful truth that is...it amazes the mind. To know that the Creator of ALL things call me a friend...WOW!!! What a thought to take to your prayer closet!!

Don't miss understand me, Jesus is our friend, but to tell the non believers that He will be your best friend is a wrong thing to do. Most people have many friends, but they don't have a savior. I am just saying it can be a potential hazard to someone , if they don't hear about sin.

I believe God is longsuffering, but I do think that His patience will run out. He initiates all things He draws those to Himself.

I appreciate your response regardless that you don;t like these types of threads. I am sorry I don't see why you don't like these types of questions.

2007/11/4 17:45

Re:

Hi brother. Thank you for accepting my reply as you have.
It's not that I don't like these type threads, it's just that I fear that maybe opinions will differ and then it will take off into something of a debate, which I can't handle.
I'm a member of a Reformed Theology Church - but they accepted me in as a member despite that I'm not Reformed. I love that. That's how we should all get along on this issue. I love my Church and wouldn't trade it for another and they treat me so great, that I wonder what I did before I found them. Hey, and I'm penecostal too and they know that also. Isn't GOD good.
They preach Holiness and that's what made me go there. It's a Presbyterian Church in America - PCA. Isn't that something? I think it's wonderful myself. I'm still like the early AOG Church, with my beliefs, yet here I am, happy as a lark at a PCA Church.
But I think a Church is only as good as it's Pastor. This man is great and very spirit led.
Anyhow, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I just get a bit timid that my answer may cause a ruckus and I don't think this is one of those subjects to split over or debate. Not with all the Authors we have here on this Site.
I was looking at your site just after I posted and before yours. Praise God!
Thank you!

2007/11/4 18:13

Re:

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
Hi brother. Thank you for accepting my reply as you have.
It's not that I don't like these type threads, it's just that I fear that maybe opinions will differ and then it will take off into something of a debate, which I can't handle.
I'm a member of a Reformed Theology Church - but they accepted me in as a member despite that I'm not Reformed. I love that. That's how we should all get along on this issue. I love my Church and wouldn't trade it for another and they treat me so great, that I wonder what I did before I found them. Hey, and I'm penecostal too and they know that also. Isn't GOD good.
They preach Holiness and that's what made me go there. It's a Presbyterian Church in America - PCA. Isn't that something? I think it's wonderful myself. I'm still like the early AOG Church, with my beliefs, yet here I am, happy as a lark at a PCA Church.
But I think a Church is only as good as it's Pastor. This man is great and very spirit led.
Anyhow, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I just get a bit timid that my answer may cause a ruckus and I don't think this is one of those subjects to split over or debate. Not with all the Authors we have here on this Site.
I was looking at your site just after I posted and before yours. Praise God!
Thank you!

I rejoice that you found a church home that is feeding you and in turn you are feeding as well. I understand that threads can sometimes go off subject, I have learned this many times, I appreciate your wisdom and gentleness in your comment. It is sad that we have to be excited that we are accepted in some churches. It should never be that way.

I get hurt and grieved when I hear a watered down messages, only because I have been under for many years and long for the Glory of Chris to be manifested to the church. He died for us and we should throw ourselves to Him as a reward for His great Mercy and sacrifice. I thank God that He choose me...to know Him and to give me the right to call Him a friend. But, I wouldn't have know Him as a friend unless He drew me to Himself..

brother I am glad to have chatted with you and I am joyful for you that you have such a wonderful church home. You have refreshed my soul with your kind words. May the Lord bless and enrich you with Him!!AMEN

WIth Love
Mike

2007/11/4 19:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy