Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Golden Compass

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

The Golden Compass

[url=http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp]The Golden Compass - On Snopes[/url] Google search this as well.

Quote:
THE GOLDEN COMPASS, a new movie targeted at children, will be released

December 7, 2007. This movie is based on a the first book of a trilogy by
atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy and girl kill God so they
can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when
he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about killing God."

The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed to be
very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their children to
see the movie and that the children will want the books for Christmas.

The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Kevin Bacon, and
Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it is crucial
that we get the word out to warn parents to avoid this movie.

This movie has children killng God. The offical website has characters called "Daemons" Depicts castration and female circumcision.

I would like to ask everyone to pray for protection for the unsuspecting families that are going to go see this movie on December 7th and after. We would also like to ask for pray for the children who see this movie, thinking that it is a Christmas movie, unknowingly tricked into watching this.

Currently it is not rated, but from the feels of it, it will be rated G.

Christiaan

2007/11/1 23:58Profile
jordanamo

Re: The Golden Compass

I've just got Pullman's trilogy, His Dark Materials (which Golden Compass is part 1) a few weeks ago in the mail and I am planning on reading it. I've heard Rowan Williams (Archbishop of Canterbury) praise it and I respect him much, so I am going to find out what all the fuss is over. Most of the criticism from what I have read seems misguided. As long as Pullman is killing the God in his novel and not the God of Christianity, I am fine with that. I'll post a review of my thoughts of it when I finish it.

Jordan

2007/11/3 14:30Profile
mercyme

Indiana

Re: The Golden Compass

I for one will not watch it and hte Lord already layed on my heart to picket it if it comes to my little town. I pray that my grandchildren will not go. We need to all be in prayer about to go to our prayer closests... I read that the guy who wrote this a athesit (does not believe in God)... That sums it up for me....

in His service,
debbi

2007/11/3 16:05Profile
swsojourner

Re:

Jordan,

here's a review from some years ago by CRI

[url=http://www.equip.org/site/c.muI1LaMNJrE/b.2730421/k.B701/DK120.htm]Killing God: the propaganda of his dark materials[/url]

The shame about this is it seems to be only Catholics protesting it at this point..although critics are decrying the removing of the anti-Christian themes in the movie to make it more palatable to Americans (rolls eyes)

I sure do hope this fad of atheism in Britain doesn't become a fad in the States, but I really do see the groundwork being laid for it in the States. :(

2007/11/3 16:55Profile
roadsign

Re:

Could some of the descriptions in the initial post simply be included under the word, "ungodly"? (I admit, my spirit was disturbed.) I don't think we are called to spend too much time meditating on the bad things of the world. We need to guard our heart and spirit, keep them pure and tender so that we can receive the still quiet voice of the Lord.

"Whatsoever is true...... noble...... right....... pure.... lovely... and admirable... think on these things." Phi. 4: 8

2007/11/3 17:02Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

If he's an atheist, then what should Christians be doing reading or watching his material?

"And try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them." - Eph. 5:10-11 (ESV)

Jordan

2007/11/3 17:11Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
If he's an atheist, then what should Christians be doing reading or watching his material?

Jordan

Look into the implications of that... you're saying we are not to read anything atheists put out, just because they're atheists? Hate to say it, but that is blatant prejudice. It is anti-intellectual-- allowing no room for proper dialogue between them.

I empathize with atheists. For I am an atheist. I reject theism (god[s]) and put my faith in the living crucified God of Jesus Christ. The first Christians you will find were actually called atheists by pagans for this reason.

Most atheists reject the "nanny God"-- the God that is a reflection of our own selves-- the God that the Religious Right has promulgated which has his seal of approval over wars etc. (The Constantinian God with the flag draped over the cross)-- not the true God found in Jesus Christ.

Jordan

2007/11/3 17:37Profile
swsojourner

Re:

"Paganism was the biggest thing in the world, Christianity was bigger, and everything since then has been comparatively small." -- G.K. Chesterton

:)

2007/11/3 18:40Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

jordanamo wrote:
Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:

Jordan

Look into the implications of that... you're saying we are not to read anything atheists put out, just because they're atheists? Hate to say it, but that is blatant prejudice. It is anti-intellectual-- allowing no room for proper dialogue between them.

I empathize with atheists. For I am an atheist. I reject theism (god[s]) and put my faith in the living crucified God of Jesus Christ. The first Christians you will find were actually called atheists by pagans for this reason.

Most atheists reject the "nanny God"-- the God that is a reflection of our own selves-- the God that the Religious Right has promulgated which has his seal of approval over wars etc. (The Constantinian God with the flag draped over the cross)-- not the true God found in Jesus Christ.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I don't think it's "anti-intellectual" not to read the junk of the world so I can see what it's all about or so I can combat it more effectively. If we know the Word like we're supposed to and are lead by the Spirit we won't need to read (watch or listen to) the world's things to be able to show it's false.

Jordan

2007/11/3 19:55Profile
mercyme

Indiana

Re:

I witness to atheists when the Lord opens the door. I will witness of Jesus to anyone whom the Lord puts in my path.. But, when it comes to watching a movie about killing God and written by a atheist then I will have no part.

As it is stated in scripture do not know where exactly it is at, but it goes like; "what does light have in common with darkness,"

debbi

2007/11/3 23:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy