SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Maine school to offer birth control to 11 yr olds w/o permission...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Maine school to offer birth control to 11 yr olds w/o permission...

[b]Maine school to offer contraceptives [/b]
Associated Press
Wire Story
18 October 2007

PORTLAND, Maine - After an outbreak of pregnancies among middle school girls, education officials in this city have decided to allow allow one school's health center to make birth control pills available to girls as young as 11.

King Middle School will become the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available, including birth control pills, patches and condoms. There are no national figures on how many middle schools provide such services. Most middle schoolers range in age from 11 to 13.

"It's very rare that middle schools do this," said Divya Mohan, a spokeswoman for the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care.

Portland's three middle schools reported 17 pregnancies during the last four years, not counting miscarriages or terminated pregnancies that weren't reported to the school nurse.

The Portland School Committee approved the plan, offered by city health officials, on a 7-2 vote Wednesday night. Whether the prescriptions would be offered this school year or next wasn't immediately clear.

King is the only one of the three schools with a health center, primarily because it has more students who get free or reduced-price lunch, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland's student health centers.

Five of the 134 students who visited King's health center during the 2006-07 school year reported having sexual intercourse, said Amanda Rowe, lead nurse in Portland's school health centers.

Committee member Sarah Thompson, also the mother of a King eighth-grader, supported the policy, even though it made her "uncomfortable."

"I know I've done my job as a parent," Thompson said. "(But there) may be a time when she doesn't feel comfortable coming to me... (and) not all these kids have a strong parental advocate at home."

Chairman John Coyne opposed the change, saying the roles of social agencies and public schools have blurred over the years. "At some point there needs to be a clearing of the gray lines," he said.

The other "no" vote Wednesday night came from Ben Meiklejohn, who said a parental consent form, which allows students to receive any kind of treatment at the school health center, does not clearly define the services being offered.

Some opponents cited religious and health objections.

"We are dealing with children," said Diane Miller, a former school nurse said. "I am just horrified at the suggestion."

Another opponent, Peter Doyle, said he felt the proposal violated the rights of parents and puts students at risk of cancer because of hormones in the pill.

Supporters said a small number of students at King are sexually active, but they need better access to birth control.

"This isn't encouraging kids to have sex. This is about the kids who are engaging in sexually activity," Richard Veilleux said.

Condoms have been available since 2000 at King's health center. While students need parental permission to be treated there, the treatment itself is confidential under state law.

At King, birth control prescriptions will be given after a student undergoes a physical exam by a physician or nurse practitioner, Belanger.

Nationally, about one-fourth of student health centers that serve at least one grade of adolescents 11 and older dispense some form of contraception, said Mohan, whose Washington-based organization represents more than 1,700 school-based centers nationwide.

A high school in Topeka, Kan., stopped providing free condoms to students Wednesday after district officials learned of the month-old program. The district has a policy against providing contraceptives.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071018/ap_on_re_us/middle_school_contraceptives_6]CLICK HERE[/url] to read full article.
or
[url=http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=49750&cl=4575364&ch=68276&src=news]CLICK HERE[/url] or [url=http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=4573553&src=news]HERE[/url] to view videos.

:-(

2007/10/18 10:36Profile

Re: Maine school to offer birth control to 11 yr olds w/o permission...

I have noticed lately that alot of the attacks today on the church are directed towards our children and we need to pay close attention. Be prepared in case you have to homeschool them!

2007/10/18 10:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Maine school to offer birth control to 11 yr olds w/o permission...

This is dumber then dumb! I am at a loss of words to describe my disgust at this .... UUUUUGGGGHHHHH!

And who will benefit? Planned Parenthood, that's who! and you know how? Kids this age are the most irresponcible creatures on this planet to take the pill as prescribed which will put them at risk for a pregnancy. Then what will the medical folks say? Have an abortion! Unwanted pregnancy aside, what about STD's? Or, how about the spiritual, emotional repercussions?!!! To tell you the truth these spineless wretches must have rocks in their heads...or maybe....oh dear, I am getting to be politically uncorrect and maybe SI incorrect...

Too bad Jesus did not commission his followers to apply some mill stone therapy!

Now maybe I will simmer down and be good! :-x

ginnyrose

2007/10/18 19:38Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Besides all the obvious spiritual, ethical, etc. problems at stake here, there is a huge medical issue. OCs have all kinds of side effects and drug-drug interactions. If parents don't know their kids are on the stuff and something goes wrong, or they get an unrelated problem and their doctor has to prescribe drugs that interact negatively with OCs, the kid can have all kinds of complications that no one will be able to fix b/c she won't tell the doctor or mom and dad. What are we coming to?

2007/10/18 20:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
If parents don't know their kids are on the stuff and something goes wrong, or they get an unrelated problem and their doctor has to prescribe drugs that interact negatively with OCs, the kid can have all kinds of complications that no one will be able to fix b/c she won't tell the doctor or mom and dad.

Ya reckon that when/if this happens the parents will be able to sue the docs/pharmaceutical companies for malpractice or will there be an exemption clause somewhere protecting them from litigation? On the other hand, I am sure there would be some lawyer in Mississippi that could could worm his way around that - if he sees there is money to be gotten somewhere. :-o

ginnyrose

2007/10/19 12:38Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I watched and [url=http://wcbstv.com/local/wellness.fair.gay.2.392825.html]read an article[/url] this morning that described how explicit sex education pamplets are being distributed by a Middle School -- with kids as young as 11 years old. Some of the pamplets contain graphic sexual images, language, and suggestions -- including how to have "safe and fun" homosexual sex.

Some of the parents were outraged -- but the school officials just seemed to shrug their shoulders. I [u]hope[/u] that a lawsuit is filed! It is disgusting that a school will go so far out of its way to avoid using a reference to the name "Jesus" -- but will hand out pamplets showing children how to have "safe homosexual sex."

:-(

2007/10/19 14:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

After this behaviour becomes acceptable to the average American, what other vice will they try to impose upon the citizens of this country? Ya reckon it will be to decriminalize rape, incest? And who will get the short end of this stick? It will be innocent women and children. Then after this, what will be on their agenda? My poor little brain just cannot fathom the evil people love to do push onto others. Hey, people already are committing all kinds of vile things - what is the point?

According to the news reports I heard today, I think they said last year this health clinic saw 134 (?) students and only five of them were sexually active. Listen: five out of 134! Can nobody do their math? Are they not wanting to get more kids active so they can [eventually] sell abortions? Or, is it they want to sell meds which have not been proved to be safe? all for financial gain...and there are stupid adults buying into this whole mess of depravity.

Like Janet Parshall said on her show today: "makes me so mad I could bite nails" or something like that. Me, too.

ginnyrose

2007/10/19 17:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy