SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Invisible Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

The Invisible Church

The following exerpt is taken from Calvin's Institutes of the Chrisitan Religion I trust that it will encourage you as it has encouraged me.
-------------------

... the Church may exist without any apparent form, and, moreover, that the form is not ascertained by that external splendour which they [the church of Rome] foolishly admire, but by a very different mark, namely, by the pure preaching of the word of God, and the due administration of the sacraments. They make an outcry whenever the Church cannot be pointed to with the finger. But how oft was it the fate of the Church among the Jews to be so defaced that no comeliness appeared? What do we suppose to have been the splendid form when Elijah complained that he was left alone? (1 Kings 19:14). How long after the advent of Christ did it lie hid without form? How often since has it been so oppressed by wars, seditions, and heresies, that it was nowhere seen in splendour? Had they lived at that time, would they have believed there was any Church?

But Elijah learned that there remained seven thousand men who had not bowed the knee to Baal; nor ought we to doubt that Christ has always reigned on earth ever since he ascended to heaven. Had the faithful at that time required some discernible form, must they not have forthwith given way to despondency?

And, indeed, Hilary accounted it a very great fault in his day, that men were so possessed with a foolish admiration of Episcopal dignity as not to perceive the deadly hydra lurking under that mask. His words are (Cont. Auxentium), "One advice I give: Beware of Antichrist; for, unhappily, a love of walls has seized you; unhappily, the Church of God which you venerate exists in houses and buildings; unhappily, under these you find the name of peace. Is it doubtful that in these Antichrist will have his seat? Safer to me are mountains, and woods, and lakes, and dungeons, and whirlpools; since in these prophets, dwelling or immersed, did prophesy."

….. Let us rather reverently admit, that as God alone knows who are his, so he may sometimes withdraw the external manifestation of his Church from the view of men.

written by John Calvin

2007/10/17 8:03Profile
roadsign

Re: The Invisible Church - are you called there

Last night I was feeling overwhelmed and dragged down by all the bad stuff going on in the institutional church of our day. I wondered if I should take some time out from SI, just to get away from the barrage of information and references to all the troubles and sins out there, and be alone with the Lord - to be strengthened in him.

I asked the Lord for a word from him. This morning he led me to Calvin’s book, and there, low and behold, were the encouraging words about the invisible church. Then I opened my e-box and found the following email article - an ideal match for Calvin’s words. Both articles remind me that we need to value what is not so obvious - including a "not-so-obvious" calling - to minister to the Lord.

Perhaps this is a word for you too.
----------------------

[url=http://www.theschoolofchrist.org/articles/place.html]A Place for the Lord [/url]
By Chip Brogden

"And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as [Jesus] sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on His head" (Mark 14:3).

Perhaps you are in a lonely place because the Lord desires to use you to establish a place in the wilderness for Him. If the Lord has impressed His Need for such a place on your heart, then declare your heart a "Bethany" place and take this up between yourself and the Lord. Give the Lord some ground to build upon. Give Him His place. Do not look for multitudes of people. It is better to have one, two, or three gathered together as the Lord's Bethany than to have hundreds or thousands of people gathered together as something other than Bethany.

Is there anyone in all the world who can truly meet for the purpose of ministering to the Lord and "waste" themselves in worship, giving no thought to their own need, but laying down their lives wholly for the Lord's satisfaction? I pray something is stirring within someone to seriously consider this before the Lord. Many are called, but few are chosen.

2007/10/17 8:22Profile

Re: The Invisible Church

roadsign, thanks for both of these excerpts.

I needed to hear them.

2007/10/17 13:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy