SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why do Christians get so down at times?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Why do Christians get so down at times?

I have noticed in my own life that I can see a correlation between the level of my joy as a believer and how much my thoughts are focused on Christ. When I start looking at myself, my performance, my level of devotion to Him, etc.. that’s when I begin to lose my joy. Everything I do and everything I am seems so inadequate. And, well, it is. That’s why I need a Saviour….because I am desperately inadequate in myself. I believe that we do well to examine ourselves to see whether we are in the faith. But if I try to do that examining myself, with my own mind, instead of letting the Holy Spirit direct that activity, it leads to discouragement and depression.

But…when I “look unto Jesus”, there is abundant joy. When I look to His work on the cross, His perfect sacrifice for me, the total cleansing by His blood, an eternal future with Him – then my thoughts are directed heavenward and away from myself. Then I am encouraged. Then my joy is renewed.

Danielle

2007/10/13 11:39Profile
Tears_of_joy

Dear Here4Him,

Check these:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19494&forum=34&6]Resurrection: A Living Personal Reality[/url]
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20065&forum=34]Thy way was in the sea[/url]

The second part of the first link speaks a lot about your question.

2007/10/13 11:58Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
When I start looking at myself, my performance, my level of devotion to Him, etc.. that’s when I begin to lose my joy. Everything I do and everything I am seems so inadequate.

Danielle, I can sure relate to this! I am realizing that I must guard myself against the perpetual onslaught of “should’s and aught-tos” – they merely make me feel substandard and guilty. I am the type that feels obligated to be top notch in every expectation, but I get exhausted just thinking about what I “aught to” be doing. To be honest, I recently got ticked off with God for not giving me more ability to do a better job of being a Christian. But then I realize that all he wants is me, not a grand processional of successes.

You just gotta shut out those other voices and fix your eyes on Jesus!

“Set your mind on things above.” - ie, Christ! Col. 3:2

2007/10/13 18:03Profile
Talkn2u

I have been listening for the past couple of days to a sermon by Zac Pooen but it was sent to me, and I don't know the Title of the sermon,or what page it is on.
He starts off saying that he realized at one point that he was not living what he proclaimed...and he told God that he would rather just quit ministering, than be a hypocrite.

He said we are to be Joyful always, and if we are only joyful 6 days out of the week, we are not in obedience to the Word.

He spoke about sins that the world would not consider to be sins: selfishness, pride, impure thoughts etc....

It is an excellent sermon in that I was "awakened" to the Truth that we are not in obedience when we are not walking in joy.
He said that it doesn't mean that we will always go around with a big "Colgate" smile; but the inward part of our being should "always" be full of Joy, if we truly are followers of Christ.

SID4068 is all I have regarding how to locate his sermon...

2007/10/14 23:49Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:
I have been listening for the past couple of days to a sermon by Zac Pooen but it was sent to me, and I don't know the Title of the sermon,or what page it is on.

The sermon you referenced is here

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4272&commentView=itemComments]Reality in the Christian Life[/url]

2007/10/15 5:52Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Quote:
But…when I “look unto Jesus”, there is abundant joy. When I look to His work on the cross, His perfect sacrifice for me, the total cleansing by His blood, an eternal future with Him – then my thoughts are directed heavenward and away from myself. Then I am encouraged. Then my joy is renewed.

'BrokenOne' thank you for this reminder. I know that truth in my head, but so often forget to practise it, i constantly needed to be reminded of that one thing- to look much to Christ!

I have been doing more of that this weekend and it has brought joy back again. It's just when i do fail Him big time again, its so hard to not get down and to not doubt your salvation.

I can't wait till that day in heaven when we will be saved to sin no more! But for the now we must press on, seeking the holiness that only comes through knowing Jesus, and if we fail, get up and carry on- oh how many times i myself need to hear this message!

2007/10/15 5:59Profile
Talkn2u

Re:

Thank you Danielleeeee, for finding that sermon.

I am listening to it again. I think it is excellent.
Have you listened to it?

B.

2007/10/15 6:10Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

I listened to it several months ago. It touched on exactly what God had begun dealing with me about – the need for reality in our lives as Christians. There seems to be this unwritten rule that you go to church and act like everything is fine and you are always at the utmost peak of spirituality. I call it “putting on the church face”. And I was so tired of it. And I think when I got to the point where I was no longer willing to keep up appearances, the Lord began to make some changes. This message, along with some stuff by Art Katz, have been powerfully used by God in that process.

2007/10/15 20:43Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

The "church face" is because so many people have what Martin Luther termed "a theology of glory", in other words they think the Christian life is all about blessing, and victory, and prosperity.

The Bible teaches a theology of the Cross, and a life of suffering, setbacks, fears, doubts etc.

I have found that in the modern day church, a majority of people do not really care how a person is doing if the answer goes beyond, "I'm fine" and sadly more people have to put on the fake smile, and internalize the trials rather than be honest, because they think or feel as if they are the only ones in the church who cannot get it together, meanwhile everyone else is doing the same thing.

The book of Psalms knows no such language. Here you will find some of the most wondrous cries of anger, and despair ever uttered, and yet they were uttered by saved people!!! It kind of ruins the Heaven now type of thinking, but does a wonderful job of putting our focus back upon the center of it all- Christ Jesus Himself.

Christ is to be found in the Word being preached and the sacraments(baptism, Lord's supper), not only within me. For within me there will always be a "dark mirror" that clouds over any image of Christ. However I am shown Christ as He truly is in the Word, and I am reminded of His body and blood through the Lord's Supper and thereby encouraged, and uplifted.

2007/10/15 21:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy