SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Rebuke to the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

BenK said

Quote:
I've watched videos of street preachers and was initially warmed by their zeal, but, [i]I've seen a couple videos of you Jesse, screaming at unbelievers and calling them "Pharisees" engaging in name calling such as calling homosexuals "sissys" and the like.[/i] I've be thinking, is this something I should be doing?(street preaching)

Jesse, I've not seen your videos, but if this is true - if you're attacking sinners' character and calling them names - you need to re-examine what "Jesus" you serve... one's a lamb, and the other's a dragon wearing lambskins...

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (MATT 7:22-23)

2007/10/13 13:11
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I've be thinking, is this something I should be doing?(street preaching)

Are you questioning some of Jesse's methods or street preaching altogether?

2007/10/13 13:24Profile
BenK

Harrisburg PA

Re:

No, I'm not questioning if street preaching is right, I think it can be valuable. I just haven't seen alot of people doing it in a humble, gentle spirit. I do feel a pull towards this kind of thing, I only pray that if I do this, God will give me the words and that the whole weight of conviction and the gospel will flow from the Spirit.

Proverbs 25:15
Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.

2007/10/13 15:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
I've watched videos of street preachers and was initially warmed by their zeal, but, I've seen a couple videos of you Jesse, screaming at unbelievers and calling them "Pharisees" engaging in name calling such as calling homosexuals "sissys" and the like. I've be thinking, is this something I should be doing?(street preaching)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse, I've not seen your videos, but if this is true - if you're attacking sinners' character and calling them names - you need to re-examine what "Jesus" you serve... one's a lamb, and the other's a dragon wearing lambskins...

I have almost 200 videos on YouTube that anyone can watch at anytime. You can make up your own mind. You can search for "Open Air Outreach Jesse Morrell" and they will come up. Some of the videos are a year old and I have improved since then.

The quote says that there were only "a couple" videos which were not liked. I'm not sure which "couple" that is refering to. There are almost 200 of them. But I am glad that there were only a "couple" which were not liked.

However, you will not find a single video where I "scream at sinners". I may raise my voice when large crowds gather. I may even "dispute" with sinners as Paul did. But I don't scream at sinners. Ever.

As far as calling people "Pharisees" that is only towards professing Christians, who also profess to living hypocritical lives.

And as far as the term "sissy". I only use that word to explain what "effeminate" means in 1Corithians 6:9-10. I don't go around and tell people "your a sissy". But when I read 1Corinthians 6:9-10 in the KJV, I explain that "effeminate" means a sissy man.

Anyways, my videos are on YouTube for all to watch and judge.

Also keep in mind that it is far easier to find the flaws and faults of those who are trying to do it, then to actually do it themselves. If anyone has a better way, please feel free to show me by your example.

2007/10/14 1:15
BenK

Harrisburg PA

Re:

Maybe "scream" was too harsh of a word and for that I apologize. I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to watch all your videos but let me rephrase a couple things

-In the video I saw, the man you were "yelling" at and calling a pharisee was someone who was disputing your claims that you "don't sin anymore" and that if you do sin,you are not a christian. I don't want to attack your belief that you are sinless and never sin, for all I know, you have achieved that somehow. I guess I just don't agree with that whole doctrine.

Maybe you feel like the ends(conviction) justify the means. Maybe that is true. Maybe there is a place for old testament style prophets. I just don't see Paul being described in the New Testament as yelling at people and judging their whole character and lives by a confused remark or two.

2 Corinthians 10:1
By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" when away!

1 Thessalonians 2:7-8
As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you, but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.

I think that there is a time and a place for a harsh rebuke and a raised voice. I'm having a problem with the idea that anyone should just walk into a place where they don't know where anyone is at spiritually and start judging everyone that walks by who doesn't agree with all of your doctrine. I know that the gospel is offensive to the world. But that is different than "reasoning" as Paul did.

Jesse, I only raised my concerns out of a desire to see the gospel preached in a holy way. I want to apologize and ask your forgiveness that I used certain words incorrectly to accentuate the things that I'm feeling.

Your right Jesse, I don't have videos to show you about how it's supposed to be done.And I know that a few words from someone you have never met will never change your mind. I just wanted to voice my concerns to a brother in Christ who has put himself out there as an example of an ambassador of Jesus. I do appreciate your courage and self denial and I hope that God blesses your ministry and that it bears much fruit.

2007/10/14 5:30Profile
BenK

Harrisburg PA

Re:

I just read this and wanted to add:

2 Timothy 2:24-26
And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them into knowledge of the truth.

2007/10/14 6:03Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re: A Rebuke to the Church

Saints,

I have to agree with Jesse and Jim on this one. I was involved with leading a youth group at a pentecostal church I was attending. The pastor's wife was usually the one who led the group, I would fill in her absence. The kids ate snacks, watched a Rob Bell video and then played a secular board game at the end of group.

When I led the group we read the word and prayed. I remember discussing the fear of the Lord and none of them knew what I meant. These are kids that have been in the church their whole lives. When I asked them if they were going to heaven, they were all sure they were. At the end of our first meeting they weren't so sure.

It is like Paul Washer says, you can tell people how to be saved but not tell them if they are saved or not.

My point is alot of kids in these youth groups would be to ashamed to hold up a sign for Jesus. I am not saying a sign is the preferred method of evangelism, but the point really is, are we ashamed of our Lord?

The truth is most of us should not even tell people we are 'Christians' when our lives are not bearing fruit in keeping with repentance.

I like what Spurgeon said about hypocrisy. This is my paraphrase - "If a man's life is not right at home, he should go twenty miles away before speaking, stand up and then say NOTHING."

Murray

2007/10/14 8:01Profile

Re:

Quote:

murdog wrote:
Saints,

I have to agree with Jesse and Jim on this one. I was involved with leading a youth group at a pentecostal church I was attending. The pastor's wife was usually the one who led the group, I would fill in her absence. The kids ate snacks, watched a Rob Bell video and then played a secular board game at the end of group.

Do you think it's a sin to play 'secular boardgames' then?

2007/10/14 8:09
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Richard,

I guess I should have explained further. The only reason they endured watching the video is so they could play the game at the end.

Murray

2007/10/14 8:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
My point is alot of kids in these youth groups would be to ashamed to hold up a sign for Jesus. I am not saying a sign is the preferred method of evangelism, but the point really is, are we ashamed of our Lord?

You got it. We must be concerned more about the Lord, and reconciling souls, when we are of our own image or reputation. We must seek to win the world, not please the world. We must seek to make the world a friend of God, instead of making ourselves friends with the world (which is enmity against God). The world must change in order to be acceptable to a Holy God. We must not seek to change to be acceptable to a sinful world.

2007/10/14 8:26

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy