Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Not a Trivial Pursuit

[i]Note: First in a series with an end in view ...[/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Renewal, Key To Teaching[/b]

When a minister has gone with a church as far as his experience in spiritual exercise goes, he stops. Until he has a renewed experience, until his heart has broken up afresh and starts again in the divine life and Christian experience, he will not help his congregation further. He may preach sound doctrine, yet so can an unconverted minister. But, his preaching will lack that searching pungency, that practical bearing, that unction which alone will reach the spiritually-minded Christian.

It is a fact (over which the Church is groaning) that the piety of young men suffers so much during the course of their education that, when they enter the ministry, however much intellectual furniture they may possess, they are spiritual babies. They need nursing, they need to be fed. Consequently, they are unable to feed the Church of God.

If you have the Spirit of God, you must make up your mind to accept experiencing opposition, both in the church and the world.

[b]Facing Oppositions[/b]

Very likely the leading men in the Church will oppose you. There has always been opposition in the Church. It was this way when Christ was on earth. If you are far above their state of feeling, Church members will oppose you. "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 timothy 3:12). Often the elders and even the minister will oppose you if you are filled with the Spirit of God.

You must expect very frequent and agonizing conflicts with Satan. Satan has very little trouble with Christians who are not spiritual, but lukewarm, slothful, and worldly minded. These Christians do not understand what is said about spiritual conflicts. Perhaps they will smile when spiritual battles are mentioned. So the devil leaves them alone. They do not disturb him, nor he them.

But spiritual Christians, whom satan understands very well, are really injuring him, therefore he sets himself against them. Such Christians often have terrible conflicts. They have temptations that they never thought of before: blasphemous thoughts, atheism, suggestions to do deeds of wickedness, to destroy their own lives, and more. If you are spiritual, you can expect these terrible conflicts.

You will have greater conflicts within yourself than you ever dreamed of. You will sometimes find your own weaknesses making strange headway against the Spirit. "The flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh" (Galatians 5:17). Such a Christian (until wholly sanctified) is often thrown into consternation at the power of his own corruptions. Christians are often amazed and confused by the power of their own corruptions.

[b]Find Peace In Conflict[/b]

But you will have peace with God. If the Church, sinners, and the devil oppose you, there will be One with whom you will have peace. let you who are called to these trials, conflicts, and temptations, and you who groan, pray, weep, and break your hearts, remember this consideration - our peace toward God will flow like a river. You will also have peace of conscience if you are led by the Spirit. You will not be constantly goaded and tortured by a guilty conscience. Your conscience will be calm, quiet, and unruffled as a lake in summer.

If you are filled with the Spirit, you will be useful. You cannot help being useful. Even if you were sick and unable to leave your room and could see no one, you would be ten times more useful than a hundred lukewarm Christians with no spirituality.

2007/10/8 9:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Not a Trivial Pursuit

I cannot go through with this, not as I had originally intended. My attempt was to try and cause some different thinking by pulling out some 'surprises' of past even present saints by way of some Paul-like craftiness, better explained below by Matthew Henry's thoughts on the verse noted. Had planned on running a series of excerpts from a whole variety of considerations to force somewhat the issue of how easily we can take for granted others thoughts, their constructs of each other, the motivations and generally the presumptions just by the name that is attached to their words. By holding at bay for a spell the authors names so that the predetermined mindset which trigger's axiomatically whatever might be said is thwarted that just maybe it might cause a reconsideration, press home the point of how often we can jump to conclusions and recognize how easily we can be just dishonest in our dealings.

Still plan on doing so with a variety of excerpts and will later add back in 'who' said 'what', only now I am fully disclosing my intentions. Part of it is due to my failure to find and demonstrate the unending feud between 'Calvinists and Armenians' and their particular 'theologies'. Was hopeful to find something that would be common enough in spirit to show forth the over valuation that each particular construct is bent on and again without ascribing their name up front would prove out this little exercise, that we can be missing the more ultimate matters of heart and spirit. Perhaps it really is there somewhere but to just retrench back into the debate is enough to want to just wish either had ever bothered to go about things the way they have. Found it all just very grievous, the strife and commotion, the feuding and ill-will, the pitting one against another. It's important, it's not important (so goes the arguments) ... Camps and stereotypes, denominations and constructs, this verse came to mind first thing this morning;

2Ti 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

[i]they do gender strifes[/i] is what had arrested my thoughts original.

2Ti 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

[i]must not strive[/i] ...

2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

[i][b]opposing themselves[/b]?!

2Ti 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Could this be? Please understand I am not attempting to wretch this out of it's proper context but for the very life of me it is this matter of [b]strife[/b] that I just cannot get around and is a continual, never ending grievance spiritually. Seem to recall that this is a dominant theme throughout the epistles and oft mentioned throughout scripture, but predominantly with the Lords coming and all that followed afterward. It is the warring of the saints, the in-fighting, the great and grand overlooking of just so much piercing, spiritual heart truth to be expensed by these other 'holdings' whatever their names that somehow finds a justification for overlooking .... the [i]fuel[/i] that needs but the smallest spark to ...

Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

I will carry on with some excerpts from a variety, (and later fill in the names) that which is what makes SermonIndex I believe somewhat unique, certainly not alone or exclusive. It represents a challenge to predetermined thinking, a 'have you considered?' presentation just for consideration. But there is very much a press here to ultimate thinking and by that spiritual ... demands, [i]truth in the inward parts[/i]. For all that is wrong with the church and there is much no doubt, it is difficult not to wonder if the greater issue really does boil down to the wrong fuel that is generating so much confusion, ill-will, strife, quarreling, commotion and sinister accusation, one against another.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

A commandment!

2007/10/9 10:09Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[i]But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.[/i]

[b]2Co 12:11-21 -[/b]
In these verses the apostle addresses himself to the Corinthians two ways: -

I. He blames them for what was faulty in them; namely, that they had not stood up in his defence as they ought to have done, and so made it the more needful for him to insist so much on his own vindication. They in manner compelled him to commend himself, who ought to have been commended of them 2Co_12:11. And had they, or some among them, not failed on their part, it would have been less needful for him to have said so much on his own behalf. He tells them further that they in particular had good reason to speak well of him, as being in nothing behind the very chief apostles, because he had given them full proof and evidence of his apostleship; for the signs of an apostle were wrought among them in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.

Note, 1. It is a debt we owe to good men to stand up in the defence of their reputation; and we are under special obligations to those we have received benefit by, especially spiritual benefit, to own them as instruments in God's hand of good to us, and to vindicate them when they are calumniated by others.

2. How much soever we are, or ought to be, esteemed by others, we ought always to think humbly of ourselves. See an example of this in this great apostle, who thought himself to be nothing, though in truth he was not behind the greatest apostles - so far was he from seeking praise from men, though he tells them their duty to vindicate his reputation - so far was he from applauding himself, when he was forced to insist upon his own necessary self-defence.

II. He gives a large account of his behaviour and kind intentions towards them, in which we may observe the character of a faithful minister of the gospel.

1. He was not willing to be burdensome to them, nor did he seek theirs, but them. He says (2Co_12:13) he had not been burdensome to them, for the time past, and tells them (2Co_12:14) he would not be burdensome to them for the time to come, when he should come to them. He spared their purses, and did not covet their money: I seek not yours but you. He sought not to enrich himself, but to save their souls: he did not desire to make a property of them to himself, but to gain them over to Christ, whose servant he was. Note, Those who aim at clothing themselves with the fleece of the flock, and take no care of the sheep, are hirelings, and not good shepherds.

2. He would gladly spend and be spent for them (2Co_12:15); that is, he was willing to take pains and to suffer loss for their good. He would spend his time, his parts, his strength, his interest, his all, to do them service; nay, so spend as to be spent, and be like a candle, which consumes itself to give light to others.

3. He did not abate in his love to them, notwithstanding their unkindness and ingratitude to him; and therefore was contented and glad to take pains with them, though the more abundantly he loved them the less he was loved, 2Co_12:15. This is applicable to other relations: if others be wanting in their duty to us it does not follow therefore that we may neglect our duty to them.

4. He was careful not only that he himself should not be burdensome, but that none he employed should. This seems to be the meaning of what we read, 2Co_12:16-18. If it should be objected by any that though he did not himself burden them, yet, being crafty, he caught them with guile, that is, he sent those among them who pillaged them, and afterwards he shared with them in the profit: “This was not so,” says the apostle; “I did not make a gain of you myself, nor by any of those whom I sent; nor did Titus, nor any others - We walked by the same spirit and in the same steps.” They all agreed in this matter to do them all the good they could, without being burdensome to them, to promote the gospel among them and make it as easy to them as possible. Or, this may be read with an interrogation, as utterly disclaiming any guile in himself and others towards them.

5. He was a man who did all things for edifying, 2Co_12:19. This was his great aim and design, to do good, to lay the foundation well, and then with care and diligence to build the superstructure.

6. He would not shrink from his duty for fear of displeasing them, though he was so careful to make himself easy to them. Therefore he was resolved to be faithful in reproving sin, though he was therein found to be such as they would not, 2Co_12:20. The apostle here mentions several sins that are too commonly found among professors of religion, and are very reprovable: debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults; and, though those who are guilty of these sins can hardly bear to be reproved for them, yet faithful ministers must not fear offending the guilty by sharp reproofs, as they are needful, in public and in private.

7. He was grieved at the apprehension that he should find scandalous sins among them not duly repented of. This, he tells them, would be the cause of great humiliation and lamentation.

Note, (1.) The falls and miscarriages of professors cannot but be a humbling consideration to a good minister; and God sometimes takes this way to humble those who might be under temptation to be lifted up: I fear lest my God will humble me among you.

(2.) We have reason to bewail those who sin and do not repent, to bewail many that have sinned, and have not repented, 2Co_12:21. If these have not, as yet, grace to mourn and lament their own case, their case is the more lamentable; and those who love God, and love them, should mourn for them.

Matthew Henry

2007/10/9 10:10Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]The Kind of Revival We Need[/b]

It is good for us to draw nigh to God in prayer. Our minds are grieved to see so little attention given to united prayer by many churches.
How can we expect a blessing if we are too idle to ask for it? How can we look for a Pentecost if we never meet with one another, in one place, to wait upon the Lord? Brethren, we shall never see much change for the better in our churches till the prayer meeting occupies a higher place in the esteem of Christians.

But now that we have come together, how shall we pray? Let us not degenerate into formality, or we shall be dead while we think we live. Let us not waiver through unbelief, or we shall pray in vain. Oh, for great faith with which to offer great prayers!

We have been mingling praise and prayer together as a delicious compound of spices, fit to be presented upon the altar of incense through Christ our Lord; may we not at this time offer some special far–reaching petition? It is suggested to me that we pray for a true and genuine revival of religion throughout the world.

[b]A Real and Lasting Revival[/b]

I am glad of any signs of life, even if they should be feverish and transient, and I am slow to judge any well–intended movement; but I am very fearful that many so–called revivals in the long run wrought more harm than good. A species of religious gambling has fascinated many men and given them a distaste for the sober business of true godliness.

But if I would nail down counterfeits on the counter, I do not therefore undervalue true gold—far from it. It is to be desired beyond measure that the Lord would send a real and lasting revival of spiritual life.

We need a work of the Holy Spirit of a supernatural kind, putting power into the preaching of the Word, inspiring all believers with heavenly energy, and solemnly affecting the hearts of the careless so that they turn to God and live. We would not be drunk with the wine of carnal excitement, but we would be filled with the Spirit. We would behold the fire descending from heaven in answer to the effectual fervent prayers of righteous men. Can we not entreat the Lord our God to make bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the people in this day of declension and vanity?

[b]Old–fashioned Doctrine[/b]

We want a revival of old–fashioned doctrine. I know not a single doctrine which is not at this hour studiously undermined by those who ought to be its defenders. There is not a truth that is precious to the soul which is not now denied by those whose profession it is to proclaim it. To me it is clear that we need a revival of old–fashioned gospel preaching like that of Whitefield and Wesley.

The Scriptures must be made the infallible foundation of all teaching; the ruin, redemption and regeneration of mankind must be set forth in unmistakable terms.

[b]Personal Godliness[/b]

Urgently do we need a revival of personal godliness. This is, indeed, the secret of church prosperity. When individuals fall from their steadfastness, the church is tossed to and fro; when personal faith is steadfast, the church abides true to her Lord.

It is upon the truly godly and spiritual that the future of religion depends in the hand of God. Oh, for more truly holy men, quickened and filled with the Holy Spirit, consecrated to the Lord and sanctified by His truth.

Brethren, we must each one live if the church is to be alive; we must live unto God if we expect to see the pleasure of the Lord prospering in our hands. Sanctified men are the salt of society and the Saviors of the race.

[b]Domestic Religion[/b]

We deeply want a revival of domestic religion. The Christian family was the bulwark of godliness in the days of the Puritans; but in these evil times hundreds of families of so–called Christians have no family worship, no restraint upon growing sons, and no wholesome instruction or discipline. How can we hope to see the kingdom of our Lord advance when His own disciples do not teach His gospel to their own children?

Oh, Christian men and women, be thorough in what you do and know and teach! Let your families be trained in the fear of God, and be yourselves “holiness unto the Lord;” so shall you stand like a rock amid the surging waves of error and ungodliness which rage around us.

[b]Vigorous, Consecrated Strength[/b]

We want also a revival of vigorous, consecrated strength. I have pleaded for true piety; I now beg for one of the highest results of it. We need saints. We need gracious minds trained to a high form of spiritual life by much converse with God in solitude.

Saints acquire nobility from their constant resort to the place where the Lord meets with them. There they also acquire that power in prayer which we so greatly need. Oh, that we had more men like John Knox, whose prayers were more terrible to Queen Mary than 10,000 men! Oh, that we had more Elijahs by whose faith the windows of heavens should be shut or opened!

This power comes not by a sudden effort; it is the outcome of a life devoted to the God of Israel! If our life is all in public, it will be a frothy, vapory ineffectual existence; but if we hold high converse with God in secret, we shall be mighty for good. He that is a prince with God will take high rank with men, after the true measure of nobility.

Beware of being a lean–to; endeavor to rest on your own walls of real faith in the Lord Jesus. May none of us fall into a mean, poverty–stricken dependence on man! We want among us believers like those solid, substantial family mansions which stand from generation to generation as landmarks of the country; no lath and plaster fabrics, but edifices solidly constructed to bear all weathers and defy time itself.

Given a host of men who are steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, the glory of God’s grace will be clearly manifested, not only in them, but in those round about them. The Lord send us a revival of consecrated strength and heavenly energy!

Preach by your hands if you cannot preach by your tongues. When our church members show the fruits of true godliness, we shall soon have inquiries for the tree which bears such a crop.

Oh, the coming together of the saints is the first part of Pentecost, and the ingathering of sinners is the second. It began with “only a prayer meeting,” but it ended with a grand baptism of thousands of converts. Oh, that the prayers of believers may act as lodestones to sinners! Oh, that every gathering of faithful men might be a lure to attract others to Jesus! May many souls fly to Him because they see others speeding in that direction.

“Lord, we turn from these poor foolish procrastinators to thyself, and we plead for them with thine all–wise and gracious spirit! Lord, turn them and they shall be turned! By their conversion, we pray that a true revival has commenced tonight! Let it spread through all our households, and then run from church to church till the whole of Christendom shall be ablaze with a heaven–descended fire!”

2007/10/10 9:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy