SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Days ARE Evil

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

61% of all home mortgages taken on by home owners last year in the state of California, are interest only loans. This enables someone who would have to pay 1800 dollars a month for a 300,000 dollar mortgage to pay only 1250 per month. However in as short as 3 years these people will have to begin paying interest and principle to satisfy lenders. When this happens the mortgage is refinanced at the going rate then.

So will these people be able to pay their mortgage? What might happen if all of these people need to sell the home all at the same time?

Our leaders are no different than those they lead. Do you see where the evidence of their hopes lies?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/6/3 16:23Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

The letters in this thread sound more political than spiritual. Of the posts I've read in this thread, some contain quotes of liberals. It is these very liberal traitors that have been used by Satan to take this country backwards for the last forty years. So, if backbiting our elected president by majority vote is where you guys are at then it must be said that many of the people that have read these posts that don't agree with you guys. In 2 Timothy 3:4 the word traitor is used. Verse 3 speaks about false accursers and this is what at least some people think of your posts. Also the word tells us not to dissemble with our lips or be talebearers.

During the early sixtys we were told that there would be no more reading the bible or prayer in school any longer. Up to that time some teachers read the bible or prayed with children at school in Pa. Some teachers told us no bible reading and no prayer was a good thing; others didn't believe it was good at all only they were't allowed to tell us why any longer. So, children like myself figured this was a good thing.

Later, during the sixtys, while in high school we were taught that abortion would make a world that all the children born would be wanted. They told us there would be no more child abuse. This was of course a lie but it made sence and we believed it.

Later in the sixties, the fifth collumn fell apart during the Viet Nam War. It was traitors like I was at that time that extended the war and caused our country to retreat. Most of our news then like today had a liberal slant to it and people like me fell for the lies.

After coming to the Lord, I had to think a lot of things through that previously I had accepted. Being involved with war was one of those things and also whether being a policeman was right. Some of my confusion was cleared up when considering a story of a woman being raped and killed ouside an appartment building with thirty or forty people not responding to her screems. God showed me that as a Christian I can't let evil go on around me and not do something about it if I possibly can.

One liberal cartoonist from our past said on his cartoon that the way to overthrow a country was to undermine its leaders. I guess that is what has been done in the last forty plus years. We have special interest liberal judges making laws instead of interpreting our laws.

A few years back there was a man nominated for the Supreme Court named Bork who apparently was against abortion. The lieing liberals said they didn't want a litmus test when they in fact had their own litmus test; don't let a person get on the Supreme Court that is against abortion. Currently, the litmus test is don't let any radical right wing fanatical Christians on the Supreme Court.

As far as the prosperity gospel and maybe other things in this thread, I agree with you guys.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/6/4 4:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Gary wrote:

Quote:
he letters in this thread sound more political than spiritual. Of the posts I've read in this thread, some contain quotes of liberals. It is these very liberal traitors that have been used by Satan to take this country backwards for the last forty years.

Prior to the period you speak of the church sought to distance itself from government. You see Abraham did not desire the country from which he once lived but he desired a heavenly country. He was a pilgrim on this earth.

Many of the articles that have been posted here speak of the times in which we live. The morals of both the leaders and the people are corrupt. The only solution is to point the people to Jesus. The focus of this thread most times seeks to identify how the powers and principalities fight to prevent the people from looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.

Many times we are distracted only to find that we have left the path in pursuit of Satan's schemes. Only love for the truth will protect the saints for the schemes of the prowling lion.

I never use the terms conservative or liberal. They are both false paths. The ancient path is the one that will seperate both the liberals and conservatives from this world.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/6/4 12:34Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Gary wrote:

Quote:
The letters in this thread sound more political than spiritual.

Upon reflection, I have gotten lazy in looking at each situation illustrated and presenting it through a Scriptural sieve.

I am sorry, Brother Gary and all who have grown weary of the relentless focus of worldly things. I will endeavor to be more thoughtful Scripturally speaking.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/6/4 14:45Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

There is a video available on this website which reports on the impact the mega-church phenomenon is having on the smaller churchs in the U.S.

This particular report cover Joel Olsteen's ministry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/#

In Christ
Jeff

2005/8/26 16:59Profile

Re: Days ARE Evil

Quote:
1st post - page 1, on this thread by rookie on 2004/5/19 12:39:24

Our lives are filled with the philosophies and hopes of this world. And unless we are like the mighty men of David who knew that their times were wicked how can we battle against the ruler of this world.

In Christ
Jeff

Wow .... Now how did I miss this thread, till just now.

Sure glad it got bumped two days ago.

I saw up to page 6 and then just could glance some more after that and because my eyes are starting to hurt now, I'll have to finish the rest another day.

On the BBC, night before last, a "new research" came out by a new Dr. Frankenstein (I call him) ... that claimed that babies (he calls them 'fetuses') up to, I think he said 21 weeks old, don't feel PAIN.

If that doesn't make you furious, then you need an cranial MRI or something.

I wrote down his name, but now can't find it.
When I do, I'll post it.

Jeff, your quote above said it all. Don't apologise for mixing your news reports with Bible.

Those "are" the signs of the times. And David's men were 'wise' to them and Jesus asked us to be "wise to them". How many times is the word "Watch" in the N.T. ?

This thread is one of the best I've seen in many moons, and I appreciate everyone that posted to it.

I hope you'll either continue it, or start a part two, but if it's O.K., I personally would like to see this one just continue, with all the same posters who I saw in the first, (I forget) how many pages.

God Bless the Watchman in the Church.

Maybe all are not called to be Watchman, but don't knock those who are, just because that's not your burden .... right ?

Love you [u]all[/u].

Annie

2005/8/28 0:22

Re:Found articles mentioned above.

Researcher Stands by Fetal Pain Findings
Review suggesting early-stage fetuses don't feel pain has triggered heated debate.
By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Aug. 24 (HealthDay News) -- A controversial new research article questioning whether early-term fetuses feel pain has triggered a heated debate on how the research might influence the flash-point realm of abortion politics.

But a neuroscientist who helped write the paper, published Wednesday, said there's no doubt about the conclusion: Humans only feel pain if they have a properly functioning brain, and fetuses in the early stages of development don't.

"The circuitry is not there," at least in the first 20 weeks, said Dr. Henry Ralston, a professor of anatomy and neuroscience at the University of California, San Francisco. "Without the connections, the sensation can't take place."

The report, a review of known research by four doctors and a researcher at UCSF, goes even further: In examining the effectiveness of giving anesthesia to a fetus for therapuetic procedures or abortion, the researchers concluded that fetal perception of pain is unlikely before the third trimester, at 29 to 30 weeks.

Other doctors disagree, however, as do anti-abortion activists who criticized the findings, which appear in the Aug. 24/31 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Dr. K. S. Anand, a pediatrician at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, told The New York Times, "There is circumstantial evidence to suggest that pain occurs in the fetus."

Anand said premature babies only 23 or 24 weeks old cry when their heels are pricked for blood tests and become conditioned to cry when someone nears their feet.

"In the first trimester, there is very likely no pain perception," Anand said. "By the second trimester, all bets are off, and I would argue that in the absence of absolute proof we should give the fetus the benefit of the doubt if we are going to call ourselves compassionate and humane physicians."

The study is also raising eyebrows, according to a Philadelphia Inquirer report, because one of its authors is the head of an abortion clinic. Her affiliation was not disclosed in the study, nor was that of the lead author, a medical student who once worked for an abortion-rights organization, the newspaper said.

The researcher, UCSF obstetrician-gynecologist Eleanor A. Drey, is medical director of the abortion clinic at San Francisco General Hospital. She told the Inquirer: "We thought it was critical to include an expert in abortion among the authors. I think my presence ... should not serve to politicize a scholarly report."

JAMA editor-in-chief Catherine D. DeAngelis told the newspaper she had been unaware of that.

"This is the first I've heard about it," she said. "We ask them to reveal any conflict of interest. I would have published" the disclosure if it had been made.

The issue of fetal pain, once fairly obscure, has taken an increasingly prominent position in the public consciousness in recent months. More than a dozen state legislatures -- including those in New York and California -- have debated whether to require doctors to tell women getting abortions about the potential pain felt by fetuses during the procedures. The proposed laws would require doctors to offer anesthesia for the fetus.

Arkansas, Georgia and Minnesota have already passed such laws.

And Congress is considering whether to require doctors to provide anesthesia to fetuses in all cases of abortion after 22 weeks of gestational age. (The new study noted that only 1.2 percent of abortions in the United States are performed at or after 21 weeks.)

Ralston said he and his colleagues launched their study, an analysis of previous research, to provide some perspective on the debate.

The researchers examined studies that looked at feelings of fetal pain before the age of 30 weeks. They found that while there hasn't been much research, the evidence suggests that fetuses aren't able to sense pain before the third trimester. They also report that "little or no" research provides guidance about the use of anesthesia on fetuses.

Advocates of anesthesia legislation have pointed to medical reports that fetuses shy away from painful stimuli, like the stick of a needle, in operations during pregnancy. Some doctors argue that infants between 20 and 30 weeks actually suffer pain more intensely than older fetuses and babies because their neural systems aren't set up to adequately process the sensations.

But Ralston said early fetal reactions are simply reflexes stemming from the spinal cord, not a matter of brain response to pain. The spinal cord develops earlier than the brain, as early as eight weeks, he said.

So when do fetuses actually start feeling pain? Ralston said it's not clear, but the lack of feeling before 20 to 22 weeks is "open and shut."

However, Dr. David A. Grimes, a former head of abortion surveillance at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who now delivers babies and also performs abortions in Chapel Hill, N.C., told the Times, "This is an unknowable question."

"All we can do in medicine is to infer," he added.

Still, he said, the new research makes a compelling case that fetuses younger than 29 weeks have no perception of pain.

(SOURCES: Henry Ralston, M.D., professor of anatomy and neuroscience, University of California, San Francisco; Aug. 24/31, 2005, Journal of the American Medical Association; Philadelphia Inquirer; The New York Times) http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=527596

[b]Minnesota Public Radio[/b]

St. Paul, Minn. — The law was a top legislative priority for the state's largest anti-abortion group, Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life. While such measures often draw a fight from abortion rights supporters, Minnesota's fetal pain measure passed with little opposition.

The new law says women seeking abortions who are more than 20 weeks pregnant must be offered anesthesia for their fetuses. In practical terms, that will not affect many cases. Only 67 of the nearly 14,000 abortions performed in Minnesota last year were at more than 20 weeks. Still, Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Line lobbyist Jackie Moen says her organization felt strongly about the provision.

"We do want people to know that these are unborn children, and they can feel pain," she said.

Moen says scientific evidence shows that by 20 weeks, all the systems are in place for a fetus to feel pain. But the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says there is no legitimate scientific information indicating that a fetus experiences pain. The organization also cautions that a higher dose of anesthesia for women undergoing the procedure puts them at greater medical risk. http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/08/01_mccalluml_fetalpain/

[b]National Right to Life article[/b]

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/fetal_pain/Proabortionlinktostudy.html

How long Oh Lord ?

2005/8/28 3:43
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Chavez warns U.S. against invasion

United States says it has no plans to invade.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez addressed businessmen in Paris Thursday.
PARIS, France (AP) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Thursday that his government is preparing for a possible U.S. invasion, and he warned that such "aggression" would send gasoline prices in the United States soaring.

The U.S. government repeated that it is not planning any such thing.

Chavez, a vocal critic of "imperialism" and the Bush administration, said he was not against the American people -- just the current government.

"We are sure that it will be very difficult for the United States to attack Venezuela," Chavez said. He said his country has eight oil refineries and 14,000 gasoline stations in the United States.

"If the United States tried to attack Venezuela by a direct invasion, forget the oil," he said during a two-hour news conference beamed live to Venezuela. "Everyday we send 1.5 million barrels to the United States."

The barrel price of crude oil could hit $150 following a U.S. attack, Chavez said. Currently New York light sweet crude oil trades around $60 a barrel.

"That's why Pat Robertson, the spiritual adviser of Mr. Bush, is calling for my assassination. That would be much cheaper than an invasion," Chavez said.

Robertson, the U.S. religious broadcaster, said in August that Chavez should be killed, then later apologized.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Chavez's suspicions were unfounded.

"I've stated many times before, the United States is prepared to work with any government in the region: left of center, center, right of center. Our issue is with states that don't govern in a democratic manner," McCormack said.

The Venezuelan leader used his news conference to trumpet what he called his "alternative" vision of a world that works for the poor rather than corporations seeking profits.

Chavez reiterated longtime claims that the United States finances his opponents, seeks his ouster and sabotages efforts to move his country forward.

"Venezuela is used to defending itself ... and fighting imperialism," Chavez said, speaking in Spanish with a French translator.

"We must be ready for an aggression," said Chavez, who previously said Venezuela is organizing an expanded military reserve and civilian defense units.

In an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp. radio aired earlier Thursday, Chavez said he had evidence to prove the U.S. government was planning an invasion.

Chavez said he believed the reason Washington was plotting an invasion was to take control of Venezuela's oil fields.

Meanwhile, Israel canceled -- under American pressure -- a lucrative deal to upgrade Venezuelan warplanes, Israel TV reported Thursday.

The report said Israel was to install its own systems in U.S.-made F-16 fighters for the Venezuelan air force, but the U.S. government forced Israel to call off the deal. No dollar figure for the deal was given.

Israeli Defense Ministry officials were not immediately available for comment.

End of Article,

How many things do you see in this article that are lies or present evil?

Here is one item>

"I've stated many times before, the United States is prepared to work with any government in the region: left of center, center, right of center. Our issue is with states that don't govern in a democratic manner," McCormack said.

In fact, the people of Venezuela actually elected Chavez by vast majority. Democracy as Plato suggested is alive and well in Venezuala. So what issue is McCormack really speaking of?

Here is another Item>

Meanwhile, Israel canceled -- under American pressure -- a lucrative deal to upgrade Venezuelan warplanes, Israel TV reported Thursday.

The report said Israel was to install its own systems in U.S.-made F-16 fighters for the Venezuelan air force, but the U.S. government forced Israel to call off the deal. No dollar figure for the deal was given.

Why in the first place is Israel selling weapons? And secondly, who sold them the weapons of mass destruction?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/21 12:11Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Voodoo practitioners scatter after Katrina

Monday, October 31, 2005; Posted: 9:25 a.m. EST (14:25 GMT)

Louisiana (AP) -- The last time Don Glossop saw his customers they were ritually burning green candles, hoping voodoo would pierce the federal bureaucracy and hasten the arrival of desperately needed relief checks.

Glossop's shop, New Orleans Mistic, has been closed since Hurricane Katrina swamped the city two months ago, and most of his clients, who practice a local variant of voodoo, have scattered across the country.

He fears that Katrina, which laid waste to entire neighborhoods and claimed hundreds of lives here, may take another casualty: New Orleans' status as the country's voodoo capital.

"As of today I would say it's pretty dead," Glossop said. "Even the tourist shops are in jeopardy. There is a chance for a huge loss here."

Voodoo has long been entrenched in New Orleans, quietly practiced in homes with altars, candles and incense to solve problems of the heart and wallet. Before the storm tore through, about 15 percent of the city's population actively practiced, according to Lisa Fannon, a tour guide, though estimates vary widely.

Voodoo is part of the vernacular here, showing up in jazz and conversation. Some residents still sprinkle red brick dust on their doorway steps to ward off evil spirits.

It's an economic draw as well, enticing curious tourists and their pocketbooks into stores such as Glossop's.

While plans are still on for an annual voodoo fest for Monday, organizer Brandi Kelley said the event will be much smaller this year because many drummers and dancers were forced to relocate.

The ceremony at her shop will focus mainly on healing the city.

"We have got to call on the ancestors for help and get real serious about it," Kelley said. "The spirit is in the city. It's the spirit of this city that is going to rise from the ashes."

If only she could find her snake for the closing ceremony. He was supposed to be in a bathtub of a friend's apartment.

"They say he's somewhere in this room full of debris," Kelley said, her voice trailing off.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. The "go away" hurricane ritual was performed in July, just as it always is at the start of the hurricane season.

"It didn't quite work out so well," acknowledged Giselle Moller, manager of Marie Laveau House of Voodoo. But, she said, it may have helped a bit.

"Imagine if the hurricane would have hit us straight on. There would have been no French Quarter," she said.

Even before Katrina, some thought voodoo was fading in New Orleans because the younger generation was less interested in the complicated practice, which involves substantial memorization of rituals and songs, Glossop said.

But New Orleans is not giving up on voodoo, notwithstanding evangelist Franklin Graham's recent comments that the city's Mardi Gras revelry and ties to voodoo were adverse to Christian beliefs.

Defenders say voodoo is a legitimate African-based religion that has been unfairly maligned in movies and popular culture.

"Voodoo is not some kind of black magic cult," said Wade Davis, a Washington-based National Geographic explorer-in-residence who has studied the religion extensively in Haiti. "It's the distillation of very profound religious ideas that came over during the tragic era of slavery."

In New Orleans, much of what is practiced these days is a system of folk magic. Some also practice Haitian voodoo.

As the city revives, proponents hope voodoo will make a comeback, too, because it's part of the intrigue that draws visitors.

"I think it's going to be a very strong part of what will get people back here," said Jameson King, who works in one of the voodoo shops in the French Quarter. "We're here for more than drinking."

Look at the evil in the high places, just like in Israel spoke of in Ezekiel, Jeremiah,and Isaiah,etc.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/31 13:28Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Things are starting to bubble to the surface about the Iraq war, the reasons for, the actions taken, and the results. Here is one example of actions taken, is this of Christ or Satan?

BBC

US 'uses incendiary arms' in Iraq
Italian state TV, Rai, has broadcast a documentary accusing the US military of using white phosphorus bombs against civilians in the Iraqi city of Falluja.

Rai says this amounts to the illegal use of chemical arms, though the bombs are considered incendiary devices.

Eyewitnesses and ex-US soldiers say the weapon was used in built-up areas in the insurgent-held city.

The US military denies this, but admits using white phosphorus bombs in Iraq to illuminate battlefields.

Washington is not a signatory of an international treaty restricting the use of white phosphorus devices.
Spontaneously flammable chemical used for battlefield illumination Contact with particles causes burning of skin and flesh
Use of incendiary weapons prohibited for attacking civilians (Protocol III of Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons)

Transmission of the documentary comes a day after the arrival of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani on a five-day official visit to Italy.

It also coincides with the first anniversary of the US-led assault on Falluja, which displaced most of the city's 300,000 population and left many of its buildings destroyed.

The documentary was shown on Rai's rolling news channel, with a warning that the some of the footage was disturbing.

The future of the 3,000-strong Italian peacekeeping contingent in Iraq is the subject of a political tug-of-war, says the BBC's David Willey in Rome.

'Destroyed evidence'

The documentary begins with formerly classified footage of the Americans using napalm bombs during the Vietnam war.

It then shows a series of photographs from Falluja of corpses with the flesh burnt off but clothes still intact - which it says is consistent with the effects of white phosphorus on humans.

Jeff Englehart, described as a former US soldier who served in Falluja, tells of how he heard orders for white phosphorus to be deployed over military radio - and saw the results.

"Burned bodies, burned women, burned children; white phosphorus kills indiscriminately... When it makes contact with skin, then it's absolutely irreversible damage, burning flesh to the bone,

Last December, the US state department issued a denial of what it called "widespread myths" about the use of illegal weapons in Falluja.

"Phosphorus shells are not outlawed. US forces have used them very sparingly in Falluja, for illumination purposes. They were fired into the air to illuminate enemy positions at night, not at enemy fighters," the US statement said.

However, the Rai film also alleges that Washington has systematically attempted to destroy filmed evidence of the alleged use of white phosphorus on civilians in Falluja.

Italian public opinion has been consistently against the war and the Rai documentary can only reinforce calls for a pullout of Italian soldiers as soon as possible, our correspondent says.

Both the Italian government and opposition leaders are talking about a phased withdrawal in 2006.

President Talabani and the US say the continued presence of multi-national forces in Iraq is essential.

2005/11/8 15:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy