SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events :  Conservatives consider 3rd-party run

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HisDaughter
Member



Joined: 2007/10/1
Posts: 24
God's preappointed dwelling place

  Conservatives consider 3rd-party run

Some of the nation's most politically influential conservative Christians, alarmed by the prospect of a Republican presidential nominee who supports abortion rights, are considering backing a third-party candidate.

More than 40 Christian conservatives attended a meeting Saturday in Salt Lake City to discuss the possibility, and planned more gatherings on how they should move forward, according to Richard A. Viguerie, the direct-mail expert and longtime conservative activist.

Rudy Giuliani, who supports abortion rights and gay rights, leads in national polls of the Republican presidential candidates. Campaigning in New Jersey on Monday, Giuliani brushed aside talk of an upstart effort by religious conservatives.

"I'm working on one party right now — the Republican Party," Giuliani said. "I believe we are reaching out very, very well to Republicans. The emphasis is on fiscal conservatism, which brings Republicans together."

Other participants in the meeting included James Dobson, founder of the Focus on the Family evangelical ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo., and, according to Viguerie, Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, a conservative policy group in Washington.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071001/ap_on_el_pr/conservatives_third_party

 2007/10/1 17:46Profile
Compton
Member



Joined: 2005/2/24
Posts: 2732


 Re: Conservatives consider 3rd-party run

This generation of Republican 'leadership' reminds me of something I heard Kissinger once said. "90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad reputation."

MC


_________________
Mike Compton

 2007/10/1 18:48Profile
dohzman
Member



Joined: 2004/10/13
Posts: 2132


 Re:

That quote is sadly funny!
I think that these Christian groups are going to bring harm to the church in the end. The organized church that is. That harm is already in the works as far as the IRS is concerned. Christianity like an awkward bird on the ground was meant to soar high above the earth below, on earth it was meant to be salt and light, not a forced drink of vinegar or some other bitter drink. I guess maybe this this is another attempt at the crusades? We will try to force feed society but we refuse to reach out to our neighbors who we can know and see and introduce to Jesus Christ. How sad.


_________________
D.Miller

 2007/10/2 0:03Profile
ginnyrose
Member



Joined: 2004/7/7
Posts: 7497
Mississippi

 Re: Conservatives consider 3rd-party run

Quote:
are considering backing a third-party candidate.



Which will then guarantee the success of the Democrat candidate. Like what happened when Perot ran, diverting votes away from George H.W. Bush in 1993, assuring a win for William Jefferson Clinton.

ginnyrose


_________________
Sandra Miller

 2007/10/2 14:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss
Member



Joined: 2003/11/23
Posts: 4529


 Re:

Hi ginnyrose...

Quote:
Quote:
are considering backing a third-party candidate.


Which will then guarantee the success of the Democrat candidate. Like what happened when Perot ran, diverting votes away from George H.W. Bush in 1993, assuring a win for William Jefferson Clinton.

Good point. Bill Clinton never achieved a majority of votes in either 1992 or 1996. He won a PLURALITY in each. Ross Perot almost singlehandedly threw the election to Clinton both times.

:-(


_________________
Christopher

 2007/10/2 16:16Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy