SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : TeenScreen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

TeenScreen

I just became more knowledgeable about the processes some schools are using to test kids' mental health. You should check out the link below and see what you think. I first became aware of the seriousness of this problem by an article in the current (Oct.) issue of "Acres USA" magazine. Here is the link it refers to. http://www.psychsearch.net/teenscreen.html

ginnyrose

2007/9/28 18:21Profile

Re: TeenScreen

[i]We thought, [b]why not go to students themselves[/b] and offer a $5 video store coupon to anyone who brings back a parental consent form... [/i]

Quote:
why not go to students themselves

Because it's unethical...?

2007/9/30 13:32
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Because it's unethical...?

Seems to me like when money is to be made, shrewd entrepreneurs will stop at nothing, ethics be trashed!

The reason they went to the students was because the parents were not giving permission for their child to be tested. But dangle a freebie before a child he will likely want it, not having the forsight of what they are setting themselves up for.

Here is another link:
http://www.onlinejournal.com/health/041805Pringle/041805pringle.html

The writer discusses the work of, Ken Kramer, an investigator for the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), a psychiatric watchdog group.

ginnyrose

2007/10/2 22:24Profile
heartablaze

Re:

From the onlinejournal website:

Quote:
The Service also reports a study of over 4,400 children . . . revealed a greater risk of suicidal behavior or thinking . . . during the first few months of treatment. The average risk was 4 percent among children receiving antidepressant drugs . . . whereas those receiving placebo had a 2 percent risk. In other words, those on antidepressants were at “twice the risk.”

This wrenches my heart!!! This is insane. I can hardly believe they would ask those kids those questions...although, taking psych right now, many in the past have done such unethical things.
Sure kids have been nervous; that's normal. Asking them behind their parent's back if they have thought of killing themselves is sick.

2007/10/2 22:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy