SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Inerrancy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Bible Inerrancy

I came across some people at another forum talking about God, the Bible, etc.

One atheist mentioned Leviticus 11:20-23 which says

All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with wich to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind. But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an abonimation to you.

his whole point is that the Bible is wrong because all insects have 6 feet, not 4...and if it is wrong in one place, it's wrong in everything.

Have any of you any idea what Leviticus is talking about? are there insects with four feet?

is there any way to dispute what he is saying?

Thanks for your input.

2007/9/26 9:45Profile
Compton

Re: Bible Inerrancy

Hi Melissa,

It's interesting that the King James says it differently...

20 All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you....

23 But all other flying creeping things, which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you.

So apparently there could be some question as to whether this passage was referring strictly to insects. Bats are flying 4 legged creeping things. So are Pterosaurs, if you are a young earther.

Perhaps an ancient writer would be likely to 'group' all small creepy flying critters according to some morphological resemblances which is contrary to our scientific sensibities informed by modern cladistics.

Just some thoughts,

MC

2007/9/26 10:08Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Thanks brother. this person is very nitpicky...and I am not the one engaged in the conversation with him. the very sad thing is that the person who is talking to him is claiming to be a Christian but also claims the Bible is not God's word, and you can pick and choose what to believe...

I don't know which one grieves my spirit more. but I know the one professing to be a Christian is doing a lot of damage to Christ with her witness (or lack thereof)

Thanks again.

2007/9/26 10:17Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

How many fingers do you have on each hand? I count 4... the thumb isn't a finger... then again some people say the pinky isn't a finger, I guess we only have 3 fingers on each hand. Do you see what I'm getting at?

2007/9/26 10:17Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Ian,
I see exactly what you mean. my intentions are not to join the conversation for battle, but just to get some knowledge from others here who may know more than I do...

2007/9/26 13:06Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Well the problem with a strictly literal interpretation of the bible is that we would all end up gouging out our eyes and cutting off our hands... athiests know that Christians don't literally interpret the bible, but they want to fight against it anyways.

Athiests take pride in making other people look stupid, they get their kicks in rubbing obscure references in others faces.

The problem with most athiests though, is they don't even know why they hate Christians so much. They think they are progressive and intelligent, but it just shows that they are narrow minded bigots themselves. The reason that they are not Christians is because the bible scares them, it tells them they are weak, it tells them they are sinful, it tells them they need someone else's help. Pride, and pride only is the major motivator for most athiests.

Athiests think they are progressive, but as far as sin Goes, they haven't left first base.

2007/9/26 15:53Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

I have to agree with all you have stated here. It really is sad, but I have to check myself when I see these conversations going on, because I get very angry about the things being said.

2007/9/26 16:15Profile

Re: Bible Inerrancy

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
I came across some people at another forum talking about God, the Bible, etc.

One atheist mentioned Leviticus 11:20-23 which says

All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with wich to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind. But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an abonimation to you.

his whole point is that the Bible is wrong because all insects have 6 feet, not 4...and if it is wrong in one place, it's wrong in everything.

Have any of you any idea what Leviticus is talking about? are there insects with four feet?

is there any way to dispute what he is saying?

Thanks for your input.

Problems stem from several different directions on this issue. The Bible is Inerrant. Many modern translations have changed the meaning of many passages. Many people are Biblical illiterate. This statement meaning they have no idea what HIS WORD says and could care less, while others have a vast knowledge of scripture but without any understanding of what it actually means. Any of those factors are dangerous and profitable to the devil and his angels. The later I believe is doing the most damage to HIS CHURCH.

2007/9/26 17:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy