SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is speaking in tongues...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Search_Me

Is speaking in tongues...

Is speaking in tongues the first initial sign of the Filling of the Holy Spirit?

I believe in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit but am not sure if speaking in Tongues is the first sign of being Filled with the Holy Spirit or not.

I have been told it is and have been told it isn't always this way.

What does the Bible say because I really am not sure.

2007/9/21 17:49Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Is speaking in tongues...

[i][b][font=Arial]Acts 2:1-4 (NKJV)[/font][/b][/i]

[b]Coming of the Holy Spirit[/b]

1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

2007/9/21 18:08Profile

Hi Search_Me,

If you go to the page where the forums are laid out in block fashion, the advanced search facility is in the lower right corner. Try putting 'tongues' in the box and choosing the Scripture and Doctrine forum. At least five threads have 'tongues' in their title.

You could also search for that word in the body of posts, and by the name of a poster you respect who may have written something on it.

Here is one: Tongues as Evidence?

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16151&forum=36]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16151&forum=36[/url]

2007/9/21 18:22

Quote:

Search_Me wrote:
Is speaking in tongues the first initial sign of the Filling of the Holy Spirit?

I believe in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit but am not sure if speaking in Tongues is the first sign of being Filled with the Holy Spirit or not.

I have been told it is and have been told it isn't always this way.

The Bible gives several instances where people were filled with the Spirit and spoke in tongues. There are instances where they also prophesied. In a sense the tongues at Pentecost were also "prophecy" because the listeners heard the disciples proclaim the wonderful works of God in their own home languages (even though they probably all understood Aramaic, the most likely language that Peter preached in, as well).

On one occasion (acts 4 I think, no time to look it up now but will later if you like) it says that the disciples spoke with boldness as a result of being filled with the Spirit (or re-filled on that occasion). No-where does it say that any of these manifestations is a fixed rule or "initial evidence", only that these things, [u]on those occasions[/u] accompanied being filled with the Spirit.

Making the sovereign operation of God into a rule that He must always follow is dictating to Him.

As mentioned before on other threads, I know one otherwise "sound and sensible" group that believes (due to a misunderstanding of Paul's teaching on the subject) that tongues are always in the form of prayer, never prophecy. If anyone in their meetings gives an interpretation in the form of a "message" the leader will stop them and insist on the "correct" interpretation. Although they do accept prophecy as well, as long as its in a known language!

But the Bible doesn't [i]say[/i] that tongues is always prayer.

We all tend to assume certain things, and not read properly what the Word is really saying.

For example the common idea that there were three wise men who visited the infant Jesus, merely because there were three kinds of gifts. Or that Israel marched around Jericho seven times.

Speaking of gifts, (more to the present topic) there is also the assumption that there are only nine spiritual gifts because one of the lists of gifts happens to consist of nine. But again Scripture doesn't say so.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/9/21 18:44

There are so many people that want to disprove this aspect of the infilling the holy Spirit. I sometimes wonder if they are afraid of it, or afraid that they would look foolish if they spoke something they don't understand, or they are trying to reason away anything that looks spiritual.

I have explained all the instances that are found in the book of Acts and each time I get the same reply, "I don't see that as being the initial evidence", so they heap to themselves teachers having itching ears saying, "Explain away the infilling the holy Ghost so we don't have to embrace it. Paul we know, Jesus we know, but this holy Ghost we don't want to know."

Your going to get all kinds of different opinions on this forum. Some wise, some bad.

My word for you is, dump the opinions and go with what you read in the book of Acts. You can't go wrong if you seek the LORD to be filled with the holy Ghost. But if you go with opinions you'll find yourself denying the experience that the folks in the book of Acts have readily received.

Quote:
Proverbs 1:20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

I hear the scorning, the rejection of the baptism of the holy Ghost. So called Christians rejecting the gifts of the Spirit, rejecting the Apostles office, the prophets, and they call themselves believers. How can I believe in a God whom I have muted? Whom I have tied His hands? I limit Him, He can't do anything as God because of my traditional beliefs. "You make void the word of God because of your traditions".

Those itching ear teachers have conjured up a doctrine that you just accept the LORD in your heart, and you automatically have the holy Spirit. If you read the book of Acts, it shows you that it's not done that way. BUT, the itching ear people don't want to believe the book of Acts.

2007/9/21 18:53

Re:

Quote:
There are so many people that want to disprove this aspect of the infilling the holy Spirit. I sometimes wonder if they are afraid of it, or afraid that they would look foolish if they spoke something they don't understand, or they are trying to reason away anything that looks spiritual.

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with [b][color=FF0000]other [/color][/b] tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

1 Corinthians 14:21
In the law it is written, With men of [b][color=FF0000]other [/color][/b] tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:22
22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1 Corinthians 12:30
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

One of the most dangerous and damaging teachings in the Church Today as well as when Paul wrote Corinthians 14, is that you must speak in tongues to prove you are saved or have received the Holy Spirit. This is a lie.

This is why Paul wrote this chapter in the first place, because of the confusion in the Church.

Remember when Paul wrote 1 Corinthians, it was to Carnal, baby Christians. It's interesting, you never hear of this subject again in 2nd Corinthians to those same Christians who Paul is now pleased have grown up.

You never see the word TONGUES mentioned again with Paul, and never with Peter, James, or John.

This prophecy Paul states in 1st Corinthians 14:21 was prophesied in the OT. They were hearing the Gospel in their own language.

The confusion about tongues is, there are two kind of tongues, one Paul refers to as his prayer language, and the other, a sign to unbelievers.

He also states it is the LEAST of all the gifts, and that we should seek rather to prophesy.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/9/21 19:14

Quote:

Search_Me wrote:

Ryan,

Your with In Christ Ministries and you don't know what the Bible says? :-D

Here's my $2.00 worth... the Bible doesn't say.

I say that because it's different for each and every person seeking. A lot of people think because it's the last mentioned of the gifts that it's the least of them all (so therefore not important at all) and/or since it's the last mentioned that it's the easiest to receive. Only God knows. I believe it's been planned that way! There is no formula because God knows how anal human beings can be and if "YOU" or "I" don't follow the formula exactly to a tee, we won't possibly be saved!! We've made a mess as it is... I couldn't image if He had stated!!

I liked what everyone wrote but I wanted to quote Compliments:

Quote:
Your going to get all kinds of different opinions on this forum. Some wise, some bad.

My word for you is, dump the opinions and go with what you read in the book of Acts. You can't go wrong if you seek the LORD to be filled with the holy Ghost. But if you go with opinions you'll find yourself denying the experience that the folks in the book of Acts have readily received.

And he is correct. Listen to some of Jackie Pullinger's [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?op=&cid=117]sermons[/url]. She tells people when she prays for them the FIRST TIME, you're going to receive the gift of tongues just go with the flow. (She said more than that but due to space limits...) But most importantly, she didn't tell them it was a difficult thing to receive and that they'd have to tarry (seek) it for months or even years!! Do you know what? They received the gift of tongues the first time.

Let me tell ya, I've prayed about that and told the Lord that I wanted to try that and I told my friend Cora a few weeks ahead of time (on the phone) that when we got together, we were going to prayer time and when she felt something bubbling up to not stop it. Guess what? The next time we prayed, she spoke in tongues!! But listen to Jackie's testimonies. They're awesome not because of "her" but because of the Lord that she submitted to. The lord has done great things in her and it's for anyone else who will obey the Spirit.

Ryan, I know this was long but remember that God doesn't have a formula written down in the Bible, it's according to our faith. We prophesy according to the propotion of our faith (Romans 12.6). It's by each person's faith and expectations. To me, this is why He said, We must come as little children.

God bless you in your walk with Him!!

2007/9/21 19:39
Search_Me

Re:

i only film dan preaching and send out some emails for in christ ministries and dan opened the ministry to holiness calvinists as well as charismatics so no one really gets into non essential issues and only sticks to things like holiness and seeking God in prayer and worship. in christ ministries has several people from several churches with us now so no one really talks about these things.dan already told me what he believes and he prays in tongues but no longer dogmatically says that it's the initial sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit because he doesn't want to be wrong on the issue. a calvinist pastor who believes in the gifts says the same thing basically that God is able to give whatever gift He Wills at the time fo someone being Filled.i think your response is pretty much what I am thinking too but i will need to pray about it more to be sure that i am not limiting God or wrong :-)

2007/9/21 19:52Profile

Re:

I'm sorry!@!!! I'm kind of paranoid because some people like to set up questions only to lambast us with their real agenda!! Forgive me my friend.

2007/9/21 19:57

Re:

Quote:

Search_Me wrote:
...dan already told me what he believes and he prays in tongues but no longer dogmatically says that it's the initial sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit because he doesn't want to be wrong on the issue. a calvinist pastor who believes in the gifts says the same thing basically that God is able to give whatever gift He Wills at the time fo someone being Filled.

i think your response is pretty much what I am thinking too but i will need to pray about it more to be sure that i am not limiting God or wrong :-)

They are all correct!! And you are correct to always pray about it first!

God is such a huge, big, omnipotent God!! He is to all what we have need of! Let me end with this.. my friend YEARS AGO had a dream, it doesn't have anything to do with tongues but it's good!!

She was at a party and everyone was so excited because Jesus was soon to arrive. And someone finally said, "Look! There's Jesus." And she said "Where?" They said, "Over there talking to Anna." My friend was so downtroddened because the Jesus she saw was punnie (sp?) and small and short. She began to be sad and walk around with her head hung. Then Jesus came up to her and said, "Hello, Sandy." He was the size of a linebacker!! She asked Him why the difference and in her dream, He said, "I am whatsoever you have need of. Anna didn't have need of a big football player, you do."

It was her dream almost 30 years ago but I've never forgotten it!

God bless you!!!

2007/9/21 20:08

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy