SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: A higher standard

Andrew James,

Yeah, I think there should be a balance with entertainment. I know what you mean though. So many nights I crave to watch a movie I can relate to rather than read more of God's Word, write in my journal to Him, pray, or just think about Him. I rather be distracted. Yeah, something to work on.

[laughs] And just a side note, what's up with guys calling girls "dude"? Just wondering. I'm not a dude by the way [laughs]. It's all good though.

2004/5/17 16:42Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Chanin, my fellow sister :-)!

I totally agree with you concerning losing a taste for entertainment when you grow in Christ and then when you go through those phases of going back to it.

Right now I'd have to say I'm in the "back to it" phase. I've found myself watching a lot of movies lately for social reasons. It is kind of sad. I'm sure I'm distracted right now, and I've been praying about it. Especially because I'm going on a mission trip to the Ukraine in June and July. It's like, when God wants to use you, you know that something's going to be right there to distract you from that, to keep you from being effective for Christ. But you know, I think it'll do me good to go to another country and get pulled out of this American culture for a time. It's easier to notice things from the outside looking in, than being in the midst of everything.

Let's hope though, that when watching movies, I never stop cringing at cussing, anything against God, or anything morally bad. I hope I will always let the Holy Spirit keep me sensitive.

2004/5/17 16:53Profile
shazbot

USA

Re:

As it was pointed out, some of these movies with some horrible, unnecessary, immoral content (Gladiator, I believe, was mentioned) have otherwise wonderful, even Christian, values in them.

What we have to decide (hopefully following the Spirit) is, [i]is the good in this movie worth the swearing/violence/sexuality[/i]?

Side note: You're going to the Ukraine? Where? I've been there on a missions trip myself, to Dnepropetrovsk. (nee-pro-peh-trovsk)

2004/5/17 17:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Let's hope though, that when watching movies, I never stop cringing at cussing, anything against God, or anything morally bad. I hope I will always let the Holy Spirit keep me sensitive.

I am not trying to be negative but rather somber on this issue. I know that you will [b]not[/b] [i]stay sensitive[/i] to the Holy Spirit if you [u]continue[/u] to subjugate yourself to things that grieve the Holy Spirit of God. Sadly I have gone through a year of hardening of my heart where I have become caloused and unsensitive to the prompting and warnings of the Holy Spirit. Beforehand I went through a season where I did not even look at the TV for 1 minute for about 6-8 months and rather spent time in Gods word and praying. I had such a sensitivity to sin that if I was in a situation that was grieving the spirit I would literally tremble and shake, It's a different shaking then I could possibly describe but I know it was God jealously guarding over his elect. yes God is jealous over us and wants us to be Holy and setapart to Him.

2004/5/17 18:22Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Being sensitive to the Spirit

Sermonindex,

Hmmm... well, I see what you're saying. I remember coming home from a youth summer camp once and being annoyed that my mom was watching Lassie. I had been away from the TV and everything for a week and I was upset that the TV was on. I didn't want to be in the same room because I felt like it was such a big distraction, so I went up to my room.

BUT, in this being sensitive to the Holy Spirit... I think we need to be careful that we don't let ourselves get separated from other Christians who are walking with the Lord because we have different convictions.

You know, I think it's like that repeated example of food being sacrificed to idols in the New Testament. There's those who were super sensitive to that and those who weren't. Did that make one person more or less of a Christian? No. Now how you act around those who are sensitive to certain things, that's different. You don't go flaunting your freedoms. Like, if I were to hang out with you, I wouldn't be like, "Hey, let's go catch a movie?" I'd probably be like, "Hey, let's just hang out and fellowship." But if I were to hang out with another Christian who invited me to go over and watch a movie with them, I would (depending what movie of course) because it doesn't bother me.

Be all things to all people to win the more, right? Paul said that somewhere, didn't he?

I do hope that I didn't offend you. I do see where you're coming from because I have been there. I have just come to a different place. I am a really extreme person most the time, but I have personally felt that I need to find a balance to all things. I have struggled with spiritual pride and not so fun stuff like that, so that's where I'm coming from with the balanced thing. I do respect your views though and thank you for your input.

2004/5/17 18:57Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Not to push my personal convictions, but I'd really advise anyone with a TV to get rid of it immediately, particularly if you have kids. I'm so thankful I'm not around a TV, it's such a time-sink, snare, and poison.

If you have some tapes or DVDs worth watching (i.e. video bible or something like that), that could be a valid use of a TV, just keep it out of the way. Otherwise, out with it.

Your decision, of course, but the vast, vast majority of things you can watch with a TV are just awful.

Edit:

Quote:
You know, I think it's like that repeated example of food being sacrificed to idols in the New Testament. There's those who were super sensitive to that and those who weren't. Did that make one person more or less of a Christian? No. Now how you act around those who are sensitive to certain things, that's different. You don't go flaunting your freedoms. Like, if I were to hang out with you, I wouldn't be like, "Hey, let's go catch a movie?" I'd probably be like, "Hey, let's just hang out and fellowship." But if I were to hang out with another Christian who invited me to go over and watch a movie with them, I would (depending what movie of course) because it doesn't bother me.

I think we should be careful when applying the passage about strong and weak brothers regarding food sacrificed to idols and such. It's clearly referring to non-moral things, things not sinful nor influencing towards sin. An informed Christian could eat food sacrificed to an idol without the slightest ill effect, since they know the idol is nothing and the food is not tainted by the sacrifice. But I don't think any Christian is immune to the sinful influence of the majority of movies out there. There's also the issue of how we should be spending our time...

I'm not dogmatic about this, I wouldn't consider someone unsaved if they liked watching movies, but I would not watch a movie with anyone willingly unless (maybe) it were clearly something edifying without any trash.

Please, everyone, be very careful what you let in through your eyes and ears, what you let into your mind. The enemy never ceases his efforts to destroy you and/or your ministry, we must never cease to be vigilant against sin.

2004/5/17 21:37Profile
shazbot

USA

Re: TV

Regarding the TV:

Food Network. It's about the only place I can find anything good.

2004/5/17 21:48Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Philippians 4:8

We watch TV about 2 hours a week. I'm not going to prescribe a rule that you should follow because that could lead to legalism. But the question we must ask ourselves, is does watching TV impact our relationship with our Lord and Savior? If it does, then let's be done with it.

Quote:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2004/5/17 21:58Profile
sdb

tucson

Re: remeber

remember, one mans Holiness is another mans legalism......When God sanctifies its Holiness--when man attempts sanctification it is legalism...the true dividing factor is Jesus Christ... 8-)

2004/5/17 22:17Profile
moreofHim

Re: t.v. and movies

We have small children and a young teen. We are at the point where we have taken our t.v. out of the family room and are getting rid of it. We have kept our t.v. in our finished basement (it's like a family room/play room/workout room) for movies and special shows.

We belong to this bible movie club for the kids so we continuously get these great bible stories in the mail (also includes some famous historical people like George Washington, etc...)

My kids used to watch cartoons or Disney channel- not anymore. The reason was because of the 'attitudes'. The kids and the cartoons always had an 'attitude' and my kids picked up on this right away. It's bad enough with their friends and school mates and neighbors.

So now the only channel we are allowed to watch is the Hallmark channel. They have Little House on the Prairie, etc... during the day and once in a while they have a wonderful family movie about horses or something. There are many days that we never turn the t.v. on and now that it's out of the living room- it's even easier to forget about it and find many others things to do.

Oh, yeah, i have to be honest here and say that once in a while Arielle and I stay up late and watch Trading Spaces (a home improvement show) while we have our 'girl time' together and talk. I know it's a good time to let her watch an ok show and I get to spend some one on one time with her too- get to know her and what she is into (like and dislikes, etc..) When they are at this age, you want all the open communication you can get! :)

I actually would get rid of the t.v. for good if the kids were not so young. I really feel they benefit from these bible movies- and we get enjoyment out of discussing them afterwards.

About the legalism issue- choosing to have or not have a t.v. is definitely one of those things that God deals with each person in his own time about.

As we mature, we obviously see less and less need or want for the t.v. But this comes with maturity and growth. We cannot impose this kind of thing on anyone. We must let the Holy Spirit work on each heart. If we encourage growth and seeking the Lord with our all, and surrender to Him- then it will come naturally in time.

2004/5/17 22:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy