SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Detroit continues to go to hell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Surely those who are disciples according to the word in the gospels will have no hobbies of the world

So it's a sin to golf?

Krispy

2007/9/13 16:43
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
So it's a sin to golf?

I will let Oswald Smith to answer that:

The fullness of the Spirit will answer all your questions and settle all your problems about worldly amusements. Never again will you have to ask, "Is it right to go here? Is it wrong to go there? May I attend the theatre? What harm is there in the dance? May I play cards?" You will be so filled with Him that you will not want the world. It will be the expulsive power of a new affection. The new will expel the old. You will find you greatest delight in God's service, and you will discover that you are miserable and unhappy in the world.
-Oswald Smith (The Enduement of Power)

2007/9/13 16:50Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Notice I said "hobbies", not a once a while thing. No I don't think it is a sin to play golf, but to have it as a hobby.....let us read what Jesus says about discipleship again.

When I speak of those who are called to a 100 fold, they have no desire to even play golf once. For to play golf once would repulse them for they are dead to all the things and entertainment of the world, they have no desire/affections for worldly amusement. Nothing brings them joy except Jesus and all that leads to eternity in Him. It would bring great depression upon them than joy to have to partake of the things of the world.

2007/9/13 17:00Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Just read Oswald's quote.

That I truly agree!

2007/9/13 17:03Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
So it's a sin to golf?

Brother Krispy,

I can feel the heart of Jim here.

It's not the question here is the golf or other sport sin or not.

I trained volleyball for seven years. And not just volleyball, I was going to bed with the ball, and after the classes I was all day with the ball, not just volleyball also other sports. I watched, went , was into sports in any way.

It came moment when I needed to go to meeting or training. To watch football finals or to go to and gather with one or two brothers. I admit, first moments it was difficult, but as the time was passing by, the values started to change and change.

Something new was coming to stage, new values, your heart is starting to burn was some [i]other[/i] things. As Smith said: "The new will expel the old. " And that was the case.
You are now to pursuit other things.
You burning for something else. And those old things are starting to become with little or no value to you.

I don't believe that golf or volleyball is sin. Actually I like to play! And to say, my desire is so big that I haven't touched a ball in years.
And I will rather go to play tomorrow volleyball if the Spirit leads me.
But again, now is something else.

Let us not forget what Paul said to Timothy:

1Ti 4:8 [b]For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. [/b]

Amen.

-----------

I believe this thread was started in the spirit of what Ravenhill said, and I agree with that,

It's the most critical hour in human history and the Church is playing games! (literally or not)

2007/9/13 17:14Profile
truth1

Re:

Quote:
Surely those who are disciples according to the word in the gospels will have no hobbies of the world!

Surely you jest.

And no I did not find that Oswald Smith answered the questions, furthermore I have trouble adequately categorizing the secular and sacred, as some apparently seem to have a good grasp on?

In truth, it really is no one’s business, whether this Pastor is playing golf, taking a walk, fishing or reading a book.

2007/9/13 18:06Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
May I attend the theatre? What harm is there in the dance? May I play cards?"

It's worth noting that to O Chambers, these things were explicitly worldy...even sinful. I do not believe golf belongs in the category of playing cards or attending the theater.

I also do not believe any one here at SI uses 100 percent of their life's energy only doing things that would be recognized as ministry activity by other people. This is the kind of unreality that just gets us all accusing one another. Why exalt an idea that is ultimately fiction...we all know that even full time ministers need down time.

If it's a sin to play golf or some recreative equivilant, then I suspect every person here in the forum is guilty of this sin.

Have you ever seen one of those tabloid photos of a famous person caught unaware by a flash camera as they exited a resturaunt? To me it seems that brother Jim, brought us a verbal snapshop of this pastor like one of those tabloid photograhers, and then tried to say "behold the man." I think in his zeal for the people he cares about in Detroit, Jim stepped over the line.

If people followed us around with a camera, don't you think they would be able to snap a few unflattering photos? If you don't think they could, or don't think that snapshots could be that damaging if the pattern of your character is good, you are in store for a terrible dissapointment one day. Defamation will happen to you...maybe not in a magazine, but certainly in the pages of church gossip.

Now this golf playing pastor may actually be a true dirtbag. (Is it important?) The problem is that we have to take Jim's word for it. Such a 'court system' is contrary even to the law of Moses...let alone the Grace of Christ.

By the way Jim, I am most thankful for your ministry in Detroit. Those are the snapshots I think would edify us here at SI. We know the world stinks. Show us something new.

MC

2007/9/13 18:10Profile

Re:

Everyone that thinks Krispy is wrong

I say this,

Again, the simplicity of the thread is as follows;

There is no sin in partaking in these things, unless the spirit of God speaks expressly to you or I, there is no true conviction for one to stop these things. It is the same with sin.

Please everyone contrary to Krispy, please stop being so high and mighty, this is one of the many reasons the world doesn't want to hear much if anything we "so-called christians" have to say. W babble on about what is right or wrong, and have absolutely no desire for life to bring to the Lord's table or the sinners table. Please, I repeat with heartache, please stop this madness about what is right or wrong, let God convict u to get u in order, sometimes even these forums are somewhat whack with pharisaical and saddusaical(My spelling is probably OOOFFF).

Not only that, not one of us are Oswald Smith, or any of the other men and women that have gone before us. Are we with our self-righteos selves suppose to sit arounnd the house all day in prayer, in bible and in fellowship with one another? That sounds so hypocritical for anyone here that i know with flesh and blood to attempt to convey except with BALANCE.

Let me clarify further,
I have been around the Church for 20 years and I have seen a whole lot of;
Hypocrisy, self -righteousness, headyness, arrogance, self-piety, self-elevation, self-pride, "walking tight-ropes type of legalistic doctrine, the money gospel, the name it and claim it gospel, the laughing revival, True-spotted(secluded to various towns-small churches etc...)
revivals, self -death antics, charismatic faith healers, snake handlers... you name it.

I have also been greatly affiliated with many of these events, and I am ever so sorry to God, but it was what i was taught at the time, and the tide tended to flow in that direction of my life until the Lord OPENED MY EYES to a better way.

The Lord will WOOOO all of us into his proverbial LOVE as he so sees fit, but Do not think that because you do not desire this or that someone else has to feel the way u feel in order to have a type of God's fullness. We r to meet God in our times of prayer and true devotion, not as ur life can dictate... BALANCE

The Key here is not to be consumed or place anything above the Heart of God. LOVE not the world nor the things of it, Never does it say or imply that we cannot pass the time with moderation.

We go too far saints, we r still in this world. We need to just ask God for his wisdom and understanding. Another issue is that we all read these books, hear these sermons, etc.., ONE cannot make or mold themselves into what God is asking,we cannot inflict ourselves with the burden of these men and women. We r to wait on God in prayer, fastings, and as the ministry of our Lord takes/leads us. If we feel what these men and women that have gone before us say is real then we r to begin asking the savior to help us on this short journey, not give every single thing that is in the world up. One will find themselves picking it back up again because they lack the conviction that comes from the mighty spirit. We cannot convict ourselves, not even in court!

Wrong will be wrong, but every thing isn't wrong or sin. JUst don't put it above GOD's love.

Now, I do believe that a healthy relationship with God as with the ones u love will cause u to want more time and involvement with them, but God would even have us to be of some relevant earthly good no matter how "LOST FOR JESUS" we are. Check that, we can be so lost for Jesus that we r just that. LOST

This is not difficult, Be urself in Christ, not at ease but at Rest

Peace in Jesus Name

2007/9/13 18:23

Re:

Good Post Compton and Truth1

Even our brother Art Katz stated that the secular as well as the sacred is Holy unto a great invisivble God. WE must , please we must hone into God with our common earth sense that he touches on a daily basis.

God is concerned about both the natural and the spiritual. If one hides in the house in prayer all the time or reduce themselves to homage or quaker lifestyles, r u better or holier that others? I believe and think not with Holy conviction.

Furthermore, if we hide all day in our Holy self righteous domains we will find ourselves without souls or without anyone hearing the Word of God . Paul planted, Apollos watered, BUT God, he gies increase, he will make the beautiful flower grow as he births and sees fit. So get up from the secluded darkness and let or allow God's spirit to use u in daily worship....

We r living epistles, read and seen of men

Love

2007/9/13 18:41

Re:

Quote:
jimdied2sin wrote: First of all I do know the ministry. They are a Church of Christ that runs a bible college that my little sister just had to leave because they have fallen into apostasy and teach the emergent church nonsense over the cross of Christ, sin, rightousness and judgment.

Their college group also goes down to an area where I minister and preaches a false gospel (a way to make them feel they are achieving their social justice goal) to the addicts and homeless that I work with and strenghten them in their sin, causing great harm to the souls of men I love.

I have talked with some of their group, going through the scriptures (including the associate pastor).

Jim - it's not just Detroit.
At the least, you've brought out some good replies.

Quote:
Compton wrote: I also do not believe any one here at SI uses 100 percent of their life's energy only doing things that would be recognized as ministry activity by other people. This is the kind of unreality that just gets us all accusing one another. Why exalt an idea that is ultimately fiction...we all know that even full time ministers need down time.

If it's a sin to play golf or some recreative equivilant, then I suspect every person here in the forum is guilty of this sin.

Brother, this would be presumption, just as Jim has been accused of presumption - though he explained further in the quote above of why he disagreed with this Pastor.

If sides must be drawn here - I would rather side with those who desire to number their days and see that all that cannot pass the test of fire in the end, the wood, hay and stubble, is that which they focus their lives on or avoid.
Rather than to look at how much "can" we do outside of seeking Christ and His Will for our days - it would be better to see that we can make each breathing moment of life something that will have some eternal value in the end.
Life is but a breath. It is so short compared to Eternity.
A pastor's best day off is in the Presence of God.
Why strain over what we can do, that is not Christ centered and argue over those things - but check our day's schedule and figure into them, what we can do ourselves or with our children, that will cause our homes to be all that they can be and all that we can be, to be the Salt and Light of the World ? Not hiding our light under a bushel, and so forth.
What is this "seeking of Revival" mean ?

If Jim was speaking of the "world that stinks" - none of this would make any sense - but he's showing us the state of the shepherds in this country who hold the minds of the people in their Churches - either toward Christ or toward the world or a counterfeit Christianity.
God had a lot to say about these "shepherds" in His Word also.
When judgment begins with the house of God, it will fall toward these hirelings first.
Then the sheep who didn't seek God for themselves, but followed men.
I don't feel this is just about "golf".
It goes much deeper.

2007/9/13 18:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy