SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Learn From Finney's Mistakes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Learn From Finney's Mistakes

Finney denied original sin.

"Moral depravity cannot consist in any attribute of nature or constitution, nor in any lapsed or fallen state of nature. . . . Moral depravity, as I use the term, does not consist in, nor imply a sinful nature, in the sense that the human soul is sinful in itself. It is not a constitutional sinfulness" [Systematic Theology, 245].

Finney was a Pelagian in theology.

"[Sinners] are under the necessity of first changing their hearts, or their choice of an end, before they can put forth any volitions to secure any other than a selfish end. And this is plainly the everywhere assumed philosophy of the Bible. That uniformly represents the unregenerate as totally depraved,[3] and calls upon them to repent, to make themselves a new heart" [Systematic Theology, 249].

Finney's theology lectures are not centered on the God of the Bible who works miracles in reviving the souls of men.

There is nothing in religion beyond the ordinary powers of nature. A revival is not a miracle, nor dependent on a miracle, in any sense. It is a purely philosophical result of the right use of the constituted means—as much so as any other effect produced by the application of means. . . . A revival is as naturally a result of the use of means as a crop is of the use of its appropriate means" [Charles Finney, Lectures on Revivals of Religion (Old Tappan, NJ: Revell, n.d.), 4-5].

Let Finney tell you of His own errors.

I was often instrumental in bringing Christians under great conviction, and into a state of temporary repentance and faith . . . . [But] falling short of urging them up to a point, where they would become so acquainted with Christ as to abide in Him, they would of course soon relapse into their former state [cited in B. B. Warfield, Studies in Perfectionism, 2 vols. (New York: Oxford, 1932), 2:24].

One of Finney's contemporaries said a similar statement, but more radical:

During ten years, hundreds, and perhaps thousands, were annually reported to be converted on all hands; but now it is admitted, that real converts are comparatively few. It is declared, even by [Finney] himself, that "the great body of them are a disgrace to religion" [cited in Warfield, 2:23].

B. B. Warfield noted the testimony of Asa Mahan, one of Finney's near associates,

...who tells us—to put it briefly—that everyone who was concerned in these revivals suffered a sad subsequent lapse: the people were left like a dead coal which could not be reignited; the pastors were shorn of all their spiritual power; and the evangelists—"among them all," he says, "and I was personally acquainted with nearly every one of them—I cannot recall a single man, brother Finney and father Nash excepted, who did not after a few years lose his unction, and become equally disqualified for the office of evangelist and that of pastor."
Thus the great "Western Revivals" ran out into disaster. . . . Over and over again, when he proposed to revisit one of the churches, delegations were sent him or other means used, to prevent what was thought of as an affliction. . . . Even after a generation had passed by, these burnt children had no liking for the fire [Warfield, 2:26-28].

In the book "Reflections on Revival" Donald Dayton has put together a series of 32 open letters that Charles Finney wrote. These were printed in The Oberlin Evangelist from January 1945 to June 1946.

Dayton writes,

“I have thought that at least in a great many instances, stress enough has not been laid upon the necessity of divine influence upon the hearts of Christians and sinners. I am confident that I have sometimes erred in this respect myself. In order to rout sinners and backsliders from their self-justifying pleas and refuges, I have laid, and I doubt not others also have laid too much stress upon the natural ability of sinners to the neglect of showing them the nature and extent of their dependence upon the grace of God and the influence of His Spirit. This has grieved the Spirit of God. His work not being honored by being made sufficiently prominent, and not being able to get the glory to himself of His own work, He has withheld His influences.” (pp. 17-18)

Please learn from this man's mistakes and preach the whole counsel of God. Salvation is of the LORD.

God bless you!
-Abraham

2007/9/9 1:15
awakenwithin

AZ

Re: Learn From Finney's Mistakes

wow brother, did he say this?
There is nothing in religion beyond the ordinary powers of nature. A revival is not a miracle, nor dependent on a miracle, in any sense. It is a purely philosophical result of the right use of the constituted means—as much so as any other effect produced by the application of means. . . . A revival is as naturally a result of the use of means as a crop is of the use of its appropriate means" [Charles Finney, Lectures on Revivals of Religion (Old Tappan, NJ: Revell, n.d.), 4-5].

haven't we been saying that God is the one who will be working at Ohio?

2007/10/20 21:28Profile

Re:

It's in His lectures on Revival. It was very foundational in his theology. (Man rather than God)

Edit: for clarification

2007/10/29 23:41
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Learn From Finney's Mistakes

Quote:
This has grieved the Spirit of God. His work not being honored by being made sufficiently prominent, and not being able to get the glory to himself of His own work, He has withheld His influences.”

It is interesting that Finney would have felt this way even though long before meetings were to be held in the various locations he would often send in men like Abel Clary or Daniel Nash to literally bath the place in intercession. There are many compelling stories of the Spirit of prayer coming upon a whole town as that being the forerunner of the great moves of God that would later happen.

Most of us in these forums would likely denounce several key aspects to Finney's theology, but what we have tried to learn from has been what brought about success in his times. His theology was a reaction to dominant theology of his day that resulted in a stalemate between man and God. He often wrote of sinner's waiting on God to move them to repentance as if they used this as an excuse to remain in sin. He reacted to a people that just 'waited on God' all the time as if God was withholding His Spirit. Finney believed that God was as willing to send a revival as He was willing to cause a blade of wheat to grow if it fell into good ground.

Perhaps, by his own admission, he relied too heavily at times on man's ability. But I think that we also have to guard against the idea that somehow God will not send a revival to any certain place. I believe that any place on earth where the people are responding rightly to God has the potential erupt into Holy Ghost revival. Consider this passage:

And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? [i]If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?[/i] (Luke 11)

I think we often underestimate and misrepresent God as if He were withholding His Spirit from us. If an evil parent will give His child those things that are vital to his survival in this life- the very means of sustenance when it is in their power to do it- [i]how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?[/i]. Would God look on as a starving and thirsty Church wastes away with parched lips and tongue as if to taunt them in their misery and grovel until they faint? Not according to Luke 11.

Often when God has sent revival He has looked for a man that He could use. How shall they hear without a preacher? I think sometimes what me mean in asking God for revival- is that God would send a refreshing powerful enough to sweep us away from the sins that easily beset us as we have not the willingness to turn them loose simply for His asking. As if to beg God to snatch them from our bosom. God is pressing ever so gently upon or hearts to turn loose of those things and yet men respond with a million subtle excuses that all resound as 'NO!' Men tell God 'NO!' all the time and keep on asking for a revival. What a marvelous thing?!

Revival begins when men are willing to listen again to the still small voice. But men desire that God should speak to them with 10 megaphones into their ears. As if the intensity of His voice to urge upon them a willingness to behave ourselves as so many simply defy His soft spoken will. Should God must needs to SHOUT at us to gain our obedience?

And so men wait and wait and wait as if God has forsaken these lands. No doubt Finney had done well to stick to preaching and left the theology to someone else. But he understood this one simple truth and it arrests my attention and resounds as being true. Why should men blame God for their own rebellion? Why should men whet their parched tongues with lies? God hath bidden men to come and drink of the rivers of the waters of life [i]freely[/i]. What folly shall men be seen to embrace as God shows them pace back and forth along the riverbanks of His gracious willingness to give of His Spirit?

2007/10/30 4:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy