SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Calvinism for reaching the Lost or Reaching the Saved?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Blunt

Is Calvinism for reaching the Lost or Reaching the Saved?

I am not calvinist or Armenian but I love Calvinists.I believe they are a part of the body of Christ,.I know alot of Godly 5 pointers ,7 pointers and 12 pointers and so on...

My notice though of alot of our brothers who abide and teach Calvinism spend more time preaching to other believers then to the Lost.Maybe it is a maturity issue that these guys suffer from or who I am fellowshiping with.Anyone out there notice this also?

Remember I love my Reformed Bro's I am not bashing just throwing a question out there.

2007/9/6 13:46Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Is Calvinism for reaching the Lost or Reaching the Saved?

i love the calvinist also! i just dont like what they teach :-P

2007/9/6 13:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am not calvinist or Armenian but I love Calvinists.I believe they are a part of the body of Christ,.I know alot of Godly 5 pointers ,7 pointers and 12 pointers and so on...

My notice though of alot of our brothers who abide and teach Calvinism spend more time preaching to other believers then to the Lost.Maybe it is a maturity issue that these guys suffer from or who I am fellowshiping with.Anyone out there notice this also?

Remember I love my Reformed Bro's I am not bashing just throwing a question out there.

I am in the same boat as you. I have seen this on SI and in my "real life" fellowship. I am not impressed by those whose walk with the Lord bears its primary fruit in shoving theology down my throat.

I suppose being a bold soldier in the army of theology does have its perks over denying the flesh daily, perfecting holiness in fear of the Lord, selling our possessions and giving to the poor, going to the mission field and giving our very lives for our blessed savior though.

Now some will say we can do all that and have "correct doctrine" too. (Of course as long as you agree that my doctrine is the correct one) This is true, we should have correct doctrine, keeping in mind that great men of God in the past could not even come to agreement on some points regarding election and free will. HOWEVER, correct doctrine will never produce a saint, that is save anyone and should not be "our thing" that we focus on.

Salvation is a person, and His name is Jesus Christ. Walking with Him daily in reality and power should be "our thing". Oh that we would be as passionate about our Christ as we are about our doctrine!

In Him - Jim

2007/9/6 14:06
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re: Is Calvinism for reaching the Lost or Reaching the Saved?

Blunt, I've also noticed that there seems to be a strong obligation on the part of the calvinists to endoctrinate the rest of christianity. I still haven't figured out why it is that they have such a stong agenda to propagate their theology. But it is obviously there. I don't despise my calvinist brothers either. George Whitefield is my biggest hero of the faith. Along with Edwards, Spurgeon and the reformers. But I just don't understand why they sense such a need to fix everyone else's "bad" theology. Why can't we as the body of Christ just enjoy fellowshipping with each other without hammering on each other's beliefs? To me this is a very perplexing problem. :-( :-?

2007/9/6 14:07Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Another outstanding post Jim. I don't and won't ever believe that the secret of the lives of great men of God was in their doctrine, but rather in their dedication and devotion to God and Jesus Christ.

2007/9/6 14:10Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Salvation is a person, and His name is Jesus Christ.

And I do not know any Calvinist who would disagree with you, but the problem is that if a person is an Arminian, they do not believe that Christ alone saves a man. It must be Christ plus my good works that assure me of Heaven. Because Arminian belief is that Christ only made salvation possible, or wiped the slate clean , and now man must keep it clean.

Because so few truly know what Arminianism teaches, or where it cam from they assume that it must be true because it "feels" right, and makes God a very diplomatic God in that he offers salvation to everyone, and values everyones' opinions.

At the end of the day, if one would study the similarities between Arminianism and Roman Catholicism, they would see why there are Protestants, and why men and women died for the doctrines of justification by faith alone through Christ alone by God's grace alone to the glory of God alone as seen in Scripture alone.

2007/9/6 14:15Profile
Blunt

Re:

I dont know.....
I have met personally some solid Jesus Loving reformer's.Doug Bookman Head of theology at Master's Seminary and Friends of Isreal,the late Ken Connolly "the History of the Bible Guy". Just like how the Jews were in stewardship of the word of God before the NT to me it seems our Calvinistic brothers lean toward's Intellectualism and Scholarship.I believe we need them for sure to defend the Scriptures scholarly and make in a way protect the Word from those who seek to change it.I think they get so Excited about thier new "Nuggets of Scriptural Knowledge "they have to share it!This is for sure if they took thier Zeal for pushing Calvinism and focused that on Jesus "Watch out we could have 10,000 spurgeons going to all the nations! Make that a million!

2007/9/6 14:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
And I do not know any Calvinist who would disagree with you, but the problem is that if a person is an Arminian, they do not believe that Christ alone saves a man. It must be Christ plus my good works that assure me of Heaven. Because Arminian belief

No offense, but this is where everything goes to blah blah blah for me. You are operating under a false supposition (acutally make that plural) and therfore your entire post is not relavent to me. I am not interested in Calvinism or Armininism, these are two puppet camps set up by men. That is a set of false choices that we must choose to align ourselves with??

Quote:
Watch out we could have 10,000 spurgeons going to all the nations! Make that a million!

Sadly though the majority of Calvinists are not saved, they know nothing more of the kingdom of God then the pharisees. (That goes for arminians and all other professing Christians too)

In Christ - Jim

2007/9/6 14:31
Blunt

Re:

I hold to the same view you also do
but totally disagree
They ARE Saved !

Come on ......lets leave the saving power up to Jesus and not a sect. of christianity.Each one must come to terms with The Lord.
Take some time and fellowship with the guys you will spend Eternity with Bro!

2007/9/6 14:41Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Sadly though the majority of Calvinists are not saved, they know nothing more of the kingdom of God then the pharisees. (That goes for arminians and all other professing Christians too)

Care to elaborate on this. As you have now said that I am not saved, nor was Spurgeon, Luther, Tyndale, Edwards, Knox, Calvin, John Owen, Francis Schaeffer, and a vast cloud of men who did great things for God because they saw Him being the Animator and Sustainer of all things.

And may I ask, how could Romans 8:28 be true if God is not completely Sovereign over all that goes into His childrens' life?

2007/9/6 14:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy