SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the Gospel?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Jeremy wrote:

Quote:
The reason why I asked the question in my first post "What is the gospel?" is because I've been wondering if we miss it when we think of the gospel as Jesus died to save you. (I agree that Jesus died to save men btw)

Gal. 1:3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Coming alongside you brother, Paul writes this above...

"He gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age...."

The reason Christ gave Himself for our sins, according to Paul, is that He might deliver us from the present evil age. The question then is, How does He deliver us from this present evil age?

In the book of Proverbs in chapter 2 we have this thought...

1 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
8 He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.
9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,

In this Scripture we learn that "wisdom" is given to those who obey and learn from Him. The promise for those who obey is this..."When wisdom enters your heart, and knowledge is pleasant to your soul...this process...then will preserve those who hear and obey. They who believe are given understanding. This grace that is given "delivers you from the way of evil...."

This work of God through Jesus Christ is meant to, as Paul teaches,

"that He might deliver us from this present evil age,"

The work of Christ is to seperate us from this evil age. Listen again to Proverbs...

10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,
13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness
To walk in the ways of darkness;
14 Who rejoice in doing evil,
And delight in the perversity of the wicked;
15 Whose ways are crooked,
And who are devious in their paths;
16 To deliver you from the immoral woman,
From the seductress who flatters with her words,
17 Who forsakes the companion of her youth,
And forgets the covenant of her God.
18 For her house leads down to death,
And her paths to the dead;
19 None who go to her return,
Nor do they regain the paths of life—

Here in the above Scripture we are given a picture of what God defines this evil age to be...

For those who enter in to His rest, they will find the beauty of the truth that reveals the works of Christ in us to free us from the bondage of Satan and of perverse men in this age of evil...

This is the Good News...

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/17 2:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Phillip quoted this Scripture...

Quote:
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom;

Paul preaches, "warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom" about the "riches of the glory of this mystery."

Again let us go to Proverbs to learn more of this mystery...

Proverbs 1:

Prov. 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
2 To know wisdom and instruction,
To perceive the words of understanding,
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom,
Justice, judgment, and equity;
4 To give prudence to the simple,
To the young man knowledge and discretion—
5 A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
6 To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.

Solomon writes of this same mystery.

He writes, "A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.

The Holy Spirit, as our conselor, will illuminate the word of God in a way that the world does not understand. But for those who "increase learning" for those who obey, the will be given the ability to "understand a proverb and and enigma, the words of the wise and their riddles."

According to God, the wise of this world are fools according to God's wisdom. The 'wise" that Solomon is refering to are those who hear and do the commands of God according to His Word and His Voice.

In Christ
jeff

2007/9/17 2:33Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:Jesus is our portion thomasm

I LIKE YOU ANSWER

thomasm wrote

"Jesus is the good news, He is our portion, Our life , our holiness, our redemption, our righteousness."

The struggle to not splinter into men led groups.

2007/9/17 9:42Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Cain cannot save you, either can anything in the old testament except Law. All the commandments in the old testament have a consequence, if you don't do them you are condemned. None of the commandments in the new testament have condemnation. In Paul's epistles alone there are over 355 commandments to to do good and none of them carry condemnation. They are done out of Love for the Work God has done in us. When we believe we receive not only the Holy Spirit of God in us, but we receive the Life and New Nature of being birthed by God with the Incorruptable Seed of Christ born again in us. Cain was not born again or Able or even Moses, Abraham, David or Nicodemus, the highest Israel had to offer when it came to the Keeping of the Law God had commanded them to keep, and even Nicodemus did not understand. How can Cain and Able be expected to understand the Mystery Paul reveals to us in all his epistles.

Grace and mercy in the old testament must be different, they did not have the Holy Spirit in them or The Birth of The Son of God in them.

For it is now by Grace you are save through Faith, not of the Law or Works which no man can be saved by. Christ in you, The Holy Spirit, not just on you or with you, but in you, this is the Mystery Paul speaks about always in all his epistles, given him direct by Jesus Christ Himself, if it were not a new way of salvation, it would not have been a Mystery hidden from all generations. It is God who made this Mystery, that is Christ in you the Hope of Glory in His plan for before He ever planned the earth and man. "The Lamb slain from the foundation of the World" and Man "chosen in Christ before that foundation".

Nothing in the old testament has our salvation revealed in it except the promise of Jesus Christ being brought through Israel, a 14 year old virgin would be with child, by the Seed of God Himself through the Holy Spirit, giving birth to the Only Begotten Son of God. Now that we believe by the Holy Spirit, we are rebirthed the same way. The Spiritual, Sexual, The Greatest act of Love possible, Sperma of the Father placed in the believer by the Holy Spirit because we believe the Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

John 3:15-18 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. (((((For God so loved))))) the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 Peter 1:22-23 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

The whole list in the old testament, Cain, Able, Moses, David, Abraham, etc, none had this birthing and were save by God's mercy through the Law and what they did.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

Jhn 16:31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

Jhn 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Christ is our Justification to New Life, The Life of God birthed in us by the Son of God.

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Why put a yoke upon the neck of all who are in Christ?

Acts 15:8-11 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Even unto all those that believe, it is God who for His good Pleasure causes us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved, not Cain or Able etc.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Have you received the Word of God concerning His son Jesus Christ?

1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received [it] not [as] the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

In Jesus, Who are these?

1Ti 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Old testament Saints will be with God their Husband, new testament Saints will be with their Husband, Christ. One to earthly benefits, one to heavenly benefits.

1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Believe What?

Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

1Pe 1:21 Who by Him (Jesus Christ) do believe in God, that raised Him up from the dead, and gave Him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe [He is] precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the Stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

Who are the builders? Israel

1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Having eternal life in Christ: Phillip

2007/9/17 14:36Profile
psalm1

Re:

thomasm,A big AMEN to what you said.I would also like to add: the good news to the jew was that mesiah had already come the vail was rent and now no more need for animal sacrifice. sin can now be washed away with Gods blood.And for the gentile he can be a grafted in jew. With full benefits.
THIS IS SO AWESOME
....David

2007/9/17 17:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

psalm 1 wrote:

Quote:
thomasm,A big AMEN to what you said.I would also like to add: the good news to the jew was that mesiah had already come the vail was rent and now no more need for animal sacrifice. sin can now be washed away with Gods blood.And for the gentile he can be a grafted in jew. With full benefits.
THIS IS SO AWESOME
....David

David understood this also

Psalm 51

16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.

Listen to the "wisdom" that the Holy Spirit gave to David...

Psa. 51:0 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

Psa. 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.
4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just when You speak,
And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
9 Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

There is a remnant that walked in the way of Abel in each generation...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/18 1:03Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
Cain cannot save you, either can anything in the old testament except Law. All the commandments in the old testament have a consequence, if you don't do them you are condemned. None of the commandments in the new testament have condemnation. In Paul's epistles alone there are over 355 commandments to to do good and none of them carry condemnation.

How does what you wrote compare to Scripture?

Rom. 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Gal. 6:7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Col. 1:21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

What does the word "if" mean in Scripture?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/18 1:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 1

Psa. 1:1 Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
4 The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

This is another section of Scripture which speaks of the Gospel. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit can one be like the tree. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit can there be a "congregation of the righteous."

Just a thought

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/18 1:12Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
For it is now by Grace you are save through Faith, not of the Law or Works which no man can be saved by.

This was also true of another generation, according to Paul's teaching...

Romans 11:
4 But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

How does this Scripture compare to your understanding?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/18 1:17Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

There was a remnant chosen and set aside for Himself and one of them was Able, then by God Himself was the only way Able could. Able did not bow the knee to Baal, because He was chosen by God and set aside.

We are chose in Christ by believing and God is the One that gives the believing to those that are in Christ. We did not choose Him but He chose us. Jhn 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Jhn 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

In Christ: Phillip

If: ei ei i
a primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.:--forasmuch as, if, that, (al-)though, whether. Often used in connection or composition with other particles, especially as in 1489, 1490, 1499, 1508, 1509, 1512, 1513, 1536, 1537. See also 1437.

eige eige i'-gheh
from 1487 and 1065; if indeed, seeing that, unless, (with negative) otherwise:--if (so be that, yet).

ei de mh(ge) ei de me(ge) i deh may'-(gheh)
from 1487, 1161, and 3361 (sometimes with 1065 added); but if not:--(or) else, if (not, otherwise), otherwise.

ei kai ei kai i kahee
from 1487 and 2532; if also (or even):--if (that), though.

ei mh ei me i may
from 1487 and 3361; if not:--but, except (that), if not, more than, save (only) that, saving, till.

Etc. depending on the context of what one is reading.

2007/9/18 2:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy