SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the Gospel?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

What is the Gospel?

I'm just wondering how everyone here at SI defines the Gospel.

How do you define or understand the Gospel?

2007/9/5 17:01Profile

Re: What is the Gospel?

Quote:
What is the Gospel?

That which GOD has done for us in Christ.

God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself.

2007/9/5 17:31
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
That which GOD has done for us in Christ.

Amen!

Perhaps even more succinctly the Gospel is Christ. If the work relies upon us, we're doomed from the beginning, so anything emanating from us is not the Gospel. The Gospel is 100% outside of us, and done for us, and then brought into us by the Holy Spirit's work of regeneration.

To get this wrong is a travesty of immense proportions.

2007/9/5 17:54Profile
vico

Col 1:18-22 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell;
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblamable and unreprovable in his sight:

or in short:

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2007/9/5 18:43Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Is the sum of the gospel then the reconciliation of sinners? Or is it more than that?

2007/9/5 22:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
Is the sum of the gospel then the reconciliation of sinners? Or is it more than that?

The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for everyone that believes.

Salvation encompasses: regeneration, redemption, justification, reconciliation, sanctification, mortification, glorification, etc.

The main point is that Christ accomplished all of these "things" for us, and we inherit His victory by faith.

2007/9/5 22:24
dohzman

Jesus Christ , who is very God, born of a virgin, came to the earth He created to purchase back fallen man, to purchase him back from satan and sin and show man the way he could have again the original relationship with God that was intended and in the end to inherit eternal life. This same God suffered died and was buried to pay for our redemption, on the third day He rose from the grave to secure our justification and is seated at the right hand of the Father. As evidence of such He sends the Holy Spirit of promise who leads and guides those he has redeemed in the ways of God on earth and into heaven for all eternity.

I know that this is simplistic and there is much I did not include, like repentance and sin and etc.... but, I like simple but even in simple there is alot that falls between the lines. it's called real life.

2007/9/5 23:07Profile

Re: What is the gospel?

dohzman said

Quote:
He sends the Holy Spirit of promise who leads and guides those he has redeemed in the ways of God on earth and into heaven for all eternity.

Brother, you stole my thunder!

I was going to quote Paul's sermonette from Acts 17 on Mars Hill, and draw attention to his punchline, namely, resurrection from the dead.

Christians are somewhat immunised by the familiarity of the concept of resurrection from death, forgetting the Christ's resurrection from the dead was the worst possible news the Jewish religious hierarchy could have heard in their entire history.... that they [i]had indeed crucified THE MESSIAH[/i]. :-? :-?

:-o

Perhaps also, the strictures placed on us, in the terms laid down by Jesus, are not seen clearly [u]enough[/u] as being the rock on which our salvation\resurrection is founded, and [i][b]if[/i][/b] we don't comply with them, we many not live to enjoy that resurrection of our body, as He did... [u]Our[/u] eternity may be lost to us.

What is the gospel?

[b]It is that good news of how we can escape the wrath of God, which otherwise will fall on the children of unbelief[/b] (or disobedience).

God's last 'word' was His Son - the Way, the Truth, the Life.

We love Him, because He first loved us.

What shall I render unto the Lord? I'll take the cup of salvation.

Such a paradox... but AMEN! 8-)

2007/9/6 10:14

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps also, the strictures placed on us, in the terms laid down by Jesus, are not seen clearly enough as being the rock on which our salvation\resurrection is founded, and if we don't comply with them, we many not live to enjoy that resurrection of our body, as He did... Our eternity may be lost to us.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you explain?

2007/9/6 11:54

Re: What is the gospel?

Hi Mahoney,

Well... since I saw your question here, I opened the reply box and then realised I wanted to see again what you'd written in your earlier post in this thread. On the way to opening another screen on this thread, I got side-tracked to the thread on worldliness in the church, in which you posted those extracts from Thomas Chalmers.

So really, now I think we're on the same page already, inasmuchas I wan't meaning anything 'secret squirrel'... but [i]simply[/i] that Jesus said His words [u]are[/u] [b]the rock[/b] on which we build, and if we don't build on that rock, our house will fall down.

At the back of my mind, I am aware there are major concerns amongst western Christians who see a lack of biblical knowledge within their churches and a lack of identification with Christ's death in the lifestyles of fellow 'believers'... some of whom may read such message boards as ours, because they [i]are[/i] seeking a deeper peace with God and an end to all confusion of voices in their ears.

Well here it is: [b]listen to Jesus[/b].

I meant nothing more than we should take His words to heart; He said: And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)

If this hasn't answered your question, please say.

PS - I believe the [i]street[/i], in which a church of my childhood was built, was named after Thomas [u]Chalmers[/u]. Horatius Bonar had held that pulpit in the latter years of his ministry and the galleries were unsafe because of how they had been crowded in Bonar's day. (No loudspeaker system, but people stood in the aisles and [i]outside[/i] trying to hear him preach.)

I want to say it was boring to my young ears by my day, but maybe there was more truth being ministered than I appreciated at the time... There was serious youth work still going on and a genuine heart for missions. I learned that Annie Cousins had been a member there, and we always sang (at Communion, four times a year) the second verse of her famous hymn:

O Christ, He is the fountain, the deep, sweet well of love!
The streams of earth I've tasted, more deep I'l drink above,
There to an ocean's fulness, His mercy doth expand,
And glory, glory dwelleth, in Immanuel's land.

2007/9/6 12:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy