SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Hugo Chavez & Understanding an Emerging Independent South America (audio) ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rahman

Hugo Chavez & Understanding an Emerging Independent South America (audio) ...

This is a short (objective in my opinion) and informative interview ...

[b]Washington Journal Audio Interview (27 min):[/b]
rtsp://video.c-span.org/15days/wj090207_weisbrot.rm

Mark Weisbrot, Center for Economic & Policy Research, Co-Director, talks about an emergent economically independent South America, and Pres. Chavez's influence in the recent release of Colombian hostages, and his current trip to Colombia.

Be informed! ...

Blessings in Christ Jesus! ...

2007/9/4 16:23Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Hugo Chavez & Understanding an Emerging Independent South America (audio) ...

I couldn't see the video because my Mac is over 5 years old and in need of an update in software, but I read the 22 page article concerning what is really happening in Venezuela...

This article describes something you never hear from the U.S. media...Venezuela seems to be propering under Chavez...

It seems that the U.S. policy it geared towards villifying Chavez because he wants to remain in power. Yet we are best friends with Omar Quadafi and Musharaf of Pakistan...

At least Chavez has a heart for the poor and oppressed, not only in his country but also the slums of the industrialized countries.

Just a thought

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/5 1:47Profile
Rahman

i wonder? ...

Amen bro Jeff ...

As the interview, and what you read conveys, it's just further proof of the crumbling of American hegemony ... Did you notice how it said that at one time the U.S. controlled Venezuela and South America via controlling their ability to get credit, now we're a nation dependant on the credit of others to continue to run ... The once great USA used to dole out $$$ like there was no tomorrow to these percieved lesser nations, and peoples, and now the tides seems to have turned, and oil (especially here regarding Chavez and Venezuela) with China's back door agreements on oil futures with all of America's oil producing enemies is allowing these former little guys to work some deals freeing them from Western influence ... The sad thing is these little guys see China as one of the fellow down-trodden by Western Europe and the USA, and are further blinded still by the money that China is dispersing while not taking under account that China is doing the same pillaging of them as did the West ... The bottom line is these little guys are still getting screwed, but the $$$ is enabling them to thumb their noses at the U.S. and it's percieved injustices towards them ...

i was thinking the other day that both World Wars we're direct results of clashes between so called Christian Western European Powers riding rough shod over one another and/over so called lesser (often pagan) nations, and am wondering if the kick off of the third World War will be because of the once lesser (often pagan) nations (like Iran and China in particular) now beginning to ride rough shod over the West, particularly the USA ... i also wonder if both European inspired World Wars were more a direct result of the type of apparent hypocritical Christianity practiced amongst themselves and toward percieved lesser people than themselves, a reaping of what was sown ... So called Christian Great Britain has an atrocious history of it's treatment of others, as does the USA, and i wonder if their near bombing into oblivion and subsequent fall from world powerdom was their reaping for all their national atrocities up until that point? ... i saw a thread Bro Greg posted about someone in the UK bemoaning their loss of nationality (their last empty vestige of pride) to the EU, and how the guy who wrote The Coming China Wars is bemoaning the fact that Godless China, now with the upper hand, is doing the same dastardly things to get ahead as the suppossedly Godly UK and US did previously ... Lord knows all that was once America's pride, has become our national nightmare ... Whod'a ever thunk it that so rich a nation, would now be the largest debtor nation forced to send emissaries to China in attempts of getting them to continue to buy our debt ... This all reminds me of the scripture
in the Revelation that says, "He who leadeth into captivity, shall be led into captivity" ...

You'd think so called Christian Western nations would understand that reaping what is sown, and one can't serve God and money, are sermons Jesus directly preached - but i guess it's a losing battle when
folk try to juggle the rules of Providence with the attaining of prosperity too ... Japheth's seeming blessing of enlargement and prosperity, proves also to be his biggest curse if not kept within the confines of Shem's tent (God's way) ...

i think we in the USA have suffered some of our dire reaping during the Civil War, Nam, 9/11, and wonder to what extent our future reaping, in light of all the unGodly seed we as a supposedly Christian nation have continued to sow since will affect us ... i pray it not be too much worse than the toppling of our economy - my spiritual spider-senses scream worse - only God truly knows ...

Blessings in Christ Jesus who is able to forgive us of ALL our sins, and clense us from ALL unrighteousness - if we'd only REPENT! ... :-o

2007/9/5 11:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: i wonder? ...

Quote:
i think we in the USA have suffered some of our dire reaping during the Civil War, Nam, 9/11, and wonder to what extent our future reaping, in light of all the unGodly seed we as a supposedly Christian nation have continued to sow since will affect us ..

Amos 4:5 Offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven,
Proclaim and announce the freewill offerings;
For this you love,
You children of Israel!”
Says the Lord GOD.
6 “Also I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities.
And lack of bread in all your places;
Yet you have not returned to Me,”
Says the LORD.
7 “I also withheld rain from you,
When there were still three months to the harvest.
I made it rain on one city,
I withheld rain from another city.
One part was rained upon,
And where it did not rain the part withered.
8 So two or three cities wandered to another city to drink water,
But they were not satisfied;
Says the LORD.
9 “I blasted you with blight and mildew.
When your gardens increased,
Your vineyards,
Your fig trees,
And your olive trees,
The locust devoured them;
Says the LORD.
10 “I sent among you a plague after the manner of Egypt;
Your young men I killed with a sword,
Along with your captive horses;
I made the stench of your camps come up into your nostrils;
Says the LORD.
11 “I overthrew some of you,
As God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah,
And you were like a firebrand plucked from the burning;
Says the LORD.

Quote:
i also wonder if both European inspired World Wars were more a direct result of the type of apparent hypocritical Christianity practiced amongst themselves and toward percieved lesser people than themselves, a reaping of what was sown ... So called Christian Great Britain has an atrocious history of it's treatment of others, as does the USA,

Amos 4:

4 Hear this, you who swallow up the needy,
And make the poor of the land fail,

Amos 8:5 Saying:
“When will the New Moon be past,
That we may sell grain?
And the Sabbath,
That we may trade wheat?
Making the ephah small and the shekel large,
Falsifying the scales by deceit,
6 That we may buy the poor for silver,
And the needy for a pair of sandals—
Even sell the bad wheat?”
7 The LORD has sworn by the pride of Jacob:
“Surely I will never forget any of their works.

Quote:
Whod'a ever thunk it that so rich a nation, would now be the largest debtor nation forced to send emissaries to China in attempts of getting them to continue to buy our debt ... This all reminds me of the scripture
in the Revelation that says, "He who leadeth into captivity, shall be led into captivity" ...

Amos 3:11 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD:
“An adversary shall be all around the land;
He shall sap your strength from you,
And your palaces shall be plundered.”

Quote:
You'd think so called Christian Western nations would understand that reaping what is sown, and one can't serve God and money, are sermons Jesus directly preached - but i guess it's a losing battle when
folk try to juggle the rules of Providence with the attaining of prosperity too .

Amos 2:6 Thus says the LORD:
“For three transgressions of Israel, and for four,
I will not turn away its punishment,
Because they sell the righteous for silver,
And the poor for a pair of sandals.
7 They pant after the dust of the earth which is on the head of the poor,
And pervert the way of the humble.
A man and his father go in to the same girl,
To defile My holy name.
8 They lie down by every altar on clothes taken in pledge,
And drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their god.

Amos 5:20 Is not the day of the LORD darkness, and not light?
Is it not very dark, with no brightness in it?
21 “I hate, I despise your feast days,
And I do not savor your sacred assemblies.
22 Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings,
I will not accept them,
Nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings.
23 Take away from Me the noise of your songs,
For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments.
24 But let justice run down like water,
And righteousness like a mighty stream.

Quote:
Blessings in Christ Jesus who is able to forgive us of ALL our sins, and clense us from ALL unrighteousness - if we'd only REPENT! ...

Amos 9:

8 “Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are on the sinful kingdom,
And I will destroy it from the face of the earth;
Yet I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,”
Says the LORD.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/6 1:39Profile
Rahman

Wonder No More ...

Wowwwwwwwwwww-we! ... bro Jeff ...

i've read/quoted Amos a hundred times, but never has it struck me as it has today! ... :knockedout:

God knows the pain, turmoil, and burden i carry regarding the Church, and the nation, because He put it here, but often the answers to my prayers and wonderings elude me ... :-o

Not so this morning! ...

i praise Him for speaking back to me (thru you) ...

i know what's coming has to come because we are a stiff-necked people, and there was a time when i thought i could be callous, if not "i told you so", about the suffering because it is deserved ... But the closer and closer i sense the dropping of God's hammer of correction upon us, suprise to me the more compassionate and prayerful of (un-deserved) mercy i'm becoming for others, my family, my grand-children especially, for i have no fear at all for myself ... None ... It's a most amazing thing for someone as chronically self-centered as myself ... He is truly a miracle worker of souls ...

This one i'm pdf'ing for my records, and printing out to meditate over ... But i must say the clarification brings me joy ... and great sadness at the same time ... :-D/ :-o

Blessings in Jesus who has taught us it's good to be compassionate and to weep over a Church/nation/people oblivious to God's pending correction ...

2007/9/6 9:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Wonder No More ...

Brother Rahman,

Do you remember about a month ago the headlines concerning Chavez's action to remove the broadcasting lisence of one of the news organizations in Venezuela?

All we heard from our press was how evil this action was. On every U.S. news station and every newspaper we were told that Chavez was acting more and more like a dictator. But I never heard once about why Chavez took action against this Venezuelan news organization. When I read your article here I also came across this article...

Eyes Wide Shut: The International Media Looks at Venezuela

By Mark Weisbrot

This article was published in the following news outlets:
International Business Times, August 13, 2007
Seminario La Voz (Argentina), August 14, 2007
Truthout, August 15, 2007

En español
See article on original website
Printer-friendly version

Most consumers of the international media will be surprised to find that the controversy over Venezuela's oldest TV station, RCTV, is still raging. We were repeatedly informed that President Hugo Chavez "shut down" the station on May 27th. But in fact the station was never "shut down" – since there is no censorship in Venezuela. Rather, the Venezuelan government decided not to renew the broadcast license that granted RCTV a monopoly over a section of the publicly-owned frequencies.

This is a big distinction, although the U.S. and international press blurred it considerably. Jose Miguel Insulza, the head of the Organization of American States, noted last month that the "Venezuelan government is empowered to do what it did (non-renewal of the license)" and cited Brazilian President Lula Da Silva's statement that not renewing RCTV's broadcast license was as democratic an act as granting it. Insulza added that "democracy is very much in force in Venezuela."  

These comments were not reported in the U.S. or other major media. Nor was Lula's original statement of the same argument. Nor was the statement of Lula's top foreign policy advisor, Marco Aurelio Garcia, who said "there are few countries in the world with as much freedom of the press as in Venezuela."

RCTV has not laid off any of its 3000 employees, and may reach as much as half the population through its cable and satellite operations. But the station is now battling the government again, claiming that it should not be subject to government regulation – including the law, which pre-dates Chavez, that domestic stations carry the president's speeches -- because it is an international station. The government argues that RCTV is a domestic outlet because almost all of its production and audience are in Venezuela.  

This month Venezuela's Supreme Court blocked the government from enforcing its order against RCTV on the grounds that the definition of "national audiovisual producer" was not clear enough. 

RCTV's owner, Marcel Granier, is an opposition leader who seeks to de-legitimize the Venezuelan government. He has had some success in this effort, most importantly in April 2002 when his station faked film footage to make it look like pro-Chavez gunmen were shooting down demonstrators on the streets of Caracas. This and other manipulations by the Venezuelan media helped provoke a military coup against the elected government. This is one of several reasons that the government of Venezuela declined to renew RCTV's broadcast license.  

Granier's most recent international organizing effort this year was also very successful. The international press glossed over RCTV's various attempts to help overthrow the government, reporting the dispute as an issue of "press freedom," and seemed unaware that such a TV station would not get a broadcast license in the U.S. or any other democratic country.  

Granier is betting that the international media and other U.S.-dominated institutions will also frame his current battle as a "free speech" issue, rather than a legal dispute over whether his station is a national channel and hence subject to the same regulations as other Venezuelan cable stations. This is a good bet.  

But then there is the Venezuelan reality, which is what Chavez and his government really care about. While most Americans and Europeans can be swayed by their one-sided media, Venezuelans get to hear both sides of this story. Venezuelans can turn on their TV and see extremely harsh criticism of their government every day. They can turn on their radio and find the airwaves actually dominated by anti-government "news" broadcasting. They can walk to a newsstand and find that most of the biggest newspapers are also dominated by anti-government reporting.  

So Venezuelans know that there is no "free speech" problem in their country. While there are problems with the rule of law, including street crime – as throughout most of the region – Venezuelans have not suffered a loss of civil liberties under the Chavez government, as we have for example in the United States since 2001. That is one reason why Hugo Chavez was re-elected in December by the largest margin of the 12 most recent Latin American presidential elections, despite facing an opposition-dominated media. Democracy is indeed "very much in force in Venezuela."

end of article...

Isn't Satan notorius for telling half-truths?

back at you Bro

In Christ
jeff

2007/9/7 0:44Profile
Rahman

Re:

Bro Jeff you wrote;
"Isn't Satan notorius for telling half-truths?"

--- Amen ... except now in the 21st century it's called "dis-information" ... :-o

Blessings in Him who is the Truth that sets us free! ...

2007/9/9 15:46Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
--- Amen ... except now in the 21st century it's called "dis-information" ...

The rulers of this world learned their lessons well from the likes of Nazi Germany's Goebells who said something to the effect...

If you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

When we see this misinformation technique being used by many in this generation wouldn't you think that people would begin to see and then to seperate themselves from those things that testify of Satan?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/10 7:31Profile
Rahman

As Blind As We Want To Be ...

Bro Jeff you wrote;
"When we see this misinformation technique being used by many in this generation wouldn't you think that people would begin to see and then to seperate themselves from those things that testify of Satan?"

--- satan is the great programmer, with all the programs for the easily programmable ... So no i wouldn't expect "people" to see it ...

But i would, and i believe God does too, expect His people to not only see it, but see thru it ...

We don't ...

and therein lies the problem ... :-(

Blessings in He who counsel us to buy of Him gold tried in the fire, and white raiment, and His eyesalve that we may see. ---

2007/9/10 9:47Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: As Blind As We Want To Be ...

Here is a current example of our media and those who decide what news to publish...

Oil prices rise on Mexico attacks

Mexican officials said a dozen or so facilities were attacked

Oil prices have surged to near record highs after a series of attacks on energy facilities in Mexico, the world's fifth largest crude exporter.

Following the Mexican attacks, which have been blamed on a left-wing rebel group, US light was up 37 cents at $77.86 a barrel in early Tuesday trade.

London's Brent crude also advanced, gaining 28 cents to $75.76 a barrel.

The rises come as oil producers' cartel Opec is meeting in Vienna. Opec is expected to keep its output on hold.

US light crude hit a record high of $78.77 a barrel on 1 August.

'Long-term problem'

Mexican officials have insisted that the dozen or so attacks will not hit the country's oil output, but have cut off a quarter of its natural gas flow.

Oil analyst Jim Ritterbusch, president of Ritterbusch & Associates, said that the situation in Mexico "could potentially pose a longer-term problem", which is why prices reacted so strongly.

The attacks were claimed by the People's Revolutionary Army, as part of what it says is a "prolonged people's war" against "the anti-people government".

Experts say it is a very secretive but also very small grouping.

Demand dispute

Opec's expected decision not to boost output comes despite calls from the International Energy Agency (IEA), which represents the world's top 26 oil consuming nations, that additional supplies will be needed to meet demand.

Economists have also suggested that an increase in Opec supplies, and the likely result that prices will fall, would help ease recent US economic and global stock market jitters.

Opec members counter that current supplies are sufficient.

Over the past year, Opec - which supplies more than a third of the world's oil - has cut deliveries by about 6%.

Its 12 member nations include Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria and Venezuela. Mexico is not a member.

end of article published by BBC.

I did not know this happened today...you would think that these terroist attacks would have or will make the front page...

I wonder why movie stars get front page notice and not the events that are important like terrorism in Mexico?

These events in Mexico are growing in scale and frequency. About 2 months ago a natural gas line was blown up and our local Hershey Companies factory in Mexico had to shut down. No one heard anything about it in Hershey...at least the working people...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/11 3:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy