SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Accountability Biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

Accountability Biblical?

Is Accountability with other Chrisitans Biblical?

2007/8/31 10:47Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re: Accountability Biblical?

James tells us to confess our sins to one another and Paul tells us to submit to our elders, so in that sense, absolutely.

2007/8/31 11:01Profile

Re:

Quote:

BeYeDoers wrote:
James tells us to confess our sins to one another and Paul tells us to submit to our elders, so in that sense, absolutely.

moe wrote:
Amen, We are accountable to God mainly and ultimately and also to those HE has put called and put in authority in HIS church. It is our responsibility to discern if these people are indeed called and we discern that through HIS WORD and SPIRIT.

2007/8/31 11:15
LoveHim

Indiana, US

i say yes. i don't see how confessing sins to one another, encouraging, helping, and guiding one another can be wrong. there is much scripture to warrent us to do these things to and for each other.

i think the problem comes from how someone "enforces" accountability. is it something that is demanded with only one person submitting to it or is it godly fellowship between equal brothers and sisters submitting themselves to God and each other? i chose the latter.

just my $0.02.
phil

2007/8/31 11:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
i think the problem comes from how someone "enforces" accountability. is it something that is demanded with only one person submitting to it or is it godly fellowship between equal brothers and sisters submitting themselves to God and each other? i chose the latter.

in True New Tetament fellowship we are to

Ephesians 5:21
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Colossians 3:16
teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Hebrews 3:13
encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

In Americas babylonian Church System we are to submit to the high priest, I mean pope, I mean pastor and be accountable to him primarily because he is CLERGY and we are LAITY.

In Christ - Jim

2007/8/31 11:58
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Is Accountability with other Chrisitans Biblical?

I think the answer depends on what is meant by 'accountability' and the framework under which that concept exists. In some circles today Shepherding has taken the authority to 'leadership' to all new levels. Folk are not even allowed to pray for one another without permission from the pastor. The whole idea is 'covering' and being under authority. This concept is almost alien to the New Testament.

In some cases a person may have to be dealt with or issues have to be dealt with by elders (wise persons) within the local church. This is especially true of moral sins. 'Accountability partners' are more of a invention, I think. But I don't think it to be unbiblical. The reason is that the worng types of questions are asked. The core question has to concern our relationship with God. If we are walking with God and communing with Him- everything will usually fall in place. If not- 1000 accountability partners will not keep you from sin.

2007/8/31 13:42Profile

Quote:
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1 Corinthians 14:32

If the prophets are subject (accountable) to one another, how much less are we accountable to one another?

2007/8/31 13:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy