Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : "Have Mercy Upon Me, Oh God"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

"Have Mercy Upon Me, Oh God"

“Have mercy upon me, O God.”
— Psalm 51:1

When Dr. Carey was suffering from a dangerous illness, the enquiry was made, “If this sickness should prove fatal, what passage would you select as the text for your funeral sermon?” He replied, “Oh, I feel that such a poor sinful creature is unworthy to have anything said about him; but if a funeral sermon must be preached, let it be from the words, ‘Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness; according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.’” In the same spirit of humility he directed in his will that the following inscription and nothing more should be cut on his gravestone:—

William Carey, Born August 17th, 1761: Died - -

“A wretched, poor, and helpless worm
On thy kind arms I fall.”

Only on the footing of free grace can the most experienced and most honoured of the saints approach their God. The best of men are conscious above all others that they are men at the best. Empty boats float high, but heavily laden vessels are low in the water; mere professors can boast, but true children of God cry for mercy upon their unprofitableness. We have need that the Lord should have mercy upon our good works, our prayers, our preachings, our alms-givings, and our holiest things. The blood was not only sprinkled upon the doorposts of Israel’s dwelling houses, but upon the sanctuary, the mercy-seat, and the altar, because as sin intrudes into our holiest things, the blood of Jesus is needed to purify them from defilement. If mercy be needed to be exercised towards our duties, what shall be said of our sins? How sweet the remembrance that inexhaustible mercy is waiting to be gracious to us, to restore our backslidings, and make our broken bones rejoice!

Spurgeon, C. H.

2007/8/29 4:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: "Have Mercy Upon Me, Oh God"

Thank you.

This message makes me consider my walk with God and how it needs 'work', to put it mildly.

God bless.

2007/8/29 11:00Profile

Re: "Have Mercy Upon Me, Oh God"

Quote:
“Oh, I feel that such a poor sinful creature is unworthy to have anything said about him; but if a funeral sermon must be preached, let it be from the words, ‘Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness; according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.’” - William Carey

Oh what words to come from one of God's faithful pioneering servants. Dr. Carey had many legitimate reasons to boast. His accomplishments in India were amazing, yet at the end of his life...to say such words...ah that is true growth in a Christian. We know we're growing in Christ when our opinion of ourselves is that of great need and our view of God is that of awe that He should love such an one as me!

Quote:
We have need that the Lord should have mercy upon our good works, our prayers, our preachings, our alms-givings, and our holiest things. The blood was not only sprinkled upon the doorposts of Israel’s dwelling houses, but upon the sanctuary, the mercy-seat, and the altar, because as sin intrudes into our holiest things, the blood of Jesus is needed to purify them from defilement.

Amen! Alleluia for the precious Blood of Jesus which cleanses me from all sin and anything in my life that is in the slightest way unChristlike.

[i]"Oh for true, unfeigned humility! I know I have cause to be humble, and yet I do not know one half of that cause. I know I am proud, and yet I do not know the half of that pride." ~ Robert Murray M'Cheyne[/i]

2007/8/29 11:45
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
“A wretched, poor, and helpless worm
On thy kind arms I fall.”

Only on the footing of free grace can the most experienced and most honoured of the saints approach their God.

May we all come to the place of seeing God fully as He is and ourselves fully as we are! Oh that you are mindful of me, yet in your Son you highly exalted me. Time will never cease to tell how wonderful you are.

[b]In me[/b] is no good thing. That needs to be our placard! But [b]in Him[/b] are all good things. And what a joy and glory that Christ is in us!

2007/8/29 15:35Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Yes, a question for all to ask. Who am I?

Exodus 3:11
And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?

1 Samuel 18:18
And David said unto Saul, Who am I? and what is my life, or my father's family in Israel, that I should be son in law to the king?

2 Samuel 7:18
Then went king David in, and sat before the Lord, and he said, Who am I, O Lord God? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?

1 Chron. 17:16
And David the king came and sat before the Lord, and said, Who am I, O Lord God, and what is mine house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?

1 Chron. 29:14
But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.

2 Chron. 2:6
But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him?

And His answer,

2 Cor. 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

What a glorious Saviour is ours!

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/8/29 18:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy