SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Need some understanding

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Need some understanding

"Which best describes you/me?: A good person who abides by a certain set of principals and guidelines commonly known as a thing called “Christianity,” or a person who you follows and loves some One named Jesus?

Large crowds were traveling with Jesus. He turned to them and said, "If people come to me and are not ready to abandon their fathers, mothers, wives, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as their own lives, they cannot be my disciples. So those who do not carry their crosses and follow me cannot be my disciples. "Suppose you want to build a tower. You would first sit down and figure out what it costs. Then you would see if you have enough money to finish it. Otherwise, if you lay a foundation and can't finish the building, everyone who watches will make fun of you. They'll say, 'This person started to build but couldn't finish the job.' "Or suppose a king is going to war against another king. He would first sit down and think things through. Can he and his 10,000 soldiers fight against a king with 20,000 soldiers? If he can't, he'll send ambassadors to ask for terms of peace while the other king is still far away. In the same way, none of you can be my disciples unless you give up everything.

(Luke 14:25-33)

Greetings Brothers and sisters,
This was sent to me through an email, well not just me to many, but still
I was wondering what does this passage in the Word mean? I know that it may sound like a strange question but it has been on my heart in one way or another and I really am hoping some of the brothers and sisters here might share what Father is showing them through this passage.
God Bless
MaryJane

2007/8/27 11:08Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Need some understanding

He is speaking of counting the cost to be a
disciple. There is a great message from our
brother Paul West on "Counting the Cost of
Carrying your cross" posted on this Sermon
Index site. It will give you some understanding
of this passage! :-D

2007/8/27 11:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Need some understanding

MaryJane wrote:

Quote:
If people come to me and are not ready to abandon their fathers, mothers, wives, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as their own lives,

Have you ever noticed this list does not mention husbands? It lists all the other human relationships: fathers, mothers, children, siblings, wives...Why do you think it is so? This question has offen nagged me and I have never heard a discussion on it...but have my idea...

What say?

ginnyrose.

2007/8/28 10:48Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

I had not noticed that before. Please do share what Father is showing you on this, I am interested to hear.

God Bless
Maryjane

2007/8/28 11:36Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re:

Quote:
Have you ever noticed this list does not mention husbands? It lists all the other human relationships: fathers, mothers, children, siblings, wives...Why do you think it is so? This question has offen nagged me and I have never heard a discussion on it...but have my idea...

I have an idea, just something to ponder.
Jesus may just have been addressing men at the time.
could have been a cultural thing.
not to be taken literally, or legalistically as to not mean everyone. It's probably based on the tence of the words to mean everyone, and husbands were just not mentioned or overlooked by the writer.

2007/8/28 13:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane,

I have been pondering your question all day yesterday, wondering how I can answer it with the fewest words possible.....I do not care for long posts! So here goes....

Consider 1Cor. 7:39: The wife is bound by the law as long as, her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord." Admittedly, this verse is discussing the marriage relationship but does the writer not hark back to a principle to which the people were familar?

When one studies the Scriptures of the role of [i]wives[/i] in the life of the home and society, one can easily see she was made to be a 'helpmeet' to her husband, even if the man is not a Christian. In the course of life, mothers can get so discouraged with parenting she could declare the LORD is calling her to another form of service. Not so. As I see it, the writers were very aware of the fragility of females and that we need a husband to protect us from our selves. (Note: I said wives - this is totally different from single femlales.) So we had better stay with it, serving God by being the best wife and and mother possible. Not a glamorous job, I know.

This is my understanding..hope I am clear.

ginnyrose

2007/8/29 7:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy