SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Mark 4:35-41 and the character of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Mark 4:35-41 and the character of Jesus

[i]On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”[/i]

I want to focus on this, [b][i]"But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow."[/i][/b]
Amazing! This is something pharisees and religionists can never understand.

"What are you doing sleeping! Don't you know all the warning in the book of Proverbs about loving sleep? [b]Get up[/b] and be diligent like the ant!"

"Don't you know that leaders must be servants? Don't let them do all the work by themselves, [b]pitch in and help[/b]!"

"Why are you so selfish Jesus, putting yourself and your needs before others?! Isn't serving others [b]more important than sleep[/b]?"

"What a tremendous opportunity to serve God! Jesus, you could be manifesting the glory of God by being a humble servant! But no, [b]you waste the opportunity on sleep[/b]."

"Jesus, you should not have rebuked them for being afraid. It is was the most perfectly natural thing to do in their situation. How [b]unloving, uncompassionate, unconsiderate, and cold[/b] to rebuke those poor men justly scared by a terrible storm!"

"Jesus, it was not right of you to go to sleep when you knew the storm was coming. [b]You should have warned the disciples[/b] and stayed awake to help."

And so on and so on. I see a great revelation of who Jesus was and why He did what He did in this passage. Jesus was not a man-pleaser, He was a God-pleaser. He did what God told Him to do and didn't worry about anything else.
"God says cross the sea? Alright I cross the sea. God says sleep? Alright I sleep. God says rebuke them? Alright I rebuke them."
Jesus didn't even pause for a moment to consider what [b]He Himself[/b] thought was best to do; He got all His instruction [i]straight from God, by the Holy Spirit, through the Word[/i]. And He obeyed without hesitation.

We should do the same!

2007/8/25 11:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy