SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matthew 7:7-12

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Matthew 7:7-12

[b]7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! 12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.[/b]

These are astounding words!

My question is about verse 12. It is in the same paragraph as 7-11 and it starts with "therefore". I have wrangled my mind around this for a long time, and today I looked at it again. I can't understand why it says, "therefore", I don't see any connection to verses 7-11. I might just say, "Well, it's not related at all" but it says, [i]"therefore"[/i] which implies a connection.

Does anyone understand this?

2007/8/25 10:33Profile
pastorfrin

Re: Matthew 7:7-12

Hi Nile,

Quote:
My question is about verse 12. It is in the same paragraph as 7-11 and it starts with "therefore". I have wrangled my mind around this for a long time, and today I looked at it again. I can't understand why it says, "therefore", I don't see any connection to verses 7-11. I might just say, "Well, it's not related at all" but it says, "therefore" which implies a connection.

Ask for others, not only for yourself. The fact that we are His children should lead us to follow Christ example and put others ahead of
ourselves; "by this shall all men know that ye are my disciples." Loving one another as He has loved us.
It is all about 'others'.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/8/25 11:05Profile
Logic

[b]Matthew 7:12[/b] [color=990000]All, then, whatever you should be wanting that men should be doing to you, thus you, also, be doing to them, for this is the law and the prophets.[/color]

In context, if you would ask for bread, would you want to be given a stone?

If you would ask for a fish, would you like to be given a snake?

Therefore, since God gives good things to those that ask Him, so hould you(Mat 7:11).

Therefore, whatever you desire that men should do to you, so also you should do to them(Mat 7:12).

In other words, be like God.

2007/8/25 11:12Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Ah, thanks to both of you. It make more sense now.
Nile

2007/8/25 12:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy